Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 turbo for sale, parts for sale, feeler thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 05:26 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doc is right about parts right now - you will take a severe beating to sell parts...... nowhere near the buyers and those buying are selective only where they can get a steal.

Salvage title only matters in two contexts......... if you go to sell.............. and if there is ever a future incident - insurance payout may be tricky the second time around when the car already has a salvage title.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:09 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
Is the car totaled? I missed that part but even if it is, fixing it and keeping it wouldn't matter to me if it had a salvage title or not.

Now my car they gave me a non-repairable title. Which means the car could never be tagged again.
The car was a total loss and they WILL not re insure it for more than liability. Which means basically no insurance and there is no way in hell im doing that. I not only need full comprehensive with collision but, I also need agreed value. The car will basically be a running liability. Whenever it does get into a accident again they will NOT pay out on it.

I could I suppose change insurance companies, get an out of state rebuilt title and try and go from there but, it just seems like a lot of work when my settlement check was pretty good IMHO. That tagged with parting money I think I'll be alright to some degree on something else. Its true I'm taking a bath on previous investment but, isn't that the way things go when you put 50k into a 5k car??

So the parts market is just that bad huh.... sigh I don't exactly know what im going to do then. The car needs another 10k to be perfect and now I won't be able to get proper insurance. It just seems like someone is trying to tell me something ya know.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:37 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
The car was a total loss and they WILL not re insure it for more than liability. Which means basically no insurance and there is no way in hell im doing that. I not only need full comprehensive with collision but, I also need agreed value. The car will basically be a running liability. Whenever it does get into a accident again they will NOT pay out on it.

I could I suppose change insurance companies, get an out of state rebuilt title and try and go from there but, it just seems like a lot of work when my settlement check was pretty good IMHO. That tagged with parting money I think I'll be alright to some degree on something else. Its true I'm taking a bath on previous investment but, isn't that the way things go when you put 50k into a 5k car??

So the parts market is just that bad huh.... sigh I don't exactly know what im going to do then. The car needs another 10k to be perfect and now I won't be able to get proper insurance. It just seems like someone is trying to tell me something ya know.
Thats very hard to believe from the pictures you showed us. Was the frame the nail in the coffin?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:55 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

John- Take it from me personally. My S2 was totaled out by insurance. I destroyed the front bumper in it's entirety, splitter, both struts, radiator and ac condensor pushed into the motor, oil cooler destroyed, inner fenders ruined, windshield destroyed, numerous scratches and bent fender. Scratched my beautiful '91 S2 hatch up, even! Not to mention I tweaked the roof some!

I bought all my parts from 'listers, including a front end from Dan (xsboost). I had close to 13k into the car at the time of the wreck. Insurance paid out 11.8k. I bought it back for under 2100 and got a 8700 check. I had the car driveable again for under 3k total (including buy back). The car is now awaiting a complete front suspension re-build (all new bushings). Bran new brakes all around, new windshield and everything to make it as good if not better then before. I only have 5k or so into it now. But realistically, 16-17k.

It's better then ever now. Best decision I've ever made, PLUS I got my '87 turbo out of the deal. I was going to part this car. I was insane for thinking that. I can't wait to get it back on the road. It'll feel like a million bucks and never will you be able to tell it was once a totaled out car.

And yes...it really IS worth all the hassels of title and insurance. Think of what all you've been through with that car. All the old races on your old setup. I remember watching those videos over 4 years ago when I wasn't even legal to drive!! I always liked your car and it is a very well known car on this forum as you are yourself. Don't throw in the towel man. I'd really hate to see a car I've always looked up to...gone!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:13 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

Get collector car insurance, they insure for agreed value and it's typically cheap because you insure it as limited use. Too bad you're so far away we have a frame guy local that uses lasers and sonic measuring tools when doing framework. He's usually accurate to 2mm tolerance.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:21 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by badcoupe
Get collector car insurance, they insure for agreed value and it's typically cheap because you insure it as limited use. Too bad you're so far away we have a frame guy local that uses lasers and sonic measuring tools when doing framework. He's usually accurate to 2mm tolerance.
You cant drive the car to work or other places. only to special events or sunday drives. in the fine print (this is where they get you)
Old 09-15-2009, 08:37 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I normally would be against fixing a salvage title car, but in this case you can't loose. Is the frame rail kinked or just over???? If it is kinked (highly doubtful from the photos and description) then mandatory replacement or section of rail. I would not mess with straightening a kinked rail, if just over, then get it pulled and get back on the road!!!!! Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:47 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

get another shell ....and not a 968 they are a ripp off
get a 944 NA they are worthless. THIS IS RENNLIST ...... how many strait shells are around here ??
i have 3 myself ..
Old 09-15-2009, 10:30 PM
fastmover
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
get another shell ....and not a 968 they are a ripp off
get a 944 NA they are worthless. THIS IS RENNLIST ...... how many strait shells are around here ??
i have 3 myself ..

This is exactly what I would do John. Take the settlement check, get a shell and swap out the parts needed and then sell off the rest when done. all and all you put alot of money into parts for the white car, but parts are parts, you have a nice collection of goodies and the car runs great, think of the shell as another part and not the entire car.
If I was in the position I would buy the car from you I really enjoyed your car when it was done.

Semper fi
Old 09-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Euro951
Racer

Fix the car, change insurance companies. There are alot of people who insure salvage vehicles. If you don't want to have salvage title on your vehicle I would suggest taking the car to multiple body shops for estimates. Find one who will repair the car for a reasonable price and ask your insurance company to pay for the repair and not to brand the title as a salvage vehicle. Its hard to tell just by looking at the pictures but the damage does not seem severe. I tell you that with all of my 20 years in the auto/service/autobody business. Trust me.. it is in your best interest to keep the car, that is the only way you won't get hosed financially.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:32 PM
carlege
Drifting

i guess fixing it involves having to live with liability... i can see how this can be an issue with a "perfect" car that makes the decision really tough. And the fact that you will have that accident on your record for the next 3 years makes you not the best option for insurance companies to give you deals if changing is an option
Old 09-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Euro951
Racer

For what its worth, it will probably take 6-12 months for the title to be branded. Also, I would check with collector car insurance for coverage options. Alot of older vehicles have salvage titles for very small amounts of damage. I once saw a insurance company total a E30 M3 in 2000 for minor damage to the rear "hatch" and trunk because OEM parts were so expensive. Otherwise the car was completely fine, the rear hatch glass wasn't even broken.....
Old 09-15-2009, 11:55 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

I agree with euro I see some damned nice cars at salvage sales with bad title's totalled over piddly crap.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:32 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to hear John. It would be hard for me to part it! Good luck with it man!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

You may want to check in with John Hajny - http://redlinerennsport.homestead.com/ (he hangs out in the racing forum) - he is a great fabricator and also does repair work - he is in the Binghamton area so not that far away.

I trusted him with my paint / repair work - and I am pretty picky...

Quick Reply: 944 turbo for sale, parts for sale, feeler thread