944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AFRs and Timing advance/retard

Old 07-28-2009, 04:10 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK 89 Turbo S, Lindsey Stage 2 Head ,Race ware Studs, Lindsey Dual Port waste gate, Test Pipe,55 lbs injectors, Manual Boost Controller,Zetronix Wide band, Arm 1, narrow band, Max Chips for 18 lbs on pump gas.

I have the boost at 12.5, just got the car and still getting use to it. Idles fine, part throttle fine, seems kind of lazy off boost and the AF goes to 10 something on boost. Gas mileage sucks but it idles at 14.7 and part throttle is 14.7 and it runs fine around town.

Thinking about using the narrow band 16.1 simulator in the Zetronix software.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Most chips are tuned for a certain boost level. I would increase the boost closer to what the chip was designed for.

-Rogue
Old 07-28-2009, 05:38 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Well I could, I have seen the data logs at 17.5boost and the AF still goes to 10.
Still getting use to the car. It's freaking fast and we have more cops per mile here then any place I have ever seen.

Dayton NV about 20 miles from Carson City NV. I seem to be the only 951 out here, couple real clean NA's running around but no 951's.

It's real hot here now, if I sit the boost to 17 and it's 95 degrees would the boost be higher when the temps are
lower?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:39 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idle and Part throttle on Russels chips still use the NBO2 functions of the DME, hence your 14.7 at idle and around town... I bet if you unplug your O2 sensor you will see a drop in your AFR on your Zietronix...

I would either get new chips, swap beck to your stock injectors (dangerous) or raise the boost to the level the chips are tuned to...

Using the NB output from your Zietronix MIGHT get you closer, but the adjuastment there is limited... You really should be running as the chips were set up to run, or have a set of chips set up to how you are running your car...

My initial tuning runs were done with the factory O2 sensor disconnected, and I tuned for 14.7 at idle and cruise... then played with the WOT MAP... You could also contact Russel Berry at MaxHPKit.com to see if there is anyone in your area with MaxTune full version that can retune your chips...
Old 07-28-2009, 05:43 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by schip43
Well I could, I have seen the data logs at 17.5boost and the AF still goes to 10.
Still getting use to the car. It's freaking fast and we have more cops per mile here then any place I have ever seen.

Dayton NV about 20 miles from Carson City NV. I seem to be the only 951 out here, couple real clean NA's running around but no 951's.

It's real hot here now, if I sit the boost to 17 and it's 95 degrees would it be higher when the temps are
lower?
Sounds to me like your chips are not setup for your 55lb injectors...
Old 07-28-2009, 07:03 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Hmm, the voltage at the AFM never goes to 5 volts it's always been maxed at 4.59 volts. Is this normal? If I am not getting 5 volts could it cause scaling problems with A\F at WOT?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:10 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Hmm, the voltage at the AFM never goes to 5 volts it's always been maxed at 4.59 volts. Is this normal? If I am not getting 5 volts could it cause scaling problems with A\F at WOT?
YES, the WOT maps do not take into account the NBO2 input, they go off the programmed map at given RPM....

4.59 is awefull high for the stock AFM to be hitting, I have a MAF and 55lb injectors, I only ever see 4.3V at WOT at 5300RPM.... and maintain 12.0:1 at that level... but my WOT map is WAY scaled back from what it had been with the 36lb stock injectors at the same AFR...

If you are at 10:1 (Ziteronix will only go to 9.6:1 BTW...) you are WAY too rich, needing to drop your WOT map by 10 points at least...

If you need proof that your scaling is off, unplug your O2 sensor and watch what your AFRs do... at idle and part throttle I bet they drop through the floor... along with your gas mileage...

my idle and part throttle maps are adjusted to 14.7:1 with the stock O2 sensor disconnected...
Old 07-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Your AFM spring could be worn - making it read too high for a given airflow.
Also, you could have a boost-leak, which would also give a overrated airflow signal.

-Rogue
Old 07-28-2009, 07:41 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Well, everything to put newer turbo in should be here by Friday (not 100% sure about AOS o-rings and venturi delete, but I got extra intake gaskets just in case....)

Car is parked until then..need to begin the soak of the PB Blaster, and go out and pick up an impact for the nuts (makes life easier)... If they don't want to play nice, I'm gonna dremel them enough to make them wish they had played nice...

Until then no more toying with my maps... just waiting for the nuts to come off, and parts to show up..
NEW:
Turbo mounting bolts.
Throttle body kit
exhaust hardware (bought the entire kit for $41)
turbo in and out seals
crush washers
oil o rings
intake gaskets
venturi delete (not sure if it has ever been done, but can always use new hoses)
AOS O rings
also planning to replace the last few water hoses I didn't do when I did the radiator, hoses, WP and belts
AND will be removing the last little bits of the stock boost control that still live under my intake...

USED 26-6 turbo without any shaft play (should do beter than the 1/4 inch of lateral shaft play I have now)
Old 07-28-2009, 07:52 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Unplug the NB I assume, so no closed loop.

If it's not to scale, I'll take your word for it. But i'll try that and see what it does, will it still idle w/o the narrow band?

Any idea what could throw it off? The mileage already sucks 19.5 mpg.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Hmm, the voltage at the AFM never goes to 5 volts it's always been maxed at 4.59 volts. Is this normal? If I am not getting 5 volts could it cause scaling problems?
If you have a stock AFM, you can push the flap open by hand and see what voltage you get when it's all the way open. Some disassembly required to get to it of course.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:59 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Unplug the NB I assume, so no closed loop.

If it's not to scale, I'll take your word for it. But i'll try that and see what it does, will it still idle w/o the narrow band?

Any idea what could throw it off? The mileage already sucks 19.5 mpg.
It should idle fine with the NB unplugged, your AFR will just change...

I have a similar setup to yours, and I am getting 20MPG IF I beat on it... cruise on the highway I am in the high 20s...
Old 07-28-2009, 08:26 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

I have the docs for the Max Chips but not the instructions what are the FQS settings for 55's.

It had Guru Chips ibefore and a Huntly MAF/Arc 2. I still have those and a Max Chip for a MAF. Think it's worth reinstalling those parts, I know time has moved on but I have the parts.

He had to take off the MAF to pass smog, Visual test in Ca.

I'll check out the readings on the AFM and the TPS, it runs and idles fine though
Old 07-28-2009, 08:38 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

OK DVOM push on it what voltage should I see?

Disassemble not a problem have to fix the Alt anyway,it's barely charging at 13 volts. I assume the Alternator is down there somewhere.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:03 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

FQS settings on all MaxHP chips are same as factory +3%-3%+6%... you need more than -3% on fuel...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AFRs and Timing advance/retard