Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LS7 ZO6. Drove one yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 06:48 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i really like the *** end of any Corvette though. I think they look distinctive (aside from the part where you can poke your finger in the center and bend it in)
Old 09-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sebastian944
i really like the *** end of any Corvette though.
Never seen one of those while driving my 951.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:45 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i really like the *** end of any Corvette though. I think they look distinctive (aside from the part where you can poke your finger in the center and bend it in)
Distinctively hideous you mean?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:54 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Never seen one of those while driving my 951.
That's a shame. You really should take it out of the garage.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:17 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, CRevo, but you certainly do not get the "acceleration seemed to increase as the revs climbed" feeling with any turbo'd car. In fact the K26/6 is sooo hopeless that the "feel" of acceleration decreases as the revs build and the boost DROPS. If you want the peaky feeling in an NA, drive something like an S2000.
Flame suit on.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:10 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wanted to jump in and comment on the headroom of the C6 ZO6. I'm 6'4", and find the headroom is excellent in my '09 ZO6. I guess I'm confused as to why some feel it isn't sufficient, especially when comparing it to a 944?

If interested, you may find the seating better if you move the lower seat all the way back and down, and extend the steering wheel as far out (towards you) as it will go. Then, you can always adjust the recliner to add more head room. This positions your head at the highest point of the roof.

One other comment about the car not feeling fast. Some people making these statements may be confusing the C6 with the C6 ZO6. IMO, the ZO6 is toss you to the back of your seat from the get-go fast, and shocks the hell out of me whenever I really put it through the paces. The ZO6 also has more of a traditional sports car feel, where it provides a raw honest feeling of the road, great throttle response, and has a light yet solid feel that let's you toss it around sharp turns like it's on rails. I also particularly like how strong third gear is for when I'm tearing up the back twisty roads and don't have to be constantly shifting between second and fourth gears.

The C6 is also a very fast and capable sports car, but it does feel more refined, and doesn't give as much excitement or feedback while trying to have some spirited fun, IMO.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:16 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Kyle- Is that so? I'm not saying my 951 is the end all be all of cars, but I have riden in a few downright nasty turbo cars. Just recently, a buddies moddest 471awhp/490awtq Evo. Not a huge turbo or anything. 100% bone stock internals even. That car definitely pulls faster, the farther the tach needle swings. It's definitely a quick car, and it's even had a C6 Z06 completely rape him. And his car feels MUCH faster.

I'm sorry, but 951's definitely DO have an acceleration increase the farther the needle goes. It you don't believe this, watch any 951 video that displays the tach. The needle starts out verrry slow. You can actually see the needle almost play catch up in a sense. Watch some big power 951 videos.

And as far as driving an S2000...haha. No such chance. I've raced one before. It was definitely a quick little car...in first gear. After that, it was dead. Those cars are SA-LOW! really a shame for having a VERY high hp:liter rating. I had over a half car on him by the end of first that turned into close to 7-8 cars by 130-140. It had full exhaust and tune. So probably made similar numbers to my chipped-only 951. I just don't understand the huge following behind S2000's. Throw in a 2JZ and you have my attention...
Old 09-09-2009, 01:23 AM
AMAF II
Banned

The Z06 is not match for my twin supercharged 81 924. I raced one 07 Z06 the other day and by 3rd gear I had 2 cars between us.

Originally Posted by beden1
I just wanted to jump in and comment on the headroom of the C6 ZO6. I'm 6'4", and find the headroom is excellent in my '09 ZO6. I guess I'm confused as to why some feel it isn't sufficient, especially when comparing it to a 944?

If interested, you may find the seating better if you move the lower seat all the way back and down, and extend the steering wheel as far out (towards you) as it will go. Then, you can always adjust the recliner to add more head room. This positions your head at the highest point of the roof.

One other comment about the car not feeling fast. Some people making these statements may be confusing the C6 with the C6 ZO6. IMO, the ZO6 is toss you to the back of your seat from the get-go fast, and shocks the hell out of me whenever I really put it through the paces. The ZO6 also has more of a traditional sports car feel, where it provides a raw honest feeling of the road, great throttle response, and has a light yet solid feel that let's you toss it around sharp turns like it's on rails. I also particularly like how strong third gear is for when I'm tearing up the back twisty roads and don't have to be constantly shifting between second and fourth gears.

The C6 is also a very fast and capable sports car, but it does feel more refined, and doesn't give as much excitement or feedback while trying to have some spirited fun, IMO.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:27 AM
beden1
Pro

For every fast car, there is always something else faster still. I was speaking of a stock ZO6. I'm sure one could be modified to change the outcome of a race between your car and the modified ZO6. Just as there would be no comparison between a stock 944 and a stock ZO6.

It also could have been the difference in driving skills between you and the other driver?

I guess I don't understand your point, as I was not comparing my car to any other car than the C6?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:30 AM
AMAF II
Banned

For every fast car, there is always something else faster still. I was speaking of a stock ZO6. I'm sure one could be modified to change the outcome of a race between your car and the modified ZO6. Just as there would be no comparison between a stock 944 and a stock ZO6.

