Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   944 turbo for sale, parts for sale, feeler thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/524151-944-turbo-for-sale-parts-for-sale-feeler-thread.html)

porshhhh951 09-15-2009 02:22 PM

944 turbo for sale, parts for sale, feeler thread

Okay so im still not exactly sure yet what I want to do with the car. I need some advice. I have several options to me. I could part out the entire thing, I could sell the entire thing as it sits, I could repair only the cosmetic damage(leaving the frame tweaked) if it would help sell the car for more and get more buyers.

What is the best way to go about getting the most money. I'm crying looking at my receipts for this car. Talking with van yesterday really puts it into perspective. I just paid 3200.00 to get my tranny completely redone and selling it I could only hope to get 1k.

That hurts pretty bad. In the end I'm looking for 10k. However I can go about getting that or getting close to that is what I will do. Any advice or tips you guys got im all ears.:crying:

VOoDOoGTX 09-15-2009 02:25 PM

If you part it, its going to take awile too get what your looking too get. Parts people make money off these cars by selling every little trim piece and screw they can. Those 20$ here and 20$ there really add up.

Buy a 968 with no engine and a decent body and swap everything into it.

porshhhh951 09-15-2009 02:30 PM

My motor is brand new, waterpump, belts, rollers, bearings, gaskets, etc. I got a lindsey stage 2 ported head with steam vent, I got a webcam, I got a full Vitesse V-flex turbo kit with hard wired e85 switch, I got a fabspeed 4inch SS exhaust, lindsey Dp wastegate, forged bov, larger intercooler piping, new tranny, 928 leather carpet kit, carbon fiber trim pieces with all new paneling from 944online, i got a 930S wheel, wideband gauge, boost gauge, mbc, perfect dash, corbeau swede seats, wheels with brand new rear tires(less than 2k on them).

I could go on and on and on. I'm just trying to figure out who in the hell would want this stuff and what is it worth. I'm just trying to get close on the upfront(first few months) and everything else if it takes time fine. How much money could I accumulate in the next several months in the question...

95ONE 09-15-2009 02:35 PM

must have missed another post. What car are you planning on replacing this with?

Will Feather 09-15-2009 02:37 PM

I agree, get a 968 and swap in your driveline. Sell off interior and exterior pieces.

Sucks man :(

carlege 09-15-2009 02:39 PM

john, Did they total the car? surely not with the pictures shown it didnt look bad at all

Chris Prack 09-15-2009 02:40 PM

Fix it.

You know this car. There are really no surprises with it unlike buying another car. You have a lot of history and the damage does not look that bad. If the frame is a little tweaked in the front corner there either pull it or forget about it. As long as it does not affect your alignment, who cares?

Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide.

carlege 09-15-2009 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Prack (Post 6905431)
Fix it.

You know this car. There are really no surprises with it unlike buying another car. You have a lot of history and the damage does not look that bad. If the frame is a little tweaked in the front corner there either pull it or forget about it. As long as it does not affect your alignment, who cares?

Im going to have to agree. the car is perfect. No reason a fender bender would really matter. 3/4 in can be pulled out on the machine then you can continue with the pursuit of perfection.

Techno Duck 09-15-2009 02:50 PM

John, in my opinion with the amount of time any money you have into that car i would consider fixing it. Hard to tell the extent of the damage under the body panels in the picture, if i remember right the windshield said the door didnt open. Was this due to frame damage or just something previously with the linkage? My friend and i repaired an '89 n/a that anyone would have parted out and junked the tub with frame rails that were bent probably 3-4'' out of alignment. We simply cut the old front clip off just after the bends and welded on a donor clip. Considering we did this in his garage i think we did a damn good job. The alignment is not compromised from the damage and this car took a much harder hit to the front end. A body shop with experience will do a completley seamless job. The alignment is not 100% perfect on the headlight covers but this is because we eyeballed alot of things. In my opinion as long as the strut towers are not damaged, the car can be fixed.. its just a matter of is it worth it to fix.

The only other option i would consider is finding a clean donor tub and transplant everything over...your interior and driveline.

Rob 09-15-2009 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Prack (Post 6905431)
Fix it.

+1 take the money and get it fixed.

jasonlp 09-15-2009 03:42 PM

I had to replace among other things the entire IC frame from my fender bender. If it's about the money go for it, if it's about the car then stick with it. For me it's the car and the history I have with it that keeps it around draining my pockets and at the same time when I'm in that seat it makes me smile.

PorscheDoc 09-15-2009 04:01 PM

Having parted a few cars out over the last couple of years, it is my opinion that the market is flooded with used 944/turbo/S2 parts at the moment, and the demand is low for used parts. What that means, is that you will put a price tag on your parts, and people will come in and offer you half of what you think a good deal might be. I still have bins in my basement from the last car I parted 2 years ago that just don't seem to want to go away. Including doors, etc. A couple of years ago, you put $150 on a used intercooler and it was gone within hours of being listed, now you are lucky to get 50 bucks. Used stock motors, $2,500..... lsd trannys over $2,000. Now i am seeing people trying to get $1,000 out of a used motor or lsd tranny and having a hard time selling them.

User 41221 09-15-2009 04:08 PM

+1 on fixing it. Thats fairly minor damage, get it to a good frame shop and have it done right. In the end, you won't take the financial bath on a car thats already well sorted, not to mention the $10k hit for the 968 conversion at the back end. That car could easily be better than new far cheaper and less effort than parting it and replacing it.

+1 on what Karl said too, the parts market is horrid right now.

Regards,

VOoDOoGTX 09-15-2009 04:29 PM

if he takes the money and has that frame fixed it will then be a "salvage" title.

Chris Prack 09-15-2009 04:32 PM

Is the car totaled? I missed that part but even if it is, fixing it and keeping it wouldn't matter to me if it had a salvage title or not.

Now my car they gave me a non-repairable title. Which means the car could never be tagged again.