Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:51 PM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is this?!?! (RANT)

Why do these pulleys cost $186.00

and these plugs for a balance shaft delete kit cost $200.00

I'm not an expert when it comes to machining but I don't see how materials plus the machining adds up to 200 dollars for these plugs.

Not bashing anybody, I realize you gotta make money but this just seems a little crazy.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Volume - I assume they sell a lot more pulley kits than bs deletes.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:57 PM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

Ok I was being a little unfair. It's $186.00 for 2 of the pulleys and 387.00 for the whole set. I just have a hard time paying 200 dollars for something so small just cus no one else makes it.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:04 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Supply/Demand simple economics
Old 07-31-2009, 12:14 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Well if they are the only ones making it(could be other) i think they can charge what they like. its not as if you have to purchase them. you could try and make 1 set of each and see how much that will cost you? I realise we dont have many aftermarket supplies for these cars, but it could be worse... we may have none.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:18 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

i think more r/d goes into making even those pulleys than you realize
Old 07-31-2009, 01:02 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
i think more r/d goes into making even those pulleys than you realize
Exactly. You're not only paying for the actual parts, but you're paying for the time it took to design them.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:49 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CNC time isnt cheap. Its cheaper per pc to do 1000 parts than 100 or 10.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:27 AM
eniac
Drifting

Same reason companies sell stage 1 chips for $250, stage II chips for $325 and stage III chips for $395 when the only difference is a few numbers in whatever software they used through thier eprom(This one bugs me the most!!!).

Same reason the simple exhaust in ours cars are twice what more complicated dual exhaust systems are.

Same reason for insane prices on fuel lines, IC pipes, MAF systems, solid mounts, and control arms.

Same reason companies sell turbos for "our" cars at 3 times the cost of what you can buy the same turbo for directly from a place like Michigan Turbo or Majestic Turbo.

The reason....people continue to pay it like it's an expected premium for modding a Porsche. No one will spend that kinda of money for Honda Civic parts and thus aftermarket pulleys and exhausts are dirt cheap in comparison. If one can make $100 extra off something and people buy it, then of course it will continue to sell for that.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:12 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eniac
Same reason companies sell stage 1 chips for $250, stage II chips for $325 and stage III chips for $395 when the only difference is a few numbers in whatever software they used through thier eprom(This one bugs me the most!!!).

Same reason the simple exhaust in ours cars are twice what more complicated dual exhaust systems are.

Same reason for insane prices on fuel lines, IC pipes, MAF systems, solid mounts, and control arms.

Same reason companies sell turbos for "our" cars at 3 times the cost of what you can buy the same turbo for directly from a place like Michigan Turbo or Majestic Turbo.

The reason....people continue to pay it like it's an expected premium for modding a Porsche. No one will spend that kinda of money for Honda Civic parts and thus aftermarket pulleys and exhausts are dirt cheap in comparison. If one can make $100 extra off something and people buy it, then of course it will continue to sell for that.
good points
Old 07-31-2009, 10:32 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eniac

To the OP..

It is misleading to compare our cars with a car that was made en mass... There have been more Honda Civics made each of the last 20 years, than the total volume of 924-944-968 cars made total from 75 to 95... that means the Civic parts SHOULD be cheaper, as the market for them is much larger, refer back to earlier post where it was listed that it is cheaper to make 100 then 10, and cheaper to make 10 then 1. If you want a civic buy one... mod away...

TURBOS... buy your turbo from a different place, why do you think the "kit" vendors (LR, Vitesse, etc..) keep the specs of their turbos close to the chest? THEY did the work to make turbo X work in a kit for our cars... this includes chips , flow rates, etc... it is a significant amount of work to make it all gel.. different turbos are not plug and play... try it once, and you will reconsider your decision to try it at all...

NOW..Chips... there is a little more flexibility here than in some other areas... you CAN do stand alone, but it can be expensive.. I have been using MaxTune and an Ostrich... a little more than 1 set of chips, but I have full control of the software on my car.. and can even use an EEPROM if I so choose...

What it all boils down to is... If you don't like the price of admission, don't come to the dance... plain and simple... If it was cheap everyone would have one...

1st rule of engineering, often overlooked by AM car part suppliers, but at least they fall by the wayside quickly:
You can have it cheap, fast, or good... You may also have any two of the 3 together, but NEVER all 3 at the same time.

If you want it tomorrow, and a good part, it won't be cheap, if you want it tomorrow and cheap, it won't be good, and if you want it cheap and good, you won't have it tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:13 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Eniac and Shape, I agree with you guys completely. I understand supply and demand thing, but still vendors make a killing on us. As John said this is unfortunately part of owning these cars and we have to accept that or not mod.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:19 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

We drive Porsches. Wanna tell me why a supercharger kit for a BMW can be $10K? Still wrapping my head around that one. "Hey here's a boost kit that costs more than some people's cars!"
Old 07-31-2009, 12:50 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

My bs delete plugs were made by Dortmund.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It has cost me much more then that for pulleys...

Quick Reply: Why is this?!?! (RANT)