944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ah, I'm in for a headache (MAF Q's)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009 | 05:05 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Default Ah, I'm in for a headache (MAF Q's)

So I obtained a MAF this past week. Just the MAF sensor and housing. I'm in the middle of a dry spell on tooling around. So I'm taking time at work and at home to help plan what I'm going to need to do to get all this working. So far I need the hardware and software to do this. The MAF I got is a Huntley unit, but it didn't come with anything like wire adapters or chips etc. Just the unit.

Here's what I need to know:

What will I need hardware-wise to properly install and wire this into my car?
What will I need to software-wise to properly dial everything in?
What can I expect from this MAF? Obviously it's a little older, but as long as it works, I'm considering it a fair upgrade over the stock crap that Porsche put on the car.

Any and all advice is accepted. Upgrading to a Vitesse etc. setup will wait until I get a different turbo, so yes... I intend on making this work.

BTW. I'm not sure what bearing this will have on feedback, but I am getting an MBC, boost gauge, and 3 bar FPR as well. I am attempting to set everything up to run on about 15-16 psi. That was my goal anyway.
Old 08-17-2009 | 05:28 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

BTW searching isn't helping much. I didn't get a kit, so it's not like I just need to figure out how to hook up the hardware. I'm going to be putting this together. If someone has some Huntley stuff to go with this (and no I'm not going to be buying that Huntley turbo kit... I just want to get this sensor working), then I may be interested in buying.
Old 08-17-2009 | 06:09 PM
robinsonracing
Racer

What can I expect from this MAF? Obviously it's a little older, but as long as it works, I'm considering it a fair upgrade over the stock crap that Porsche put on the car.

I wouldn't call it crap considering the factory 968TRS still uses it and makes 450+ HP.

You will need to know the flow #'s of the maf to get chips and then still need a piggyback or the like etc. Are you using stock inj??

IMHO, IF you plan to upgrade turbo, inj, intercooler, exhaust, intake, whatever, then don't spend a dollar now and do it right once. Way less headache and tons less money in the long run. Why do it twice?
Old 08-17-2009 | 06:27 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

I'm looking to make what I have work for now. I won't be getting a bigger turbo for another year at least. I'm going to be running stock injectors and turbo. BPV is getting replaced and I'm looking into wastegate options. Getting to flow #'s for my MAF shouldn't be hard. Just gotta get a hold of someone with experience with these. Thats what I'm really looking for- someone who knows these things and who knows MAF's
Old 08-17-2009 | 06:59 PM
67King
Race Car

I'd read up on this thread for starters. A MAF conversion isn't exactly simple.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...n-maf-kit.html
Old 08-17-2009 | 09:53 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Having just done a Vitesse install. My advice would be to wait and do it right. Even with the whole kit, the MAF injectors, the chip, and the wiring diagrams, it still took us a while to get the car fully sorted due the fact that MAFs magnify other issues with car's electrical and vacuum systems.

It is the summer time, enjoy the car for now and do it when you have all of the necessary components.
Old 08-17-2009 | 11:20 PM
2bridges
Drifting

trying to piece together something to work with a old, used, partially complete maf.
Without an appropriate matched chip at a minimum you are wasting your efforts.

Pissing into the wind my brutha
Old 08-17-2009 | 11:29 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

You are better off waiting and doing the MAF and turbo upgrade together.
Old 08-18-2009 | 05:51 PM
Supernotch93
Instructor

I have the Same setup and if you wire in a Split Second ARC2 module it will make your life ten times easier. Good luck! IF you search around google you will find this and how it works with our stock ECU.

Last edited by Supernotch93; 08-18-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-18-2009 | 06:25 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Okay... So, disregarding the posts about other brand MAF's etc.. If I wanted to make this one work, does anyone have any useful information regarding the setup and what it's going to take to make it work. I've already been approached by one productive member in private and he's helped quite a bit. However, I'm open to any other help. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2009 | 06:39 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

I bought SFR blow through MAF w/ splitsecond fuel cpu. I went a different route and went w/ a DTA stand alone that came w/ an engine I bought. I used the boost pipes and intake, but still have the CPU left over. Installed, but never used. Let me know if interested.

Thanks
Steve
Old 08-18-2009 | 07:56 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

CPU? like a controller?

Quick Reply: Ah, I'm in for a headache (MAF Q's)