Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Intercooler selection

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:24 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't someone take it upon themselves to modify their own intercooler before? I could swear the posrted pictures of the new end-tank mods they did.

What I want to do is convert to A2W with the potential to add ice in a water reservior. Would be good for short drag runs if you wanted, or for a short sprint on the first couple laps of a road-track run.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:28 PM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by marcoturbo
If you consider the SFR unit, let me know if your LR unit is for sale
I will keep you in mind. LR unit will definately be for sale if I go this route.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Jon,

From what I've heard, the SFR FMIC is not that difficult to install. Check with Tom M'Guinn, as he just installed one on his 3L.

Also SFR will do an endtank mod to your current intercooler (or core) for $150.

I wouldn't go with the endtank mod or LR intercoolers only because I don't want to hack off the intercooler mount to make them fit. Tom said that during his SFR FMIC install, he had to grind a little on the bumper support and grind a little from the intercooler mounts but everything remaind intact in case he wanted to revert back to the stock set-up.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been saying i want the ability to go back to stock when i first started modding but the car has come so far and I ended up selling the stock stuff taking up space.. Not even worth saying that anymore.

I guess what I'm wondering is if the end tank mod is enough or only adequete. If I'm doing something i usually end up splurging to get the best.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:31 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I'll take some pictures for you this weekend, assuming I can get a few minutes in the garage. Once it's installed, there's not much to take pictures of unless you remove the header panel. Happy to answer questions too, since I just installed the SFR unit.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:39 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by 944obscene
Didn't someone take it upon themselves to modify their own intercooler before? I could swear the posrted pictures of the new end-tank mods they did.

What I want to do is convert to A2W with the potential to add ice in a water reservior. Would be good for short drag runs if you wanted, or for a short sprint on the first couple laps of a road-track run.
Although I am using AWIC for the SC it is a street car. I am in agreeance with the other guys in that AWIC is the wrong setup for a road race. You need sufficient time off throttle to really pull the heat out of the water and you only get a few seconds at a time while decelerating for corners and holding the throttle through a bend. However most of the driving is done wide-open which would work nicely for a few minutes but eventually all that WOT will heat the water past the point of any use.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:32 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

I fabbed my own intercooler with a precision core and I ordered some aluminum from onlinemetals to fab up end tanks. Cost me about 400 including paying someone to weld it for me
Old 09-12-2009, 06:08 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Group buy time on the SFR FMIC? LOL! Actually we would consider it, it there were at least 5 people on board!
Old 09-12-2009, 06:30 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

I have a friend with an Esprit and they use AWIC. One of the guys who runs very fast around a road race course uses a AWIC. I am not seeing why an AWIC is bad for road racing?

The Esprit has a setup where the AWIC is basically the manifold and the water runs up to the front through a raditor (or two?) and is cooled that way. Either way you at some point have to exchange the heat in the intake into heat in the airflow part on the car. I dont see how it matters if the heat is exchanged through an Air/Air heat exchanged or an Air/water and the water/air. This is exactly how a radiator works.

The added benefit is that you get cooling at low speeds and not just at high speeds.

-Dana
Old 09-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Tim, if your willing to do it I just hope there is enough interest! How is this handled with the new people incharge of the helm?
Old 09-12-2009, 08:18 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Group buy? Estimated price?

My idea for the A2W design revolves around two heat exchangers that dissipate heat from the water, which should help with heat extraction and soaking issues. Basically, a heat exchanger after the the intercooler, then a reservoir, then another heat exchanger before the intercooler.

Water in the reservoir heads into the system, going first to a heat exchanger where it drops heat accumulated from the reservoir tank. Then exiting the first HE, enters the A2W intercooler, where it pics heat off the charge air. After this, the water flows from the intercooler to a second heat exchanger, where it drops temperature before returning to the reservoir.

Remember, without a storage tank, or reservoir there is less overall capacity. Thus the water doesn't release the heat absorbed as well (constantly being cycled through the intercooler). When a storage tank etc. is introduced, capacity is increased, which allows the system to stay cooler overall.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:43 PM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by TurboTim
Group buy time on the SFR FMIC? LOL! Actually we would consider it, it there were at least 5 people on board!
If the discount were signficant, I could probably be talked into getting in know rather than waiting for additional references.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:29 AM
TurboTim
Banned

I will contact a mod and see how to proceed.We sponser other boards through internet brands but this board is quite different the the "other" ones. LOL! But off the top of my head, I was thinkng $750 for the package.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:03 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboTim
I will contact a mod and see how to proceed.We sponser other boards through internet brands but this board is quite different the the "other" ones. LOL! But off the top of my head, I was thinkng $750 for the package.
I would consider it at $750 GB... 80% in at $750...
Old 09-13-2009, 09:52 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 944obscene
Group buy? Estimated price?

My idea for the A2W design revolves around two heat exchangers that dissipate heat from the water, which should help with heat extraction and soaking issues. Basically, a heat exchanger after the the intercooler, then a reservoir, then another heat exchanger before the intercooler.

Water in the reservoir heads into the system, going first to a heat exchanger where it drops heat accumulated from the reservoir tank. Then exiting the first HE, enters the A2W intercooler, where it pics heat off the charge air. After this, the water flows from the intercooler to a second heat exchanger, where it drops temperature before returning to the reservoir.

Remember, without a storage tank, or reservoir there is less overall capacity. Thus the water doesn't release the heat absorbed as well (constantly being cycled through the intercooler). When a storage tank etc. is introduced, capacity is increased, which allows the system to stay cooler overall.
I would love to run an A2W IC but I wouldn't do it like that. If I were running two heat exchangers I would do both of them before the reservoir. Why would I do this? Because running one after the reservoir could become a heater for the IC. I would envision 2-4 gallon resevoir with a lid opening about 2 inches in diameter and an easy way to drain. Between races, drain the IC water that may be warm. Fill the thing with ice water and then for the start of the race, you get a really nice cold charge until the water is completely heated. On a road coarse this would happen quickly, but for the days when the car makes it to a 1/4 mile, the ice water would be good.

-Dana

Quick Reply: Intercooler selection