Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone have instructions for the KISS oil cooler installation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone have instructions for the KISS oil cooler installation?

The cooler is installed on my car, behind the drivers side fog light, but the light bucket was never modified to allow air to flow to the cooler with the light removed. I'd like to see how they recommend modifying the light bucket so I can switch between street use with the light in, and track use with the light out.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:01 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have them some where in the garage

I drilled my light box and fabricated a tunel fo feed the air through. Drilling alone does not guarentee air flow which is what you want for max cooling
Old 07-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Let me know if you don't have any luck with instructions. The guy who makes them is a friend and I can have him get in touch if needed.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:03 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the Kiss cooler is installed in the standard position, and assuming a track car..........

If you remove the driver's side fog light and open up the rear of the fog light bucket in the bumper, you'll get tons of air blowing right onto the cooler. You can fancy up the fog light bucket with some SS mesh or leave it ghetto. Its even more effective if you extend the shape of the bucket with some light gauge flashing Al to duct the air right onto the cooler.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Bob_in_Chicago
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

KISS says that you drill out four to six 1.5" holes in the bumper cover behind the driver's side driving/fog light. He says you could remove the light for the track and put it back in for street. KISS says nothing about how to do the R&R of the light.

During my install, I checked this out & determined that you'll have a devil of a time removing the light without removing the bumper cover to get to the two nuts behind the cover that hold the light and its wire connectors.

Last edited by Bob_in_Chicago; 07-21-2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-21-2009, 09:52 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Here it is installed in my car.
Attached Images  

Last edited by dand86951; 07-21-2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 07-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I found earlier this evening that the light itself wasn't all that hard to remove - just four screws (after the pieces on each side are removed) although the outboard ones were rusted in place and I had to drill one of them out. And a couple electrical leads need to be unplugged to remove the light housing entirely.

The info on the Paragon site says that a 3"x5" opening is made in the bucket behind the light to allow air to flow into the cooler. It also makes reference to "parts" included in the kit for this mod. I'm not sure what the "parts" are for, but it looks like you should be able to hack away at the bucket to create a 3x5 (or so) opening, or drill some holes in it or whatever. To remove the light bucket to work on it carefully, it does appear that needs to be done from the backside of the bumper cover. I'm very interested in seeing how the KISS instructions recommend doing the mod, so I can do something reasonably clean.

I do like the idea of being able to remove the light for the track, but being able to put it back afterwards for a stock look. Even with it out, I'll probably want to put some sort of mesh screen over the opening to help protect the cooler from all the Hoosier boogers trying to clog it up. As Tony (APKhaos) knows, I am biased against the "ghetto" look; I prefer to look good as I pass the 911's on the track!

So, if anyone has the actual instructions from KISS, or pics showing a clean mod to the light bucket, please share them with me!

Old 07-21-2009, 10:36 PM
DanR
Drifting

here are a few
Attached Images    
Old 07-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Dan - that looks GOOD!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember when I mounted mine I did not like the location of the cooler behind the light as it didn't have a straight flow of air through it. With the bumper cover off, I mounted mine even with the bottom of the radiator and have the oil lines coming out the top. By fabbing up some brackets it puts the cooler in the same location as the factory cooler on the passenger side. It get a straight shot of air through the slots on the bumper cover and funnels out around the fender well. I also fabbed up a piece of aluminum to mount on the bottom of the cooler and goes to the front of the bumper cover to keep air from going around the cooler. I'll try to get some pics if interested.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:27 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Musche
I remember when I mounted mine I did not like the location of the cooler behind the light as it didn't have a straight flow of air through it. With the bumper cover off, I mounted mine even with the bottom of the radiator and have the oil lines coming out the top. By fabbing up some brackets it puts the cooler in the same location as the factory cooler on the passenger side. It get a straight shot of air through the slots on the bumper cover and funnels out around the fender well. I also fabbed up a piece of aluminum to mount on the bottom of the cooler and goes to the front of the bumper cover to keep air from going around the cooler. I'll try to get some pics if interested.
Yes please...

Quick Reply: Anyone have instructions for the KISS oil cooler installation?