Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LS7 ZO6. Drove one yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:14 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 ZO6. Drove one yesterday

Ok.. So everyone wants to know how to get their 944's as fast as these things.. (newer supercharged version another thing altogether)

A good friend of mine wanted me to stop by and see his new house.. His Z06 was outside and he told me to take it for a spin to see what I thought.

I gotta say.... Meh... Thats it. My best description is to say, This is the very best grocey getter in the world.

The handling is Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than any of the other vettes I've driven.. Actually reminded me a bit of my old NSX! Very impressed.. Plenty soft for regular roads, but extremely responsive with excellent turn in. I did not get to feel the turn at high speeds to see if it felt as "floaty" as the regular ones I have driven.

Those who claim 125mph+ in the quarter mile are liars. They have done "Something" to them. It's just not that fast. maybe partly due to the fact that the gearing is freakin TALL. 2nd gear take you to almost 90mph. Power is truly everywhere, but really kicks in just above 4Krpm. It is fast.. but just doesn't "feel" as fast as a turbo car. Which, once again, may have much to do with the gearing / final drive. Power delivery is silky smooth, and almost boring considering all that power.. Much like they said about the NSX, that it was so refined it was almost mundane even in it's extremes. It's such a consistent pull, you really don't get that huge horsepower "rush" that you do with the turbo. While, yes, my 944 was a little faster. It felt MUCH faster. Crazy.. everything I've hated about American cars , was everything I anticipated and looked forward to in this Vette. Loud, obnoxious, hard to control, etc.. I was .. dis-appointed. It was smooth, refined, and did things so well and calmly, I walked away un satisfied. Crazy..

Last edited by 95ONE; 09-07-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:09 PM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you saying that they top out at 125? Thats pretty slow for that car, and slow compared to ours as well.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:19 PM
95ONE
Race Car

No.. not at all.. Im saying in the Quarter mile.. My fault.. Correcting for more specific info..
Old 09-07-2009, 07:35 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all. Power delivery is NOTHING like a turbo 4. So it may feel a little slower in that regard simply because there is no sudden rush of additional power at a given rpms. I will say your not a great counterpoint arguer because your car weighs in at what?? 2300-2400lbs? You've got a stripped gutted car that makes more horsepower than the zo6 you just drove.

Your car is easily one of the fastest 944's on this board in more ways than one because of your cars weight. Your brakes will be better, turn in better, acceleration will be greatly improved, etc, etc. The c6 zo6 is a STUPID fast car. I should know since I've been behind the wheel of one and riden in many others. No they are not claiming bs on 125 mph trap speeds. Would you like me to upload time slips, with video attached? I certainly can vouch for their power level and with mods they are down right retarded.

Carl's C6z traps over 140mph. He has full exhaust, cam, heads, and a 100shot. His car will put around all day long at 45mph or destory any 944 on this board with ease. All on pump gas and more than likely without the nitrous. All new ls3 vettes are over 500whp with slightly milled heads, cam, exhaust. All ls7's with the same mods are mid-upper 500's. All on pump and all will run at that power level with ZERO reliability issues.

Your in houstin. If you'd like to run a stock zo6 or one with mild mods at the track I could probably set something up. If you'd like to run one with actual real mods(cam/exhaust/tune) I'd be happy to show you they run stupid traps and the tall gearing is actually very very helpful when running 500+hp.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:14 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The Z06 is a truly amazing machine. $ for $ probably the best bang for the buck out there. The only short comings are the lack of head room and cheap interior. The Z06 is everything you mentioned, chevy has done an excellent job for the last couple pf years.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:20 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

I've never been impressed by a N/A cat no matter the power. The power comes on linear and doesn't have a huge jump at any given RPM level. I have seen a 500whp Z06 blow my doors off, but the power was delivered like an N/A. I'd have to say a turbo car with the same power would feel much, much faster. You get that insane pull from a turbo car. A turbo car gradually pushes you into the seat as if you're about to skip to the next universe. Never in a N/A car have I been pushed into my seat (and I've riden in some quick ones). I like being able to feel the rate of acceleration. Boost runs through my veins. I hate riding with my evo buddies. Probably because they're making close to 500whp and it makes me miss my car that much more.

Z06's are fast, but the whole n/a thing isn't my taste. I'd definitely have to through a blower on one if I had it!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:10 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
First of all. Power delivery is NOTHING like a turbo 4. So it may feel a little slower in that regard simply because there is no sudden rush of additional power at a given rpms. I will say your not a great counterpoint arguer because your car weighs in at what?? 2300-2400lbs? You've got a stripped gutted car that makes more horsepower than the zo6 you just drove.

Your car is easily one of the fastest 944's on this board in more ways than one because of your cars weight. Your brakes will be better, turn in better, acceleration will be greatly improved, etc, etc. The c6 zo6 is a STUPID fast car. I should know since I've been behind the wheel of one and riden in many others. No they are not claiming bs on 125 mph trap speeds. Would you like me to upload time slips, with video attached? I certainly can vouch for their power level and with mods they are down right retarded.

