Got some parts back from the powder coater this weekend =D

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The cure for LR fuel rails

Originally Posted by ramius665
Lindsey Racing fuel rail mount failed. Cold fuel on hot engine = instant Hindenburg.
The best after market fuel rail for the 944 period.

http://reutterwerk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10151

Search my log on for RL thread

-BB
Old 10-31-2009, 04:57 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah... Makes me wanna do the CEP rail with my bigger injectors and new fuel lines. All in good time.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:30 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i want to powdercoat my big blacks to YELLOW for fun's sake. Kind of tired of black. I am between Massachustts and Philadelphia area a lot. Any suggestions ?

Allan -- Massachusetts -- 968 N/A but, soon going supercharged.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:24 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Would powdercoat work on brakes? My thought was brakes got way too hot for powdercoat.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:18 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Would powdercoat work on brakes? My thought was brakes got way too hot for powdercoat.
PC can take much more heat than most paints but is probably overkill. I used 'out of the can' Rustoleum and a paint brush on my black car. They never once discolored the paint even after serious steep mountain driving or bedding in new pads. I used paint because I didn't want to rebleed the brakes...yeah I'm that lazy.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:43 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Steve- Are you running zimmerman cross drilled rotors? I have the setup waiting to go on the S2 but would like to see how the rotors look after quite a bit of heat and miles. I'm split on whether to paint the hub of the rotor or not. Or powdercoat it. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my S2. Do you have any wheel off shots that wopuld better dictate how the paint and rotors have faired over time?

Thanks! and sorry for the slight OT.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:20 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

I've got Zimmerman rotors, and they LAST... No problems whatsoever after 3 years and 20k miles. Even survived an engine fire! In regards to painting them... DO IT. I didn't even think about it when I installed them, and the hats are rusted to hell. Looking back, for $5 in high-temp paint, they would still look factory new. In fact, after doing working my way through this engine rebuild, I will paint/powdercoat/re-zinc every part that I EVER take off the car from now on. If for no other reason than it keeps rust and corrosion at bay. And for a bit of time spent prepping and painting, it's completely worth the effort. Just wait until I get the engine back together, I'll post pics from before/after and you won't even recognize it's the same engine.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:33 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Steve- Are you running zimmerman cross drilled rotors? I have the setup waiting to go on the S2 but would like to see how the rotors look after quite a bit of heat and miles. I'm split on whether to paint the hub of the rotor or not. Or powdercoat it. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my S2. Do you have any wheel off shots that wopuld better dictate how the paint and rotors have faired over time?

Thanks! and sorry for the slight OT.
Yes they are Zimmerman CD I had them yellow zinc plated for $5/rotor from the vendor. The yellow zinc has held up much better than I would have expected and they have about 10K of hard fun run style mountain driving on them. What I liked about them was the cooling channels get plated also and that's where corrosion always seems to build up on an untreated rotor. I can't take a photo of the calipers (I sold the car) but they looked as good as the day I painted them IMO. I did keep the rotors though if you want me to take a pic of how they have held up. I would definitely paint the rotor hats if I was you but leave the cooling channels alone. They will cool better untreated or with plating; paint or PC will retain heat. This is the only pic I have of the calipers and this was after 3 years of use.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:23 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Looks like I will paint the rotors then.

And I know all about painting things. Every single bracket and piece under my S2 hood is either painted with high temp aluminum color or high temp semi gloss black. I've hand sanded everything and painted it all. Even went to the trouble of painting the hard metal brake line bracket on the rear brake system. All brake shields, struts, shocks, brackets on underside even. I've also replaced almost every bolt under the hood with a stainless steel one. So I know the pain staking work it is. Well worth it though!
Old 11-01-2009, 12:17 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Cory, I'm a little jealous. And here I thought that my wife and I were getting obsessed with sanding/painting/finishing everything! But every time I think we're almost over the edge, I look at the fire-charred pics from 6 months ago and get my second (or third, or fourth) wind.

Quick Reply: Got some parts back from the powder coater this weekend =D