Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pelican Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Acetylene
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pelican Confusion

I just got off the phone with Pelican as I was trying to order AOS seals, manifold gaskets, etc. The first guy transfered me to the Porsche guy, Glen. He had no clue which parts I was talking about. Once I explained what I was looking for he told me there were five seals. I told him I thought there were only three and he said, "Oh ya, I see two uppers and one lower." I said I thought he had that backward and he agreed. I told him I didn't want to risk messing the order up and asked if Jason was available, as I have seen his name used a time or two. Glen said he (Jason) was not in, but he probably wouldn't know as he really didn't like the 944 and pushed people to Glen - which he said makes him mad because he doesn't know the cars either???????????????????????????
Is there someone I can call, besides Porsche, that can sell me some basic parts at a reasonable price? I use Lindsey and SFR for the performance stuff, and had used Pelican in the past, but if they don't know my car - you do sell parts for my car, right? - or don't like my model (very offended here) why would I use them again?

Sorry for the rant.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:50 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Jason (an expert and immensely helpful) is at Paragon...
Old 10-08-2009, 08:50 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Call jason at paragon-products.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Acetylene
Pro

Thanks guys. One more of the many many reasons why I love this site.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys can get Jason when you call Paragon? Wow, I get Chuck all the time and he is really good, patient.

Glenn @ Pelican is usually very knowledgeable. Great guy, but then I usually have part #'s.

Understand, these guys get paid by total sales receipts. Put yourself in their shoes: You want to be friendly and helpful, but some guy calling you ordering 4 seals, some gaskets and a sticker ("No, I dont have a part #. . . ") worth a total of $25 is eating into time you could be selling some B&B headers to some 911 guy.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:26 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Matt Sheppard
You guys can get Jason when you call Paragon? Wow, I get Chuck all the time and he is really good, patient.

Glenn @ Pelican is usually very knowledgeable. Great guy, but then I usually have part #'s.

Understand, these guys get paid by total sales receipts. Put yourself in their shoes: You want to be friendly and helpful, but some guy calling you ordering 4 seals, some gaskets and a sticker ("No, I dont have a part #. . . ") worth a total of $25 is eating into time you could be selling some B&B headers to some 911 guy.
I always just e-mail Jason... he has always been quick to reply, and has always been spot on, even correcting a mistake I made when ordering my ARHK...
Old 10-08-2009, 09:54 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I always just e-mail Jason... he has always been quick to reply, and has always been spot on, even correcting a mistake I made when ordering my ARHK...
Same here and I always get a thank you email when it ships.

I have also had him on the phone for 15 mins discussing suspension options...and learned a ton.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:02 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Sheppard

I usually get Chuck but on occasion I get Jason. Both are a pleasure to deal with because they know their stuff.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:12 PM
67King
Race Car

Oh, boy. Not a good sign. Recently ordered all new stone guards (edit - from Pelican) and stainless brake hoses. One of the stone guards was yellow. The brake hoses were wrong. The replacement stone guards was a 993 part that was mislabeled as a 944 part. Callled them, told them they had a problem in their inventory. I was assured they didn't. Third try at the stone guard..............same 993 part I told them was wrong. Called again, and they just sent me a return sticker. We'll see if the fourth time is the charm.

Last edited by 67King; 10-10-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 10-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I always look up the part numbers I need and order them on Pelican's online site. Never had a mistake and stuff shows up next day with no shipping charges.

If you are looking for a know-all 944 parts guy in FLA, look no further than Ian at 944online.com He has virtually everything on the shelf, and knows 944 parts as well as anyone.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:24 AM
a914luvr
1st Gear

Thanks for the kind words Matt. It's really hard to know everything about every car as I sometimes feel is expected of me. It was late in the day, I've never worked on a 944 engine and I was a little confused looking at that particular PET diagram at that moment. Excuses aside, if you want to be 100% certain your getting the parts you need to do an essential repair on the upcoming weekend when your going to have a friend in town to help with the work (as I remember the story) then have your part numbers ready. I do appreciate being let off the hook though. I apologize for getting flustered, saying what I did & not being able to earn your confidence and complete the sale. In hindsight, this wasn't that complicated and on most any other day and time, I handle a parts request like this easier and better.

I know a fair amount about 944's and so does Jason. What I said about Jason at Pelican was not meant to be a knock on him, but it is my opinion he doesn't like the cars and will sometimes send 944 customers to me. I, in turn, sometimes send customers to him if I think he's better suited to help that person. Regardless of the dollar amount of a sale, I will always try to be helpful and get the customer the correct parts.

Glenn
Old 10-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

67King, it wasn't Paragon you were dealing with was it???

And yes, I do still talk on the phone ;-)

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 10-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Don't the AOS reseal kits come with 5 - although only 3 are needed- because AOSs varied in the models?

Correct me if I'm totally wrong on that.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:01 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
67King, it wasn't Paragon you were dealing with was it???

And yes, I do still talk on the phone ;-)
No, it was Pelican. I don't even think I thought to look at y'all, to be honest. I think of Paragon as more performance oriented, rather than a source for what I guess I'd call restoration related. In looking at your site, I don't even see the stone guards.

Having said that, if you had that problem, too, I am not surprised. I ALWAYS use part numbers when I order stuff. I'm shocked to read that apparently many people don't. Anyway, I tried to tell Pelican that they probably had a supplier mislabel a bunch of parts. The part in question is a 944-559-326-00, and I keep recieving a part that is labeled that way, but is really a 993-559-326-04 part. If y'all are having the same problem, whoever y'all's supplier is is causing headaches across many vendors.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Paragon rocks, I have used them for years. I have also used Pelican and never had a problem however there not as personal on the phone..

Quick Reply: Pelican Confusion