Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New suspension is on... Finally got the stance the car deserved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:12 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

does it handle a ****load better! less body roll, no more *** dropping on acceleration
Old 10-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 287 Posts

My rear Ruf's are 11" wide & ET60, so I'm not getting any rubbing on the inside - just on the sidewall of the tire. Rolling the fenders & getting the camber right should cure it.

I need an alignment & we haven't had a chance to play with the settings, so I haven't really pushed the car - but the first impression is that it's a great set up.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:14 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car in that green color, and those rims are just purely stunning!!

Old 10-12-2009, 07:39 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

WOW!!! I guess I should not be surprised, knowing Nurburger, but still WOW!!!

I love the rarity of the color and with the wheels, it rocks.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:21 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger
My rear Ruf's are 11" wide & ET60, so I'm not getting any rubbing on the inside - just on the sidewall of the tire. Rolling the fenders & getting the camber right should cure it.

I need an alignment & we haven't had a chance to play with the settings, so I haven't really pushed the car - but the first impression is that it's a great set up.
Nick, you have an email.

Once we give that side a more aggressive camber the rubbing issue should be eliminated without rolling the fenders although it would be a good idea to have that done anyway for some extra space.

Anyone who's seen this car in person would be amazed at the wonderful condition of the underside. It has been driven on the street for a few miles and is not a new off the line car but it sure as hell is the closest 951 to "off the line" I have seen since 1991. Every single plug, shield, bracket, bolt, screw, etc is still in place including the cam gear cover plug, battery cover, and even the little rubber plugs to cover the bat wing screw holes are still there.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:03 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as the construction is the same between a 951 and an early 944, rolling the rear fenders doesnt do much. The problem lies in that stupid shell inside. Get rid of that and you get at least half of an inch. I'm in the process of doing that. I flared the fenders as well.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
As long as the construction is the same between a 951 and an early 944, rolling the rear fenders doesnt do much. The problem lies in that stupid shell inside. Get rid of that and you get at least half of an inch. I'm in the process of doing that. I flared the fenders as well.
In this instance, rolling the fenders will solve the problem (along with some more camber). As mentioned, its just the very edge of the sidewall that is catching the forward portion of the inner fender lip under compression.

Stephen - I ordered the toe adjustment tool last night from Pelican....
Old 10-13-2009, 11:35 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nick,
looks awsome!
Not sure which I like better, the 951 or the M6.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:22 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

The Koni double adjustable shocks are a great choice. I put them on my car when the arms race was brewing in 944SuperCup. Lots of guys were going to Moton/Leda/Penske multi adjustable reservoir shocks, but the Koni doubles [with a LOT stiffer springing] still managed to beat 'em.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDude1
Nick,
looks awsome!
Not sure which I like better, the 951 or the M6.
Lol - me neither! I guess it's like trying to decide which of the kids is your favorite (not that I have kids, thankfully).

Originally Posted by APKhaos
The Koni double adjustable shocks are a great choice. I put them on my car when the arms race was brewing in 944SuperCup. Lots of guys were going to Moton/Leda/Penske multi adjustable reservoir shocks, but the Koni doubles [with a LOT stiffer springing] still managed to beat 'em.
It was difficult to find much information on this suspension, so I'd love to learn more about your experience with it! Thanks for posting.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=Nurburger;6978486]
I also used the KLA solid mounts from Paragon - have to say that I'm very disappointed with the quality control and Paragon's lack of customer care.... I'm not used to buying new parts & having them arrive in less than new condition.

Nick, in fairness I spoke with you concerning your issue. You thought the mounts were used because of the machining marks on the plates. I compared them to a set we had in stock and they had similar marks to the ones we sent you. We even checked to make sure we had not had a set returned that perhaps a customer had installed and then sent back...we hadn't. Your email to me indicated that they were still wrapped in the bubble wrap as they are when we receive them from KLA. I also corresponded with Scott at KLA who said:

"I guarantee they are not used. Some imperfections may be present as we do not pay our machinst to put a surface finish on the piece. We do our best to keep costs resaonable and surfacing parts adds to their cost."