I guess I don't understand your point, as I was not comparing my car to any other car than the C6?
Now do you understand the difference between a 944 and a 951?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:32 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

i love the s2000. sorry had to say it. it's a motorcycle with a car wrapped around it. I used to own a Honda Del Sol Si and i thought that was a very clever car, and the s2000 is a delsol on steroids. I never driven one, but I get the idea.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:36 AM
seattle951
Pro

If interested, you may find the seating better if you move the lower seat all the way back and down, and extend the steering wheel as far out (towards you) as it will go. Then, you can always adjust the recliner to add more head room. This positions your head at the highest point of the roof. :
I am 6'6" at 310 lbs, mostly torso. I tried a Corvette a few years back and my head was in the roof, much like a 928 I had at one point. I learned to drive the 928 with my head sideways until I couldn't take it anymore. I decided I would never do that again no matter how much I loved the car. I have a set of short Recaros in my 951 that are bolted farther back than stock. I also had to get a smaller stearing wheel to clear my legs and an extension on the stearing column to move the wheel back about 2 inches. It is still tight but it works. When they did the cornerbalancing on the suspension they used 300 lbs of weights to simulate me.

Anyway, is there much difference between an 09 vette and one from about 05? I believe the 05 is the last one I tried to drive. I would still like to try a convertable version since that worked well for my Mustang GT. The covertable roof added about 4 inches of clearance compared to the hardtop.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:39 AM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by AMAF II
Now do you understand the difference between a 944 and a 951?
I had to look up your car, as I'm not familiar with it. I found this information:
The 951:

At the end of 1985, Porsche announced the 944 Turbo (factory model designation 951) which arrived in the U.S. as a 1986 model. Performance of the 951 was a reminder of the 944's legacy, even in it's toned down production form. Aside from the turbo charged power plant generating 217 hp with 243 ft/lbs of torque, the 951 had other major enhancements over it's normally aspirated brother. Specifically the 951 included aerodynamic polyurethane front bumper/spoiler with new air intakes serving the turbo's intercooler mounted between the headlights under the front panel. Under body panels where added to cleanup air flow beneath the car. This extended to the distinctive air diffuser mounted under the rear of the car to cleanup exiting airflow past the rear end. As well, the 951 received Bembo 4 piston calipers to bring the car to a stop as well as special forged alloy wheels. The suspension received stiffer components to round out the comprehensive performance upgrades. The 951 also has the distinction of being the first sports car to offer both driver-side and passenger-side airbags. Porsche also produced 198 versions of the 944 Turbo as Cup racing cars.

You must have really modified your car from the original specs, to have taken a C6 ZO6:
3150 Lbs Curb Weight, Pounds, (About 100 pounds less than a regular coupe.)
7.0 (427) LS7 Small Block Displacement,
7000 RPM LS7 Engine RPM Red Line,
505 HP SAE Net HP at 6200 RPM, (Conservatively!)
475 Lb Ft Pounds Feet of Engine Torque at 4800 RPM,6.3 Lb/HP Pounds of Car Weight per Horsepower, (Better than a Viper at 6.8 lb/HP!)

Performance Statistics:
3.7 Sec. 0-60 MPH (Seconds), Estimated
11.3 Sec. Low to Mid Eleven Second Quarter Mile Elapsed Times, Estimated
125 MPH Quarter Mile Trap Speed, Estimated
200 MPH Top Speed, Estimated
Old 09-09-2009, 01:44 AM
lig
Racer

i love the s2000. sorry had to say it. it's a motorcycle with a car wrapped around it. I used to own a Honda Del Sol Si and i thought that was a very clever car, and the s2000 is a delsol on steroids. I never driven one, but I get the idea.
Hello..

FWD vs. RWD

LSD vs. open diff

120ho/liter vs can't get out of it's own way

50/50 weight dist. vs fwd front engine

The only thing they have in common is the "H" on the badge.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:45 AM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by seattle951
I am 6'6" at 310 lbs, mostly torso. I tried a Corvette a few years back and my head was in the roof, much like a 928 I had at one point. I learned to drive the 928 with my head sideways until I couldn't take it anymore. I decided I would never do that again no matter how much I loved the car. I have a set of short Recaros in my 951 that are bolted farther back than stock. I also had to get a smaller stearing wheel to clear my legs and an extension on the stearing column to move the wheel back about 2 inches. It is still tight but it works. When they did the cornerbalancing on the suspension they used 300 lbs of weights to simulate me.

Anyway, is there much difference between an 09 vette and one from about 05? I believe the 05 is the last one I tried to drive. I would still like to try a convertable version since that worked well for my Mustang GT. The covertable roof added about 4 inches of clearance compared to the hardtop.
Unfortunately, your torso length probably kills it for you with many/most sports cars. The '05 C6 is virtually the same as the '09 C6. The convertible has less head room than the coupe or ZO6. For some reason, I could not fit in the convertible or a coupe with automatic. My knees hit the dash board and I had a hard time using the pedals. I don't have the problem with my car with a stick?

I'm luckier, in that my legs are longer then my torso. I also hate it if I feel cramped, and that's why I feel fortunate that I fit in my ZO6.

Quick Reply: LS7 ZO6. Drove one yesterday