Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

It's been a nice run but..

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:11 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Pretty much "ditto" to what most folks are saying here

I'm 31 now. I was on the ~6 year plan through college - though not because I'm a complete idiot (I'm only a little idiot...), it was because I wanted to do too much at once. I had a few major changes (started off Mechanical Engineering, switched to Physics w/Math minor, then back to M.E., then eventually to Computer Science which is what I graduated with.) I worked full-time throughout most of my college career, partially to pay for whatever books and tuition my loans wouldn't cover... the rest was for my toys and hobbies. It was tough. I had 2 cars early into my college career (I was big into Shelby Dodges then... if you think a 951 is high maintenance, try a turbocharged Dodge Omni...) and eventually worked my way up to a brand new 2001 Z06 Corvette (plus a 2000 VW Jetta "beater") *plus* a motorcycle and a toolbox full of tools. I also had a pretty heavy track day habit (both bike and car) and thanks to my toys, I *had* to have housing that included a garage (which limited me to ONE apartment complex in town, and it wasn't cheap, either.) Not a problem, I'll just work more, right?

Well, I eventually graduated (with a 3.5GPA) WHILE holding on to all my toys. It wasn't easy. I spent 50% of my time at work, 30% of my time doing homework, 15% sleeping, and 5% "everything else." I am fortunate enough that I learn best on my own (and not while being lectured to), so I hardly *ever* went to class. That "5% everything else" category I listed above included actual time going to class, + other hobbies (track days, bars, dating, etc.)

It was nice having a cool car in college, and I couldn't picture life without my toys. And I learned a lot through them too. I don't think I really regret any of it (lots of good times), it all paid off in the end (I have a *great* job working for Microsoft now) but at the same time, I missed out on a LOT (and also walked out of school with a TON of debt.) If I were to go back and do it over again, knowing what I know now - I'd get rid of all the toys, go as minimal as possible. Work less, socialize more. Just overall enjoy myself more and keep the stress levels down. Hell if I'd sold everything off from the very beginning, I could've been "one of those kids" I was always so jealous of... the ones who spent 30% of their time on class+homework, and the remaining 70% partying and having fun, and not held a job at ALL!
Old 06-30-2009, 05:32 AM
RPHARRIS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Haha it's reassuring to hear that someone wishes they had done things the way I'm doing them. I absolutely refuse to let the 951 take over any significant part of my life. The 951 stays at home when I go to school. I've had it since I was 16 and it took over way too much of my time for the first 2 or 3 years. Eventually I came to the realization that there's plenty of time to do everything I want to do with it AFTER I have a stable income. For now I'd rather buzz around in my convertible and do the stuff young people are supposed to do. Hopefully this community will still be around when I decide to dust off the 951 and start playing around with it again.

Don't give up an ounce of your youth for a f---ing car. It's not worth it, go to school, learn, party, club, mountain bike, ...do stuff you won't be able to do in 15 years. Sh*t spend $300 bucks on a crazy weekend with your friends, not a pair of aluminum intercooler pipes.

Lorax, I'm about the same age as you. My advice (if you don't want to go to school) is to set a monthly budget for your car ...strictly maintenance. I think everyone here would agree that your car is awesome and you don't need to put another penny into it except for basic maintenance. Maybe also budget a certain amount of time to work on it. Be realistic with yourself and see how that works for two or three months. If you don't have the self control, sell it. There are other cars that can offer you similar thrills for a lot less heartache.

If you do decide to go to school (which is a total bast!) then sell it and get a cheap reliable convertible. Most people who are any fun at all don't care what you're driving, especially if it's a convertible. Girls go nuts for them too. There are things I've learned in college classes that have completely changed my outlook on life; it's been such a huge part of growing up for me. I wouldn't give up the education for anything except perhaps the friends I've made. Give it plenty of thought; you seem to be a very intelligent guy and you would probably have a blast in school. Maybe just try it out for a semester and see what you think? It's nothing like high school!

Whatever you do, don't end up like mrporsche951 or whatever his name was. If there's one thing we can learn from that guy it's that a car can push you off the deep end if let it! Find a way to enjoy your youth while setting yourself up for a prosperous future. You might find that tinkering with a Porsche is either conducive or antithetical to this goal. ultimately It's up to you to figure out what you need to do; everyone is different.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:18 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Lorax, put those 400 lb springs on the front and hit a DE. Just beware that you will probably change your mind about getting rid of the 951.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:24 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RPHARRIS
Sh*t spend $300 bucks on a crazy weekend with your friends, not a pair of aluminum intercooler pipes.
SO true.

In 10 years, when you're married with a mortgage, a kid or two, a career... all you'll have of those college days are memories. You won't WANT to go out drinking until 4am 6 nights a week anymore (in fact, bed starts looking pretty good around 10pm!) But it'll sure be fun to reminisce. Go make some memories.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorax
feel like doing a little instruction?
Sure, I am always up for that! - I just got back froma day at the new Monticello track....nice!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Sure, I am always up for that! - I just got back froma day at the new Monticello track....nice!
I was there, too. What were you driving?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Van
I was there, too. What were you driving?
I was sharing my buddies blue 928 - the one that sounds real nice!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Cool - I helped push start it... Are you going to the July 22/23 Glen event?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Van
Cool - I helped push start it... Are you going to the July 22/23 Glen event?
Yep, I'll be there with the Silver Mini Cooper (sharing with the wife).

It always amazes me the number of people I know for Rennlist that I met at teh track but never figure out who they are (Screen names!).

At a GVC event a couple of years ago I instructed a guy all week end only to find out that he was the father of a regular rennlist poster - when I made the connection I ended up knowing more about the car than he did!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Yeah, it is funny. I was chatting with Morgan Reese yesterday (about the video work he was doing) for about 15 minutes before I remembered that I had him as an instructor at Watkins Glen in 1997 (and he took me for a ride in his viper - that's the only reason why I remember at all!)

I'll make a point of introducing myself at the next event.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:03 PM
BGA9512
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lorax,
I waited until my kids are in college before buying the 951. Both at excellent instate schools, one public GA Tech and the other private, but with a full academic scholarship. Once she won that ($29,000 X 4 years) I felt free to buy the 951 as an extra car, the 5th car in the family. I am blessed to be earning a salary of 6 figures a year even though I barely made it through high school. Because of some great breaks and timing, things have worked out for me despite a lack of formal education, but I have had to push down some doors that were not open to me. Maybe the lack of education has made me work harder and seek understanding more than others to compensate, who knows? Graduating high school at 17, I was conscripted into the military for 2 years and went straight to work, later moving into the IT field. Getting my own house at 21 and then getting married and starting a family soon after left no option for putting my life on pause while I went to university. This is something I regret and can't undo.

It seems like you have started a great practical education for yourself, now it is time to get some formal education which will work as a multiplier to your salary for the next 40 to 50 years. If that means selling the 951, or preferably scaling back to required maintenance only, so be it.

You're obviously smart enough and have already come to the right conclusion. Now execute.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Van
Yeah, it is funny. I was chatting with Morgan Reese yesterday (about the video work he was doing) for about 15 minutes before I remembered that I had him as an instructor at Watkins Glen in 1997 (and he took me for a ride in his viper - that's the only reason why I remember at all!)

I'll make a point of introducing myself at the next event.
I usually have my 'helmet hair' baseball hat - its an old 'Porschelist' hat - that used to be all it took to get rennlisters to ask who I was !

Quick Reply: It's been a nice run but..