Aaarrrggghhh.... Bent rod!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009 | 12:19 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aaarrrggghhh.... Bent rod!!

So once again there's more proof that Murphey has it in for me and maybe I'm not meant to be into cars LOL

I was standing in my garage staring at my pile of parts... And I noticed that the rod on cyl 1 was bent... So that probably explains a lot in regards to my other thread. Needless to say I'm a bit annoyed... But oh well lol.

My only theory is that with all the sync loss issues I've had with my MegaSquirt probably led to some odd misfire or something at exactly the wrong time and bent the rod.... And the engine just kept running. Gotta love these MIDs! This is probably what caused the headgasket leak, so I'm going to check that very closely now too...

So now.... Wossner rods, or Olivers? Or Arrows? Sadly I can't afford titanium rods haha. I don't think ill go with Pauters or Carillos as I've seen a post or two that those are both heavier? Hmmmm
Old 08-30-2009 | 12:51 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

That sucks but it gives you a chance to start over at least without total carnage to other parts. It's really amazing how far an OE forged rod can bend and still not fail completely. I have proof of that.

Old 08-30-2009 | 02:31 AM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty sure that the resets of the Micro squirt caused my rod to break. I had it all sorted out, but if I hit the rev limiter, it would loose teeth count. When I go back with it in a project car, I'll use timing retard for rev limiter instead of fuel cut. Not sure why it did this on the rev limiter. I could drive for three hours without a reset if I stayed away from the rev limiter, and no count loss using the factory Speed and reference sensors in their stock location. Playing sometimes cost a bunch.
Old 08-30-2009 | 08:27 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Hmmm...I mentioned the bent rod possiblity when you first posted!

If you were sticking with the megasquirt I would advise you to stay with the stock rods - they are tanks! But since you are going to another standalone the Wossners are a good choice. I wouldn't say they are stronger than stock but they are a lot lighter.

Good point on the MIDs - an Alusil block would have really failed badly with a bent rod, instead you just have to hone it and drop in a new set of pistons!!
Old 08-30-2009 | 08:51 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

This is terrible. At least you know the cause and you can go a different route.

OT. Chris do you recall our conversation?
Old 08-30-2009 | 11:07 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Yep...I have heard the same thing from a couple of sources, its a shame - I liked the megasquirt concept!
Old 08-30-2009 | 11:32 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ironically, I think what did my MegaSquirt in was.... The TEC coilpacks That is the only consistant thing across all my changes, those coilpacks and the ignitors inside the MS case. Hindsight, I should have bought LS2 coilpacks from day one, since they have built in ignitors and thus have a lot less noise.... Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20.

I have already ordered LS2 truck coilpacks and ill be getting new spark plug wires and changing my wiring loom to work with them, so I will probably try my MegaSquirt again to see. Ill be back to MS one day Maybe not with this car, I dont know. I was out of inputs/outputs with my MS setup, the Link gives me more of those.

http://www.megamanual.com/seq/coils.htm

Do you have Wossners in stock Chris?
Old 08-30-2009 | 10:46 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I couldn't quite figure out why you went with the Electromotive coil packs - they have Electromotive specific circuitry in the bases...
BTW – I have heard of similar failures on Megasquirt setups – bent rods (or worse) being a typical end result. One dyno operator now refuses to dyno megasquirt powered cars. I am not trying to trach Megasquirt – I really wish it would work as it generates interest in standalone systems. Unfortunately standalone systems need a lot of testing - the smallest bug in the code can have disastrous results..
No problem with the rods!

Quick Reply: Aaarrrggghhh.... Bent rod!!