Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

"Our Lady of blessed acceleration don't fail me now!!"---Close call last night!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default "Our Lady of blessed acceleration don't fail me now!!"---Close call last night!!!

Finally picked up the tags for the 951 I have been bringing back to life.

Sitting in rush hour traffic last night plugging along about about 5mph with a nice margin between me and the black Fiero in front of me. I look at the rear view mirror and see a car coming up FAST. Pin the throttle and steer towards the open median to my left.

Just as I get out of the way the car that was coming up behind me smashes into the Fiero that was in front of me!!!

Looks like everyone will be okay. Happy to be here this morning. Just a reminder to all of you to PAY ATTENTION to what is going on around you!!!

(would have also been a shame to have it totalled before even mounting the plates on it)
Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow! Glad you are observant and have fast reflexes.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:52 AM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a similiar thing happen.....a guy pulled out right in front of me and cut me off pretty badly, I was on the brakes hard. Then about 0.5 mile down the road, someone pulled out right in front of him and he t-boned them real good doing about 35mph. I figured if he hadn't had pulled out in front of me, I would have been the one doing the t-boning. Glad you're ok.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:21 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, good save!

I had my 13 year old son with me last week when we stopped in traffic on the highway. I told him "if this ever happens to you, start looking in your mirrors to be sure the guy behind you sees that you have stopped." Never too early to begin planting those seeds of caution in his brain. Your experience is a great example.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:45 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being aware while driving (in every direction) is very important...... most people dont even check their blind spot when changing lanes.

Glad the 951 wasnt hurt..
Old 09-10-2009, 01:46 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

this is kind of the reason why i want a license plate frame that says "my brakes are better than yours, stay back"
Old 09-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
this is kind of the reason why i want a license plate frame that says "my brakes are better than yours, stay back"
Hehe.....I had a monster set of Stoptechs on my Audi S4. So far the 951 feels okay....I will have to drive it some more.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:36 PM
ArthurPE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good move...

it's not the guy in front of me that worries me, I can control that situation, it's the guy behind me...
Old 09-10-2009, 08:16 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cole
Finally picked up the tags for the 951 I have been bringing back to life.

Sitting in rush hour traffic last night plugging along about about 5mph with a nice margin between me and the black Fiero in front of me. I look at the rear view mirror and see a car coming up FAST. Pin the throttle and steer towards the open median to my left.

Just as I get out of the way the car that was coming up behind me smashes into the Fiero that was in front of me!!!

Looks like everyone will be okay. Happy to be here this morning. Just a reminder to all of you to PAY ATTENTION to what is going on around you!!!

(would have also been a shame to have it totalled before even mounting the plates on it)
Better yet, don't ailgate, so you have the space to get out of the way, like you did. Good driving.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:40 PM
ArthurPE
Race Car

Originally Posted by ehall
Better yet, don't ailgate, so you have the space to get out of the way, like you did. Good driving.
that's what controlling the situation means...
2 second rule...even if someone fills the 'gap' ease off and expand the distance, re-establish the 2 seconds...but most people get pissed off and close the gap to cut the guy cutting in off...

always check your mirrors, and when coming to a stop, leave enough of a gap the maneuver around or to the side of the car in front off you...even if it pisses the folks off in back of you...

when the light turns green, pause for a second, let the other guy pull away cleanly rather than riding his ***, ignore the morons honking their horns when they are only rushing to their enevitable end...

people amuse me pride and stuborness usually et the best (worst) of them
Old 09-10-2009, 10:46 PM
2bridges
Drifting

A good buddy had the same incident....except he was on a bike. Totaled the car in front of him.
He retired his bike after one more close call.

HEY BIKERS!!!!! PAY ATTENTION TO THE IDIOTS TRYING TO KILL YOU OUT THERE!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Cole
Drifting

I have been riding for 30 years and actually had the same thing happen back in 1995 on a bike. I dove between the cars in front of me and the car behind me hit the car that was in front of me. Half the reason I was watching the rear view yesterday to see the same thing coming.

Situational awareness and a knowledgeable driver is the key to success.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Cole
Drifting

I have been riding for 30 years and actually had the same thing happen back in 1995 on a bike. I dove between the cars in front of me and the car behind me hit the car that was in front of me. Half the reason I was watching the rear view yesterday to see the same thing coming.

Situational awareness and a knowledgeable driver is the key to success.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:02 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

good save- must be aware of everything around you on a bike or in a car. I had this happen at the fest a couple years back- long train of 944's, everyone stopped, i stopped, look back and see my brother in law coming right for me. Turn to the right, pop the clutch and as i moved out of the way he slid to a stop next to me. We had a good talk.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:06 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ArthurPE
that's what controlling the situation means...
2 second rule...even if someone fills the 'gap' ease off and expand the distance, re-establish the 2 seconds...but most people get pissed off and close the gap to cut the guy cutting in off...

always check your mirrors, and when coming to a stop, leave enough of a gap the maneuver around or to the side of the car in front off you...even if it pisses the folks off in back of you...

when the light turns green, pause for a second, let the other guy pull away cleanly rather than riding his ***, ignore the morons honking their horns when they are only rushing to their enevitable end...

people amuse me pride and stuborness usually et the best (worst) of them
Thanks for telling me what I already know.
Semper Fi!

Quick Reply: "Our Lady of blessed acceleration don't fail me now!!"---Close call last night!!!