Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine installation problems....

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:41 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine installation problems....

I took out my motor yesterday to re seal the oil pan, and I usually drop it out the bottom with the suspension and x member, but I thought I'd try it differently and take it out the top. Big mistake... I ended up getting it out but at a very extreme angle where the t-tube shaft was almost bending upwards (not actually bending) trying to get the oil pan to clear the x-member. Now going back in, the shaft is in the bellhousing but refuses to go the last 3-4 inches. I tried to put longer bolts in and work it in slowly be ratcheting them in, but I stripped the threads in the bellhousing, TWO of them doing that. Do you think the clutch disc moved enough to cause this? I think if that was the case I wouldn't be able to get the shaft in at all right? If I have to take this out again I am going to put a freakin bullet through the block and call it a day.......
Old 09-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Any chance the fork hit something on the way out and let the disk slip? If it is being physically blocked from going in, sounds like you'll need to take it apart and see what's going in. Sorry about that.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:49 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem when I replaced the clutch. I was told to connect up the hydraulics and have someone push in on the clutch pedal while turning/pushing the TT in. Worked like a champ. I know it may not be not much help in your situation, but thought I'd mention it... Could (can) you get a clutch alignment tool in there OK?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:01 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mtnman82
I had the same problem when I replaced the clutch. I was told to connect up the hydraulics and have someone push in on the clutch pedal while turning/pushing the TT in. Worked like a champ. I know it may not be not much help in your situation, but thought I'd mention it... Could (can) you get a clutch alignment tool in there OK?
Exellent idea! I will try it tomorrow... thanks guys.....
Old 09-23-2009, 11:05 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

not sure about how the gear fits on a 951 but when pulling a 944 or 968 motor out the top ive had to remove the tranny to slide the torque tube back enough.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Arrrggh….never try to force anything on a Porsche…if it don’t fit there is a reason – and forcing it will only cost you serious money.
Most likely the clutch disk moved a little when you had it at the extreme angle. Now the disk is not aligned and the drive shaft will not go in to the pilot bearing (which may be toast since you tried to force it). If it won’t go the last couple of inches take a large pry bar (this is the only time you will ever hear me endorse the pry bar tool for use on a Porsche!) and release the pressure plate to allow the clutch disk to move. You can do this through the clutch fork inspection port – use the pry bar as a lever to move the clutch fork – it only takes a little but it is very stiff.

Before you do that – you have to remove the engine and check the pilot bearing….you will be really pissed if you get it all together only to have to pull it out again to replace the pilot bearings…

BTW – I was out in the shop to midnight last night installing an engine…and yes, I used the prybar…
Old 09-24-2009, 12:08 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When putting an engine in from the top, the crossmember still needs to be dropped. This includes disconnecting the steering shaft at the rack and unbolting the caster blocks.
With that done, the transmission can stay in place and the engine doesn't need to be at any crazy angles to install.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:34 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Done , done and done! What mtnman82 said worked. THANKS mtnman82! Pilot bearing is fine, thanks for the input chris. I do use a prybar to seperate the TQ tube and the bellhousing.... and everywhere else I can stick it....lol. Wait, that sounded kinda wierd......

Quick Reply: Engine installation problems....