Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Where are your front wheel bearings made?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:01 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Where are your front wheel bearings made?

A couple of weekends ago I decided to repack my front wheel bearings on my '87. Found out the PO had replaced them with Chinese bearings and packed the entire hub full of cheap grease. Looks like he replaced one bearing race, then gave up, so I have Chinese bearings running on German races with some really weird wear patterns and as you spin the wheel around, goes from tight to loose, back to tight. Nice, eh?

I ordered new bearings, races and seals from Pelican. Since they only had NTN bearings for the outers, I ordered all SKF instead - both are listed as OEM suppliers. What I got are bearings made in Mexico. Does anyone carry the German bearings and races? While I'm 100% positive that these Mexican bearings are going to be much better than the Chinese crap that's in there now, I'd really like to replace them with German ones.

I haven't been able to determine where the Elring Klinger seals were made (which are also listed as an OEM supplier along with Kaco).

I'm repacking the bearings with Lucas X-tra heavy-duty grease.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:13 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I always order my bearings from the Porsche dealer - because I'm **** that way... and they're rarely from Germany. Usually they're from Spain, sometimes Mexico.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:11 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want your car to have all of it's parts made in Germany, you are going to have a difficult time. Manufacturing has become a global business and the country of origin has little or no meaning anymore. Most of the parts that we replace on our cars are specified by Porsche but made by suppliers. These wheel bearings are an excellent example. The design engineer at Porsche picked them out of a bearing catalog many years ago. That bearing is probably used on other cars as well (an Audi perhaps) and any manufacturer can made them as long as the specs are met. There are a number of companies that will make bearings to that spec. As long as the original specifications are met, it really does not matter where the part is made. The problem arrises when a supplier takes shortcuts. The Chinese are becoming well known for this, but I don't know if you can make a blanket statement. I recently bought a DME relay and it was made in Hungary.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:28 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CurtP
A couple of weekends ago I decided to repack my front wheel bearings on my '87. Found out the PO had replaced them with Chinese bearings and packed the entire hub full of cheap grease. Looks like he replaced one bearing race, then gave up, so I have Chinese bearings running on German races with some really weird wear patterns and as you spin the wheel around, goes from tight to loose, back to tight. Nice, eh?

I ordered new bearings, races and seals from Pelican. Since they only had NTN bearings for the outers, I ordered all SKF instead - both are listed as OEM suppliers. What I got are bearings made in Mexico. Does anyone carry the German bearings and races? While I'm 100% positive that these Mexican bearings are going to be much better than the Chinese crap that's in there now, I'd really like to replace them with German ones.

I haven't been able to determine where the Elring Klinger seals were made (which are also listed as an OEM supplier along with Kaco).

I'm repacking the bearings with Lucas X-tra heavy-duty grease.
You get what you pay for...

Originally Posted by quinnfiske
If you want your car to have all of it's parts made in Germany, you are going to have a difficult time. Manufacturing has become a global business and the country of origin has little or no meaning anymore. Most of the parts that we replace on our cars are specified by Porsche but made by suppliers. These wheel bearings are an excellent example. The design engineer at Porsche picked them out of a bearing catalog many years ago. That bearing is probably used on other cars as well (an Audi perhaps) and any manufacturer can made them as long as the specs are met. There are a number of companies that will make bearings to that spec. As long as the original specifications are met, it really does not matter where the part is made. The problem arrises when a supplier takes shortcuts. The Chinese are becoming well known for this, but I don't know if you can make a blanket statement. I recently bought a DME relay and it was made in Hungary.
shortcuts are a part of their R&D
Old 10-20-2009, 12:48 PM
eniac
Drifting

*** bearings - Brazil
Old 10-20-2009, 01:50 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

*** bearings - Brazil
These bearings will meet the specs that *** demands. *** is a German company (I think). The fact that they are made in Brazil doesn't matter.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:42 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eniac
*** bearings - Brazil
From the Schaefller KG (***) interweb site... (yes they are a german corporation, with global reach...

"We produce precision products in 63 plants across the globe – everything from 2mm drawn cup needle roller bearings to large rolling bearings with an outside diameter of 4.25 meters."