I certainly take pride in our customer service so I'd like to know how we dropped the ball here. Customers are always welcome to return a product they're not happy with.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 10-18-2009, 02:10 AM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Jason @ Paragon Products;6988417]
Originally Posted by Nurburger
I also used the KLA solid mounts from Paragon - have to say that I'm very disappointed with the quality control and Paragon's lack of customer care.... I'm not used to buying new parts & having them arrive in less than new condition.

Nick, in fairness I spoke with you concerning your issue. You thought the mounts were used because of the machining marks on the plates. I compared them to a set we had in stock and they had similar marks to the ones we sent you. We even checked to make sure we had not had a set returned that perhaps a customer had installed and then sent back...we hadn't. Your email to me indicated that they were still wrapped in the bubble wrap as they are when we receive them from KLA. I also corresponded with Scott at KLA who said:

"I guarantee they are not used. Some imperfections may be present as we do not pay our machinst to put a surface finish on the piece. We do our best to keep costs resaonable and surfacing parts adds to their cost."

I certainly take pride in our customer service so I'd like to know how we dropped the ball here. Customers are always welcome to return a product they're not happy with.
Functionally the plates are fine however they did appear to have been tossed around or dropped a few times which caused some pretty ugly gouges in an otherwise nicely machined part.

Jason, you should be aware that Nick's cars....all of them, are near perfect and he takes great effort in keeping them that way. I saw the mounts as they came out of the box and they did appear like something that was bought used off ebay. Now on a track/race car this probably would not matter to the average person however on a mint condition street car, chips and scratches in new parts do matter.

I drove 4 hours total to install these parts for Nick, at that point I was there and ready to put the suspension on. It was a bit late to return the plates for some that were not badly scratched up. If I worked for your company, or any company, I would not have shipped these out in this condition. IMO it's a "scratch and dent" item. That is how I feel the ball was dropped. Nick may have other reasons but that's my opinion.

I personally have no issues with Paragon and will continue to keep them as one of my 4 main vendors for parts however I wanted to hopefully have you see Nick's point of view on this.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products

Jason, you and your colleague dropped the ball by not getting back to me as promised. Simple as that. I also have to say that the attitude of the first guy I spoke to was less than pleasant.
When we first spoke I stated that I was shocked that KLA (and Paragon) would allow parts to be sold with the type of marks that mine came with - but if they are all like that, it is what it is...
You were going to speak to them and let me know - but as mentioned, that never happened.
My only option was to sand the surfaces down to eliminate the scratches / gouges I could due to time (as Stephen stated above). Unfortunately they still look like second hand parts.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like I failed to forward the communication from Scott at KLA to you (the one i copied above) so that's my fault. I had two emails from you...one with the pictures and then one in response to my email saying the others on the shelf had similar marks and asking you if they mounts were wrapped in bubble wrap. Your last email said you were going to make a post on rennlist to see if others had the same issue. No matter what, I'm sorry your experience with us was unsatisfactory...particularly since it looks like its your first order with us. To my knowledge, we have not had a complaint regarding this item before so no red flags are raised for the shipping dept. to inspect before shipping. Needless to say we ship quite a few items every day so inspecting every item is sometimes not possible. Items that have been a problem in the past (glass or fragile items) are definitely inspected. As time passes we add items to our list of things to eye before shipping so this will be added. As I mentioned earlier, for over 15 years I've tried to make customer service our number 1 priority...going back to the days of when it was me, myself and I to take orders, receive freight, ship orders etc. Things have obviously changed from then as we've grown and certainly there's always room for improvement.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:09 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Jason, I for one still love you man...

BTW, I'll probably be placing yet another order from you guys shortly..followed by another and another...

I need a frequent shopper discount card like at the grocery store....

to the OP, I too had a set of the KLA mounts, and was not overly content with the end appearance, so I went with a set of ground controll mounts... I believe this is best chalked up to "getting what you pay for" if they looked as good as they fit, they would cost double at least... BTW the GC plates are very nice, and you don't have to adjust them off of the stock positions if you want to stick with stock...

The KLA mounts are a case of function over form while maintaining a decent price... they work well for what they are, but probably won't win any beauty contests... but I knew that when I ordered mine...

Quick Reply: New suspension is on... Finally got the stance the car deserved!