Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New suspension is on... Finally got the stance the car deserved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 287 Posts
Default New suspension is on... Finally got the stance the car deserved!

The suspension is one of the important upgrades that I've agonized over since I purchased the car. luckily the stock suspension is so good, I was able to postpone replacing the suspension until many of the engine mods were complete and I could find the right set up.

I love rare parts & I always wanted to find something that wasn't an "off the shelf" aftermarket set up, but was also intended to provide a mainly street level of performance.

I had purchased 2 other suspensions (a rare 944 turbo cup bilstein & a very low mileage M030), though when this set up became available, I jumped at it (thanks Seacay)... It's a very rare Koni double adjustable (8742) F&R set that was produced for the "Showroom Stock" race series & just fully rebuilt by Koni. The fronts are basically M030 units, but with the added benefit of 12 compression adjustments. The rears also have the 12 compression settings along with helper springs.

Eniac spent a couple of days getting the torsion bar indexing right (may still replace the Tbars with stiffer springs), and the difference is incredible on the road. Still getting some rubbing on the 11" Ruf / 285/30/18 tires, but the rear fenders will be rolled soon...!

Thanks to Disasterman (again) for the use of his stunning shop & looking forward to the alignment / corner balancing session to get the settings dialed in!

I also used the KLA solid mounts from Paragon - have to say that I'm very disappointed with the quality control and Paragon's lack of customer care.... I'm not used to buying new parts & having them arrive in less than new condition.

Anyway - here are a few pictures.

Last edited by Nurburger; 10-12-2009 at 10:25 AM. Reason: reposition pictures
Old 10-11-2009, 10:48 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i see duct tape!
Looking very good
Old 10-11-2009, 10:48 PM
fourside
Instructor

Looks great. Those wheels are beautiful, by the way!
Old 10-11-2009, 10:50 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Good stance. No offense, but kind of shocked. Would have pictured your car being cleaner underneath than it is.

It does need an AIR splitter. You know that right?
Old 10-11-2009, 10:53 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In no time you will do the same thing I did, and sell the KLA mounts to offset your new Ground Control adjustable camber plates...

Looks great... And don't worry about the rubbing, I have 285s on 10 inch wide 18 inch rims and they are rubbing on the inside of the fender well... I plan to rectify that tomorrow...
Old 10-11-2009, 10:55 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
In no time you will do the same thing I did, and sell the KLA mounts to offset your new Ground Control adjustable camber plates...

Looks great... And don't worry about the rubbing, I have 285s on 10 inch wide 18 inch rims and they are rubbing on the inside of the fender well... I plan to rectify that tomorrow...
How do you plan on rectifying it? I also need to rectify some rubbing. I'm only running 255 series though Just have some rather largish spacers on there
Old 10-11-2009, 11:07 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

I believe John, like me is running an ET65 rear rim. I have rubbing on the inside too. 7mm spacer should do the trick perfectly. John, let me know what you go with!
Old 10-11-2009, 11:09 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Ah ok, I have rubbing on the outside
Old 10-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by 951_RS
i see duct tape!
Looking very good
Lol.... Yes - but I prefer to call it racing tape.... I just haven't had the time to get the car over to my body guy to have the 968 mirrors, door handles & euro 951 rear bumper painted. But now that you've called me out, watch this space....

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Good stance. No offense, but kind of shocked. Would have pictured your car being cleaner underneath than it is.

It does need an AIR splitter. You know that right?
Not really interested in splitters as this is a fast street car only and I'm not keen on them anyway... You are absolutely right on the state of my "undercarriage" & I'm quite embarrassed! Once I have the 928GTS calipers & new rotors, I will post pictures that rectify your impression....
Old 10-11-2009, 11:19 PM
joeytoad83
Rennlist Member

looks good
Old 10-11-2009, 11:19 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
I believe John, like me is running an ET65 rear rim. I have rubbing on the inside too. 7mm spacer should do the trick perfectly. John, let me know what you go with!
Correct on the ET65 rears, and I plan to lightly apply body hammer to the inside area where the rubbing is taking place, on both sides, and for outside on the fronts I plan to add camber...

OP, Splitter or not your car looks better than mine... Tape or no tape your underside is WAY cleaner than mine... Nicely done... now hurry up with those brake upgrades!
Old 10-11-2009, 11:26 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Yes, splitter or no splitter still dead sexy. It'll look even better with brakes to fill those wheels!
Old 10-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Looks great!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:32 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Correct on the ET65 rears, and I plan to lightly apply body hammer to the inside area where the rubbing is taking place, on both sides, and for outside on the fronts I plan to add camber...
Good luck and let us know how it turns out. If the rubbing is anything more than minimal, you will have trouble eliminating the problem with just a body hammer. My weapon of choice was a 4lb cross peen. The inner fender shell is very resilient to forming hits, as there is so much deflection throughout the entire structure.

Nurburger- the car looks pretty darn good.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:24 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

The rubbing on the inner fenders is very very light. Just barely enough to rub paint off on my car. I'm hoping with my new stiffer Koni's in back, it won't happen as much.

Quick Reply: New suspension is on... Finally got the stance the car deserved!