944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Slight Oil pressure drop...concern?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009 | 10:07 PM
eyeball kid
Racer

Default Slight Oil pressure drop...concern?

For the last month or so, I've noticed a slight drop in the oil pressure, as measured by the factory gauge, while accelerating from 5 to almost 4. Idle pressure when thoroughly warmed up remains around 3. Type of oil seems not to matter as I've run Bradd Penn and Castrol with no discernible difference. Ambient temps don't matter.

Should I be panicking about some impending disaster (though I know, realistically with these cars, the answer is always yes), looking for some other signs of the apocalypse (like chunks o' metal in the filter), or simply lighten up?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2009 | 11:59 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Relax and drive... my oil pressure sits where it wants to any more.. sometimes it is at 5, sometimes at 4.. idle anywhere above 1 is OK, sometimes mine likes 3..others it will flutter around 2...

I just figure a catastrophic failure will expedite a new engine!

280 miles today, oil pressure was all over the map.... I don't pay it much mind any more...
Old 11-09-2009 | 07:21 AM
edh
Advanced

I saw something similar a couple of years ago - on the factory gauge

When the boost built up, the pressure gauge dropped off a bit - kind of worrying when you spot it accelerating past 100mph down hangar straight at Silverstone!

After lots of worrying about engine failure we did the simple (and sensible) thing & fitted a second pressure sender that confirmed the factory gauge was faulty - we concluded that the dash wiring was probably a bit defective.
Old 11-09-2009 | 12:51 PM
eyeball kid
Racer

Thanks--one less thing to worry about.

Quick Reply: Slight Oil pressure drop...concern?