They specifically have factories making wheels bearings from south to north america, as well as in europe...

yes they have A factory in Brazil... but as already stated, doesn't matter.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:06 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
From the Schaefller KG (***) interweb site... (yes they are a german corporation, with global reach...

"We produce precision products in 63 plants across the globe – everything from 2mm drawn cup needle roller bearings to large rolling bearings with an outside diameter of 4.25 meters."

They specifically have factories making wheels bearings from south to north america, as well as in europe...

yes they have A factory in Brazil... but as already stated, doesn't matter.
Nope doesn't matter. *** is a quality brand and is OEM on many Porsches and BMW.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:32 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Chinese wheel bearings are bad news. My supplier started selling them to me for customer cars, and the next thing I know I am changing wheel bearings on the same cars three months later.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

You can also get Timken bearing sets for the 944.

TIMKEN bearings
Old 10-20-2009, 10:36 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by spoolin51
You get what you pay for...

shortcuts are a part of their R&D
I don't mind paying extra to get what I'm looking for, but this is actually proving considerably more difficult than anticipated. Looks like there are more choices out there for the earlier cars (mine is an '87).

Originally Posted by eniac
*** bearings - Brazil
I've been looking for *** bearings with little success.

Originally Posted by quinnfiske
These bearings will meet the specs that *** demands. *** is a German company (I think). The fact that they are made in Brazil doesn't matter.
Then in that same note, it doesn't matter where the SKF bearings are made either. SKF (Svenska Kullagerfabriken) is a Swedish company who are a very well respected bearing manufacturer. They are the largest bearing manufacturer in the world. And I don't absolutely buy into the "it doesn't matter where they're made" mentality either. Someone is sticking their name on these Chinese bearings and they are absolute ****.

Again, it isn't really a question about the quality of these bearings, it's me wanting to use German bearings if possible because I'm ****. At this time, I don't think it's possible without jumping through considerable hoops.

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
You can also get Timken bearing sets for the 944.
Appreciate the link, but I question Timken bearings that are half the price of just about everyone else out there. Normally I'm a big Timken fan, but something doesn't smell right about those.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:34 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtP
...Appreciate the link, but I question Timken bearings that are half the price of just about everyone else out there. Normally I'm a big Timken fan, but something doesn't smell right about those.
I hear you and that's why I put in an inquiry to Timken as to where the 944 bearings are made. They could be China as far as I know. I don't care what company makes them, if a bearing looks like crap it usually is. I wish VBX made tapered automotive bearings, the quality is very good on all the ones I've ordered so far and they are US made. I was also amazed how universal the front 944 bearings are, they are on all sorts of vehicles; probably true for the rears also since they are sealed units.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:45 AM
azmi951
Drifting

Dont forget Japanese bearings, they are top notch. I NEEDED bearings in short order a few months ago, I was surprised to find the local vato zone had a set of Timken bearings.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:52 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I hear you and that's why I put in an inquiry to Timken as to where the 944 bearings are made. They could be China as far as I know. I don't care what company makes them, if a bearing looks like crap it usually is. I wish VBX made tapered automotive bearings, the quality is very good on all the ones I've ordered so far and they are US made. I was also amazed how universal the front 944 bearings are, they are on all sorts of vehicles; probably true for the rears also since they are sealed units.
If you pull up the bearings on RockAuto, it provides a cross-reference on what else the bearing fits.

On my search I have been finding posts saying that there are Timken bearings out there made in India and China and that they're not of good quality. I have a hard time believing Timken would stake their name on low quality bearings, so my assumption is that these are knock-offs.

Originally Posted by azmi951
Dont forget Japanese bearings, they are top notch. I NEEDED bearings in short order a few months ago, I was surprised to find the local vato zone had a set of Timken bearings.
Again, it isn't about a doubt to the quality of the bearings, it's me wanting to use German bearings if possible (provided they're good quality too). I have found Koyo outer bearings for my application. The picture of the NTN bearings I found drivewire dot com are marked as Japan as well.

Interestingly enough, the picture of the Ruville bearing says *** and Brazil on them.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have Swedish made SKF's

Quick Reply: Where are your front wheel bearings made?