Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Braided stainless brake lines - wrong fittings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:26 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Braided stainless brake lines - wrong fittings?

Ordered a set from Pelican. They claimed that there was a change in '88. The only thing I could figure that would make a difference with that was that with the Turbo S, there may have been an across the board change.

Anyway, the fronts have female fittings at both ends. Problem is, the hoses on the car have a male on one end, and a female on the other. I can't use these hoses, as the caliper needs a male fitting.

Anyone know what the deal with this is? Was there a change somewhere, or did '88's have a mixtutre of calipers?

Finally, anyone know if the S's are different? I recently had a barn find, and may be getting one (see https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...barn-find.html). I'm wonderinng if I'll end up with a different kind of fitting if I end up getting the S.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:14 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

From the Paragon site:
"Note: Check your front factory brake lines to see if they screw directly into the caliper or if the flexible line attaches to a hard line that then attaches to the caliper. POR500 lines are set up to screw directly into the caliper and POR550 are set up to attach to a hard line coming out of the caliper. Choose the right set for your car."

This is a mistake made by many folks... contact paragon to see if you can swap out kits...
Old 09-18-2009, 05:07 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
From the Paragon site:
"Note: Check your front factory brake lines to see if they screw directly into the caliper or if the flexible line attaches to a hard line that then attaches to the caliper. POR500 lines are set up to screw directly into the caliper and POR550 are set up to attach to a hard line coming out of the caliper. Choose the right set for your car."

This is a mistake made by many folks... contact paragon to see if you can swap out kits...
Crap. That explains it, but I ordered from Pelican, not Paragon. I have to send something else back, anyway, as they had a supplier mislabel some stone chip guards, and I ended up with 911 parts, rather than 944 ones.

Still would like to know, if anyone can attest to it, if the Turbo S brakes have that hard line or not (as referenced above).
Old 09-18-2009, 10:55 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Photos from my '89... hard line on the caliper.
Attached Images   
Old 09-19-2009, 12:06 AM
67King
Race Car

Thanks, Saga! Picture is worth 1,000 words. My Leda's don't have that tab on them, anyway, so I definately need the other style. I assume the hard line is pretty easily removed from the caliper?

Quick Reply: Braided stainless brake lines - wrong fittings?