Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Theoretical: AOS delete on non-dry sump

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009 | 09:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Default Theoretical: AOS delete on non-dry sump

If one needed more space in the engine bay and the oil filler neck was in the way and decided to remove the AOS and plug the block, what would be a solution to keep the crankcase vented? Filling oil could be done through the cam tower ports. Would a LR Breather tank work on its own, or could a $5 GM PCV be made to work?
Old 10-11-2009 | 09:40 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

I considered this when making my downpipe etc. Youcould vent a camtower plug and fill through there as well, might be a bit small but it would work
Old 10-11-2009 | 09:47 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

I would vote for the PCV conversion. Maybe use the top AOS port to stick in a PCV?

I haven't looked at the LR breather kit to know for sure where it mounts, or how it works, but as long as you're pulling vacuum from the crankcase, anything will work.
Old 10-11-2009 | 09:53 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

If you do attempt this, please make a detailed write up for the community!
Old 10-11-2009 | 11:04 PM
xtaC
Racer

Originally Posted by Dougs951
If you do attempt this, please make a detailed write up for the community!
+1 Mines apart for a rebuild at the moment, and I have been pondering this also ....
Old 10-12-2009 | 12:42 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

actually im planning on machining a plug for the bottom port and fab up some smaller fill tube for the top port
Old 10-12-2009 | 04:54 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Ok then, I guess I might give it a try unless someone can give me some reason why not to do it.

This would be for my supercharger. Today after cutting up manifolds and stuff I found that my A/W intercooler at the right position relative to where my cutoff runners will be will need to go where the AOS is for one corner. It's a big unit.

My AOS has been leaking a bit anyways so maybe I'll put some large allen plugs in the holes instead.

Since it needs to be a vacuum system I think I'll use a generic PCV valve with a hose plumbed from the upper AOS hole to somewhere before the SC intake point. This will mean I will get oil on my rotors but hey maybe it will cool them down or something.

Isn't that how it's done on the turbo models anyways? Oil vapor hits intake just before the turbine?
Old 10-12-2009 | 10:27 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

We have a kit under production. All CNC:ed parts are more or less finished. I hope i can put here some pictures during this week.I needed space for my bigger plenum, so i needed this kit myself.
I suppose these items will be available also in the USA via a Rennlist suporter.

actually im planning on machining a plug for the bottom port and fab up some smaller fill tube for the top port
This might not be a good idea, from lower port there is a tube which routes oil directly to the oil pan.From upper port it's at least slower. We use both ports in our kit, lower for oil and upper for breathing, just like the original system does.
Old 10-12-2009 | 12:12 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
We have a kit under production. All CNC:ed parts are more or less finished. I hope i can put here some pictures during this week.I needed space for my bigger plenum, so i needed this kit myself.
I suppose these items will be available also in the USA via a Rennlist suporter.

This might not be a good idea, from lower port there is a tube which routes oil directly to the oil pan.From upper port it's at least slower. We use both ports in our kit, lower for oil and upper for breathing, just like the original system does.
What is your plan for the side port on the AOS that the turbo oil drain vent goes to? It was obviously put there for a reason and the oil drain does go to the lower part of the oil pan, which I find odd.
Old 10-12-2009 | 01:32 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman

where will your breather be and where will the pcv be mounted? im thinking a breather tube to the upper AOS hole and the pcv in the cam tower.
Old 10-12-2009 | 02:34 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

All i want to say at the moment is every single OEM function will be there.
Old 10-12-2009 | 04:46 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Olli- Will be very let down if I don't see picture this week lol. I'm very interested in this. Would love to delete the crappy AOS. I'd have no problem filling my oil via a Cam tower plug.
Old 10-12-2009 | 05:29 PM
xtaC
Racer

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Olli- Will be very let down if I don't see picture this week lol. I'm very interested in this. Would love to delete the crappy AOS. I'd have no problem filling my oil via a Cam tower plug.
This .... bring it on Olli
Old 10-12-2009 | 08:29 PM
eniac
Drifting

Don't bother with the Lindsey can. Use a Saikou Michi dual catch can, one venting from the top of the AOS and also the cam tower, the second can comes from the lower port. Both cans pull vacuum from the intake before the turbo. You may need to add a breath or PVC inline on the cam tower or the lower port if too much vacuum is being pulled.
Old 10-12-2009 | 09:00 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

think this would be an effective setup? i like to visualize things lol.

breather tube picks up before AFM and goes to the upper AOS hole, and then the vapors would come out one of the cam tower plugs to the PCV just after the throttle.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Theoretical: AOS delete on non-dry sump