Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SFR Intercooler and temps...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts
Default SFR Intercooler and temps...

Just thougt I'd share my SFR intercooler experience. After the initial "you gotta be kidding me"' reaction when I saw where it had to fit, the installation was not too bad -- although my dremel was on over-drive trimming the bumper support and a few other odds and ends.

I did not need to remove the bumper cover or a/c condenser to install it. I did trim a few tabs on the condensor for more room, but everything stayed in place for the intallation. I was also able to keep all the stock i/c mounting points, by trimming them, so that I can go back to the stock i/c if needed. I opted to use rivnuts in the cross member to more securely mount it, which I recommend.

The thing most noteworthy are the motor temps. The car had a long grueling day yesterday -- starting at 10am at the dyno making 500ft.lbs. and then driving the car almost 300 miles in some of the worst traffic the bay area's ever seen (Bay Bridge closed for repair). So I probably spent at least 3 or 4 hours in stop and go traffic in weather ranging from 65 to 90+ degrees.

I was stunned that the temp gauge stayed ON the first white hash mark almost the entire day -- even with the a/c on in hot stop and go traffic -- and it never got as much as a needle's width higher than the first hash. I actually checked the gauge I was so surprised.

So for the street anyway, I think it is safe to say this intercooler simply does not raise the temps.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:13 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got any pics?
Old 09-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom, any pictures from your install? Curious to see how it all looks.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:20 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Tom that sounds awesome. You have both the IC and SFR Oil cooler set up, right?
Old 09-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Stock oil cooler in stock location.

Will snap a few pics, but not much to see except a bit more aluminum behind the bumper openings.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:40 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have any pics of the install and the adjustments and trimming needed?
Old 09-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Default Sorry but

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Just thougt I'd share my SFR intercooler experience. After the initial "you gotta be kidding me"' reaction when I saw where it had to fit, the installation was not too bad -- although my dremel was on over-drive trimming the bumper support and a few other odds and ends.

I did not need to remove the bumper cover or a/c condenser to install it. I did trim a few tabs on the condensor for more room, but everything stayed in place for the intallation. I was also able to keep all the stock i/c mounting points, by trimming them, so that I can go back to the stock i/c if needed. I opted to use rivnuts in the cross member to more securely mount it, which I recommend.

The thing most noteworthy are the motor temps. The car had a long grueling day yesterday -- starting at 10am at the dyno making 500ft.lbs. and then driving the car almost 300 miles in some of the worst traffic the bay area's ever seen (Bay Bridge closed for repair). So I probably spent at least 3 or 4 hours in stop and go traffic in weather ranging from 65 to 90+ degrees.

I was stunned that the temp gauge stayed ON the first white hash mark almost the entire day -- even with the a/c on in hot stop and go traffic -- and it never got as much as a needle's width higher than the first hash. I actually checked the gauge I was so surprised.

So for the street anyway, I think it is safe to say this intercooler simply does not raise the temps.
Sorry but are you sure you car temp gauge is accurate?
Do you have an additional temp gauge to confirm readings?

This the first I have heard of an larger IC lowering or stabilizing engine temps. I was led to believe only an additional oil cooler could be that effective.

So take it you did not opt for SFR oil cooler?
and these results are just with the SFR IC?

Where in the Bay area do you live?

+1 for pictures..

-BB
Old 09-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzi
Sorry but are you sure you car temp gauge is accurate?
Do you have an additional temp gauge to confirm readings?

This the first I have heard of an larger IC lowering or stabilizing engine temps. I was led to believe only an additional oil cooler could be that effective.

So take it you did not opt for SFR oil cooler?
and these results are just with the SFR IC?

Where in the Bay area do you live?

+1 for pictures..

-BB
Re the gauge, I confirmed the dash gauge against the DME's temp sensor (which I use as an engine management input in the smt6) and they were within 5 degrees of each other. Also, when I shut off the motor, but left the ignition on, the gauge rose up as normal without circulation and fans, and then dropped as everything cooled.

Stock oil cooler, though I did clean it and seal up the ducting.

I'm in the south bay, you? Wonder if we've met? PM if you want to compare notes...

I'll snaps some picks this weekend.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Can someone please explain how a larger interooler affects engine temperature? I'm still learning!
Old 09-05-2009, 06:09 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think what he may be getting at is that it does not cause any extra heat due to the area in front of the radiator being used more.

If you are putting out hot air though through the turbo it will lower engine temps if it cools the air. When I had my blower car running around daily it would get hot if it ran long enough and that was solved once I installed an IC.

I'm curious Tom, what the HP gains were with the bigger IC and also how much timing you are using on the top end??
Old 09-05-2009, 06:12 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The charge air temps will cause a rise in the engine temp which has a direct impact on the coolant systems thermal ability to dissipate heat. The intercoolers effect on engine temp can be drastic depending on what is happening with the charge air temps.For example a car that has 150F MATs can have a higher CLT then a car with 100F MAT.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:18 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
I think what he may be getting at is that it does not cause any extra heat due to the area in front of the radiator being used more.

If you are putting out hot air though through the turbo it will lower engine temps if it cools the air. When I had my blower car running around daily it would get hot if it ran long enough and that was solved once I installed an IC.

I'm curious Tom, what the HP gains were with the bigger IC and also how much timing you are using on the top end??

With some testing we did many years about we seen 15-20 WHP from the intercooler just by exchanging the stock unit. And this was on a 300WHP application. We have had customers report to us that they have seen a 50F decrease at the track compared to some other aftermanrket unis.That is pretty significant.

We have a 944T in here right now with 2.8L engine and all of our other goodies and he had cut his front bumper so we installed one of our intercoolers and just moved it up a bit to fill that whole area in with the intercooler.It looks good and will get massive airflow to it. I will take some pics when I get a chance.

I had cut my bumper in the same manner some time ago for the same purpose, but my project is one of those "someday" projects that has been on the back burner way too long.LOL
Old 09-05-2009, 08:20 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by blown 944

That's how I read it.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:08 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Right, the stock intercooler sits above the radiator (more or less). The SFR intercooler sits directly in front of the radiator, so there is a debate about whether it blocks the airflow and makes the motor run hotter. I actually assumed it would heat up the temp a little, but in fact I saw zero increase.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:00 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
That's how I read it.
simply more air available to flow through the ic than in the stock location, and the larger surface area and better design of the sfr unit bring air temps down further which directly affects cylinder/coolant temp.

good deal.

Quick Reply: SFR Intercooler and temps...