Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Value: 86 951 - 43K Miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:42 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AGE on old rubber careth little for mileage.

I have a daily-driven 952 with a quarter of a million miles on it. It's lived that long because of constant attention. And it's a Beauty. It's a Turbo S-spec (1989) and it would probably fetch about 10 grand... if I threw in all the spares which I have (which is a LOT). and mine is a head-turning beauty of a 951S.

So 18 grand for a car with LESS history, and (possibly) no recent belt-change is fantasy money.

Keith
Old 11-04-2009, 10:58 PM
prossi
Instructor

Originally Posted by BusterBluth82
Sorry for being vague....I doubt I will buy it, but the listing for the car is below, hopefully I am not violating any of the website rules by posting it. It doesn't mention the service records, and the guy from the dealership hasn't called me back...after about 5 hours.

I am thinking maybe I should look for an S2 to learn about the 944s and perhaps get a 951 when I have room to keep 2 cars. Anyone have experience with both? Can the S2 be nearly as fun?

I'm not really a fan of the boxter...or convertibles in general, so I have been looking at 911 3.2s and 944s. I'd prefer to spend under 13K or so knowing that a lot more will go into maintenance. That is really on the low end for 3.2 carreras, but defintely seems like it could get me a nice 944/951.

I live in chicago (lincoln square neighborhood). German neighborhood = German car imo

http://centercars.com/Preowned-Inven...oryId=27859833

i have both 951 and S2, in my opinion the S2 is a very fun car and compared to a stock non s turbo not much slower..........I may get lynched for saying that........... but i did say stock, of course you can mod a 951 easier but the S2 to me just has something about it that draws me more too it.........oh yeah it doesent break as much as my 951.
but seriously the 16v engines power band is very usable in daily life
if you can find an S2, which i had a hard time finding a NICE one id go for that, then if you really want a turbo put one on the S2 then you can build a big liter 16v turbo
Old 11-04-2009, 11:29 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a nice 968 for sale that would make a fun reliable daily driver.
Right in your budget.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:20 PM
BusterBluth82
AutoX

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Plan on at least doing a timing belt, rollers, water pump right away.
If I can ever get in contact with the seller, I plan to ask about records on these things? Anything else I should ask about?

Also, what cost would I be looking at to replace each item?

Really appreciate all the advice and help.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:26 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im hesitant of people who tell lies about their car and its options, dont know the HP (realistically), and over price it by about half. These are all really big red flags. i say they know nothing of this car and am looking to make a killing off of the sale. And you wont talk them down
Old 11-05-2009, 12:38 PM
BusterBluth82
AutoX

You might be right, but I am not in a big hurry. Since it is a dealer, I am not surprised he knows nothing about the car. Seems like dealers will always come down 20% or so from their list price. In this case, that is still too much for this car. If it does in fact have maintenance records and I PPI it and it comes back good I would just make an offer and when they say no I'll give them my phone number when/if they change their mind.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:53 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by BusterBluth82
If I can ever get in contact with the seller, I plan to ask about records on these things? Anything else I should ask about?

Also, what cost would I be looking at to replace each item?

Really appreciate all the advice and help.
The timing belt is the big one, because when it fails, it generally fails BIG, taking out pistons, valves, etc. So you want to stay on top of that one. If you pay someone to do it, I *think* the going rate is ~$2k, give or take. There's 2 decent shops around that have experience with Porsches - Fischer Motorsports in Barrington and Midwest Eurosport in Bensenville. Midwest did all the work on my car when the previous owner had it, and every time I've been in there for parts they've had 2-3 944's in the shop. Fischer also does good work but he's out in Barrington, kind of a hike for you. Both of these shops can also do a PPI for you if it gets that far.

http://www.midwesteurosport.com/
http://www.fischermotors.net/Blank.html

As for other stuff, I'll just refer you to http://clarks-garage.com/

Go through the "Buying a 944" section and the "951 FAQ". Lots of good info there.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:32 AM
BusterBluth82
AutoX

Thanks, that is a great site.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
IMO the problem with these low mileage cars is that you cannot really guarantee the low miles. The mileage is easily stopped or turned back on these cars. A well looked after and garage stored 80k car will look as good as a 40k car, and a stock 80k+ car is worth iro $6k to $8k in today's market.

Whatever the mileage it will still suffer some of the same issues as higher mileage cars. 944's have a lot of components that wear with age and not mileage. Even on a 40k car you will find age problems with vacuum lines, seals, bearings, belts, gaskets, wiring, etc.

The other problem with spending $19k on this car is that if you do use it as a daily driver, in four years time it will be an 80k car worth about $7k. That means the car has depreciated by $3k a year, and I don't find that level of loss acceptable for a 23 year old car.
+1 on this. Exactly spot on. IF the car had service records it MIGHT be worth $12 or so; without the records you are taking a chance on about $3K+ worth of work... that said, if they'd let you do a PPI somewhere else, then you could really see what shape it's in. Still wouldn't pay more than $12,500 if it was PERFECT.

Quick Reply: Value: 86 951 - 43K Miles