Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Title a car vs. register a car...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 05:15 AM
SprintStar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Title a car vs. register a car...

What's the difference between titling a car and registering it? I read on this website that this guy brought a car back to US, titled it but never got round to registering it. What does this mean? Sorry, I'm not from the US but am curious.

Thanks!

Sprint.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:55 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Titling a car means having a legal document showing ownership of the car. In the USA to sell a car you must have a title to transfer ownership. In some states, when the car is over so many years old (20 or 25 years old) you do not need a title. Each state offers its unique title. A title is a document per state.

Registering a car means getting a legal registration or license so you can drive the car. Depending on the location, registering the car requires the car passes emission and safety tests (or none), and the owner of the car must have insurance.
You title the car once, showing ownership. You register the car every year or two years depending on the location where you are registering the car. Car registration follows the local (or county) rules and state rules and requirements.

Basically, if you own a car you have a tilte for the car showing ownership. You do not need to register a car unless you want to get license plates so you can drive it. To get a car registered you must have a title showing ownership (if a title is required by the state you live in). You do not need to register a car to get a title. The title transfers from one owner to the next at the time of the sale.

Keep in mind the laws vary from one state and one county to the next. The above is just a general hi level description.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:17 AM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

in az, colorado and hawaii, when you title the car you pay for the tags for one year and get a registration doc and a separate title.

95sl320 dd
Old 08-15-2009, 12:28 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Title = ownership
Registration = license plates
ou can register a car without the title, like the vast majority of the cars in the US where the bank holds title and you hold the bills.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:54 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rlm328
Title = ownership
Registration = license plates
ou can register a car without the title, like the vast majority of the cars in the US where the bank holds title and you hold the bills.
you still have the title in your posession with the lien listed.

95sl320 dd
Old 08-15-2009, 01:48 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Taxes is what is what registration is all about.

We (in us) pay state sales tax anually among other fees for a car you already bought and paid for until the car is a number of years old (15 years I think). In my state we also have "wheel tax" and a handfull of other taxes/fees.

For a 25K valued car I paid $1300 for ONE year liscense. Each year vehicle value decreases slightly and tax as well.

I should mention each state has different guidlines and taxes and as a result some states are far cheaper to register a vehicle.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:16 AM
SprintStar
Instructor

Thanks for all the replies! Understood!

Sprint.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:07 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Since he brought the car to the US make sure it's not registered due to non-compliance with DOT and US safety laws. Getting gray market compliance can be a real chore on some cars, especially exotics.

Quick Reply: Title a car vs. register a car...