Carl's C6z traps over 140mph. He has full exhaust, cam, heads, and a 100shot. His car will put around all day long at 45mph or destory any 944 on this board with ease. All on pump gas and more than likely without the nitrous. All new ls3 vettes are over 500whp with slightly milled heads, cam, exhaust. All ls7's with the same mods are mid-upper 500's. All on pump and all will run at that power level with ZERO reliability issues.

Your in houstin. If you'd like to run a stock zo6 or one with mild mods at the track I could probably set something up. If you'd like to run one with actual real mods(cam/exhaust/tune) I'd be happy to show you they run stupid traps and the tall gearing is actually very very helpful when running 500+hp.
Oh Man! Didn't want to offend. The BS call out was on a few timeslips in the 127mph 1/4. - I guess I did expect a little argument on that one

BUT! my sarcasm was that I can't believe how super refined the Chevy Corvette is.. Blows me away. .. I was expecting and wanting a loud obnoxious experience. It wasn't. It was crazy smooth. Not exactly a huge negative. more of a personal style preference.

Modded LS7's.. definately.. I agree. can be crazy fast.. BUT.. I think they have to be modded to feel that way..
Like I said.. (Which I felt was a positive note about the car..) The ULTIMATE grocery getter.

And, no worries.. I will run my friends LS7 Z06 at the track someday when my car is actually up and running.. I did forget to mention though.. They STOP really fn well! It was nice. I'm not so sure mine stopped any faster than this one.. If at all. Fade might be another story..
Old 09-07-2009, 09:54 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Oh Man! Didn't want to offend. The BS call out was on a few timeslips in the 127mph 1/4. - I guess I did expect a little argument on that one

BUT! my sarcasm was that I can't believe how super refined the Chevy Corvette is.. Blows me away. .. I was expecting and wanting a loud obnoxious experience. It wasn't. It was crazy smooth. Not exactly a huge negative. more of a personal style preference.

Modded LS7's.. definately.. I agree. can be crazy fast.. BUT.. I think they have to be modded to feel that way..
Like I said.. (Which I felt was a positive note about the car..) The ULTIMATE grocery getter.

And, no worries.. I will run my friends LS7 Z06 at the track someday when my car is actually up and running.. I did forget to mention though.. They STOP really fn well! It was nice. I'm not so sure mine stopped any faster than this one.. If at all. Fade might be another story..
Yes it makes one hellva grocery getter. Sorry if my post came off wrong. I'm so sick and tired of hearing people who drive a 20 year old 300hp 944 talk **** about modern sports cars, super cars of today and talk about how much "better" their car is with no real world experience. I've seen tons of these threads over the years against vettes, supras, etc and so so few people actually have any real world experience other than 1 freggin neighbor who happens to own one and they think they know it all.

C6Z and honestly 08' and newer ls3 c6's are freggin beasts. Can be driven all day long and put around happy getting 25+mpg. They are truly incredible cars. Anyone talking **** about a new c6 is someone with real bias. No real car guy with common sense would be able to find real fault beyond personal aesthetic preference and interior choice. They are very refined these days and very very capable of pulling double duty.

I have to agree with the n/a versus turbo deliver of power. I personally LOVE the delivery of a small motor with a turbo. However if you are looking for superior performance with a fat tq curve and reliability the new chebby stuff is hard to beat. We have a lister here who is currently building a LS3 944. I'm dying to see his results with that motor in the 944 chassis. Its going to be a damn beast.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My only complaint with the C6 Vettes is the head room. I just don't fit!
Old 09-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951
My only complaint with the C6 Vettes is the head room. I just don't fit!
I always feel like the driver's door is too close to rest your arm comfortably. It's too narrow or I'm too wide (or probably both).
Old 09-07-2009, 10:55 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

My only complaint with them is the price tag....
Old 09-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

I have driven a handfull of these and sat in the right seat in even more with the local Corvette club as an instructor. I am not sure driving it on the street is a real test of the car IMO. The few that I have driven at the track were very very impressive and applied more than enough violence to the rear tires.

Two words for you.... "adaptive memory".
Old 09-08-2009, 01:07 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

V8=small *****, enough said.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Judson951
Drifting

Originally Posted by lart951
V8=small *****, enough said.
Oh **** Lart is back....
Old 09-08-2009, 01:56 AM
seattle951
Pro

If it weren't for the headroom issue, I would love a Z06. I have thought about it many times.

In regards to turbo vs. N/A cars and the turbo kick making them feel faster, I agree. I had a 2007 Mustang GT with 315 hp (268 RWHP) at 3,700 lbs and later supercharged it to 427 hp (363 RWHP) at 3,700 lbs at 5psi. My 951 runs 320 RWHP at 17 psi on a Mustang dyno (350 RWHP on a DynoJet) at 2,600 lbs. There was absolutely no comparison. The GT power curve before and after the supercharger was relatively flat and consistantly strong. But it didn't have the throw back in your seat feel when the 951 comes on boost.

My 951 was probably a little faster than the Supercharged Mustang GT but it felt much, much faster.

My GT convertable had all the great amenities that made it a great daily driver, navigation, bluetooth phone, air bags all around, anti-lock brakes, traction control and anchors for a baby seat in the back seat. However, it just couldn't compare to the rush of the 951. But in a DD it is all about the amenities.

Quick Reply: LS7 ZO6. Drove one yesterday