Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Process - How to set boost level

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:31 PM
JimO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Process - How to set boost level

Has anybody seen a simple to use process for setting boost.

The IDIOT in me say's to turn the manual boost control in very small increments until the stock dash boost meter is close to maximum.

It just can't work like that ..can somebody point me in the right direction?
Old 08-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't rely on the stock gauge...get an aftermarket gauge such as this...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-4306/ you can spend more, just a sample. The stock gauge is more than likely off.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Using a boost gauge other than the stock one, do pull in 3rd gear
and see what your max boost is. The learning curve is figuring out how many turns is 1psi on your setup.

With a tial 38mm in dual port and the LR black **** it's about 1 turn per psi on my car.

Depending on your setup you may get boost creep in higher gears. Therefore set your boost in 4th gear or atleast check and see what it goes up to.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fluidplay
Don't rely on the stock gauge...get an aftermarket gauge such as this...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-4306/ you can spend more, just a sample. The stock gauge is more than likely off.
What he said... my in dash maxes out at approximately 13 PSI... but my AM gauge and MAP sensor both indicate true...

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Using a boost gauge other than the stock one, do pull in 3rd gear
and see what your max boost is. The learning curve is figuring out how many turns is 1psi on your setup.

With a tial 38mm in dual port and the LR black **** it's about 1 turn per psi on my car.

Depending on your setup you may get boost creep in higher gears. Therefore set your boost in 4th gear or atleast check and see what it goes up to.
1 turn per PSI...dude... I get like 1/8 turn per PSI... wonder why such a big variation...

to the OP, install an aftermarket gauge, run through all your gears and see where your highest boost shows... adjust from there... If I set my LR black **** for 13 PSI in 3rd I hit 16PSI in 4th and 5th... so I adjust in 4th not 3rd... it will differ from car to car, and driver to driver and course to course... it is largely driven by load on the engine so try for level ground...

Your stock boost gauge can be WAY off... mine is as are most others...
Old 08-19-2009, 10:29 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, I'm about the same as you John - maybe a quarter turn or so for me.

I set mine in 3rd because I don't want to have to pay attention to the boost gauge there since I'm in 3rd a lot more than I am in 4th.

When you aren't sure - just don't floor it...creep it up and once you think you are a few PSI away from where you want to max out - then do a run and make sure your foot is on the floor to lock it in.

There's no scientific way to do this - you'll have variance in how many turns on your LBC (as noted in this thread already) so no one can tell you to give it three cranks and you're at 15PSI.

Definitely recommend the aftermarket boost gauge though to know for sure. Frankly, anything is better and probably more accurate than the stock gauge and they are easy to install.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:37 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

I was always impressed with the simple AccuBoost controller I had on the black car. I could set it in 3rd, 4th, or 5th and it would always hold the same mark except at much higher altitudes. Never trust the OE gauge and try to run your signal source directly off a manifold fitting rather than the KLR tube if you can.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:55 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
What he said... my in dash maxes out at approximately 13 PSI... but my AM gauge and MAP sensor both indicate true...

1 turn per PSI...dude... I get like 1/8 turn per PSI... wonder why such a big variation...

to the OP, install an aftermarket gauge, run through all your gears and see where your highest boost shows... adjust from there... If I set my LR black **** for 13 PSI in 3rd I hit 16PSI in 4th and 5th... so I adjust in 4th not 3rd... it will differ from car to car, and driver to driver and course to course... it is largely driven by load on the engine so try for level ground...

I am a fourth gear person also. You want to be as close as possible to a 1:1 ratio in your gearing. 4th is not quite there and 5th is overdrive.

Last edited by rlm328; 08-19-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:10 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by choinga
yeah, I'm about the same as you John - maybe a quarter turn or so for me.

I set mine in 3rd because I don't want to have to pay attention to the boost gauge there since I'm in 3rd a lot more than I am in 4th.

When you aren't sure - just don't floor it...creep it up and once you think you are a few PSI away from where you want to max out - then do a run and make sure your foot is on the floor to lock it in.

There's no scientific way to do this - you'll have variance in how many turns on your LBC (as noted in this thread already) so no one can tell you to give it three cranks and you're at 15PSI.

Definitely recommend the aftermarket boost gauge though to know for sure. Frankly, anything is better and probably more accurate than the stock gauge and they are easy to install.
AH, most (90%) of my driving is highway, so I use a highway run to set boost, if I set it for 14PSI in 4th I creep maybe to 15 in 5th, but no higher...

I want a EBC soooo bad, but have bigger fish to fry first... If I go full stand alone this winter, I'll use it for boost control...
Old 08-20-2009, 09:07 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Isn't that the truth? I was so annoyed that I removed the stock boost gauge so I wouldn't even be tempted to look at it.

EBC is nice. I had some issues getting mine dialed in at first, but once you get it set, raising or lowering the boost is easy. My AEM allows an A and B setting - I keep A for normal driving (13psi) and B is set for a little more boost for the weekends (14.5psi).

Old 08-20-2009, 10:30 PM
JimO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks!

Hey guys thanks for the guidance on that one.. I'll report back once I make my way from a dyno..
Old 08-20-2009, 10:49 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I was always impressed with the simple AccuBoost controller I had on the black car. I could set it in 3rd, 4th, or 5th and it would always hold the same mark except at much higher altitudes. Never trust the OE gauge and try to run your signal source directly off a manifold fitting rather than the KLR tube if you can.
same here - i ran with an accuboost and vitesse AFM chip for awhile - my car ran great and even with the stock WG i'd get to 15PSI pretty quick and it would hold pretty solid to around 5200RPM.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:55 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep on my Lindsey BC I was at 12.5 psi at 12:00 at 12:30 I am at 15.2. Working my way back up to 18.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:14 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I turned mine all the way up then slowly turned it down to get the setting I wanted at wide open throttle
Old 08-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dillon410021
I turned mine all the way up then slowly turned it down to get the setting I wanted at wide open throttle
Not always the best approach, it can put you into an overboost situation and that can be disastrous.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:00 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Not always the best approach, it can put you into an overboost situation and that can be disastrous.
I never went over the amount I wanted. If I would come close, I would let off the throttle

Quick Reply: Process - How to set boost level