Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Carbon fiber 968 rear hatch project

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:31 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Carbon fiber 968 rear hatch project

I thought I would play around with some carbon fiber 2 weeks ago because I needed to replicate the center trim piece under my 1991 944 S2 hatch. So I took my spare 968 hatch apart and filled in the center trim pieces brake light hole with plastic and taped the entire thing with clear tape. I then waxed over the tape several times and laid the trim piece down on a piece of plywood with the carbon fiber fabric on it. I used push pins to hold the carbon fiber in place on the wood then stretch the carbon fiber fabric over and around the trim piece. I mixed the 2 part resin and brush a good layer over part and pulled the fabric tight all the way around. Pushed in tacks to hold fabric tight all the way around this 2 sided trim piece. I rolled air bubbles out and the next day trimmed it right along the original part and released the 968 trim from my new carbon fiber copy. I then layed 1 layer of fiberglass mat on each inside part of trim and let cure. I made carbon fiber taps replicating the tabs glued into the factory piece and cut them to be exact size then resined them into the exact spot while holding up to the hatch. After wet sanding, clear coating and polishing its not perfect but looks killer and fits almost perfect.

While I am trying to sell this hatch right now I am thinking of using my 968 hatch to mock up some carbon fiber side trim pieces as well.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

if you can make a cf wing like that for a good price id be interested
Old 08-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice work!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:38 AM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go for some CF trim pieces.....
Old 08-31-2009, 12:54 AM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Without vacuum bagging its very hard to get a clean super straight part on a complex curve like this! If it was fiberglass I could just use bondo and sand it to achieve the super smooth look! The problem with purchasing the right equipment to vacuum bag and re-produce great results on this 968 wing trim is that it would cost more money than one set is worth to me. I cant justify making them this way, however if I knew I could sell several sets of 968 wing trim in carbon fiber it would make it worthwhile to continue this venture???
Old 09-01-2009, 02:41 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had the green, I'd buy it right now.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber 968 rear hatch project