Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Auto Dimmer review mirror

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:45 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto Dimmer review mirror

My biggest pain when it comes to these cars is that i've driven newer cars that have the auto-dimmer rear-view mirror. I spend so much time flipping the dimmer on the mirror because of all the new halegon lights from the BMW and Audi's etc How difficult would it be to get a mirror from a modern car and slap in ours?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:29 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha, that is a good point, the favorite thing about my ford truck is the mirror. I don't know how it works but I never have to even touch it. I imagine it is all integrated and only requires 12v but have never messed with one....Bruce
PS...The worst guys to have behind me though are those damn 4x4 trucks (umm, kinda like mine). First I feel like I'm getting a neck sunburn and second, you know they can't stop for crap ...;]
Old 06-13-2009, 07:42 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You need a switched 12V supply (very low current draw for the mirror)...this can be done in many ways/locations

You then mount the new mirror to the windshield with adhesive, just like current OEM installs.

The mirrors come with integrated Homelink remote controls (for garage doors, etc) if you like. There are also versions that incorporate a Valentine 1 radar detector display and even ones that integrate an LCD display for rear view camera (only visible when you activate reverse)

Gentex makes most of these and are sold on the web (eBay, google, etc)
http://www.gentex.com/auto_plo_interior.html

Random webpage example showing all of the various options
http://www.autodax.com/catalog/plist...&psorted=alpha
Old 06-13-2009, 10:42 AM
rh951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Shop sells the gentek mirrors if you have an interest i can see if we are competively priced.
just pm me.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:55 AM
GrantM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's pretty straight forward to put a modern mirror in our cars, I did it last summer and it is awesome. The mirror mount needs to be changed from the button mount to a wedge base, then you have the pick of most any mirror you need. My Gentex mirror is autodimming, has homelink, a compass, and outside temperature reading. It did take a glass shop using a torch to get the original mirror button mount off though. The new mirror is larger than the original one, so the visors will not flip completely forward to the windshield now, I only ever did that to hold the sunshade in place though.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:22 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sebastian944
My biggest pain when it comes to these cars is that i've driven newer cars that have the auto-dimmer rear-view mirror. I spend so much time flipping the dimmer on the mirror because of all the new halegon lights from the BMW and Audi's etc How difficult would it be to get a mirror from a modern car and slap in ours?
Why are you constantly flipping the mirror? Flip it towards you at night, flip it away from you (towards the windshield) during the day. If you're flipping the lever the opposite way, your mirror isn't set correctly.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:04 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Because it's too dark with it flipped towards me at night. I can't make out police cars etc.. It's only when someone has bright lights and this happens with about every 7 or 8 cars so i'm flipping it back and forth. I don't know how the autodimmer works so well in new cars.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:18 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantM
It's pretty straight forward to put a modern mirror in our cars, I did it last summer and it is awesome. The mirror mount needs to be changed from the button mount to a wedge base, then you have the pick of most any mirror you need. My Gentex mirror is autodimming, has homelink, a compass, and outside temperature reading. It did take a glass shop using a torch to get the original mirror button mount off though. The new mirror is larger than the original one, so the visors will not flip completely forward to the windshield now, I only ever did that to hold the sunshade in place though.
Do you have any pictures? A compass and temperature reading sounds luxurious
Old 06-13-2009, 06:18 PM
GrantM
Instructor

Before I got an autodimming mirror, I thought they were a complete waste. Now, I have them in both of my cars, and they are awesome. Once you use one, you will not go back... especially in a low sports car with a pickup behind you at night!

Here is the link to the mirror and the website I purchased mine from. The guy is awesome to deal with. Get the extra mirror mount and the wire cover to hide the wires. I'll get a picture of mine sometime too.

http://www.brandnewauto.com/AUTO-DIM...-p6053597.html
Old 06-13-2009, 06:28 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My autodimming mirror is my right foot. Bright lights in the mirror, put some distance in between, and no more bright lights!
Old 06-13-2009, 10:26 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Use your mirror to aim the lights back at the offender...like I do...
Old 06-13-2009, 11:43 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by sebastian944
Because it's too dark with it flipped towards me at night. I can't make out police cars etc.. It's only when someone has bright lights and this happens with about every 7 or 8 cars so i'm flipping it back and forth. I don't know how the autodimmer works so well in new cars.
Maybe you should be spending your money on a visit to the optometrist

I've had auto-dimming mirrors in my last 4 cars and while they're nice, I don't see the need to change from a manual one. :shrug:

Gentex makes a 9" wide auto-dimming mirror. Probably a better fit for these cars than their standard sized ones.

EDIT: Doing a quick Google search for Porsche auto dimming mirror turned up some that are listed as a custom fit for a 944. I wonder if those use the factory mount. The price started at $79 for just a auto-dimmer. The place was AutoSport Catalog.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:15 AM
GrantM
Instructor

The auto-dimming mirror from autosport catalog that I found does not have homelink which was actually the main reason I bought the mirror, the other features are just nice to have for me. It also says it is 12" x 3" x 3". Having a larger than stock mirror is not a bad thing, I wasn't complaining about the width, just mentioning it so it did not surprise anyone else.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Are those mirrors double-articulated? Can they be moved down enough out of the way so the sunvisors clear? Please post pictures when you can. I've thought about going this route, but not really for the auto-dimming; I was more interested in one with the map/interior lights since the little stock one is pretty weak.

I have a spare auto-dimming mirror that came out of my WK, but that thing is a monster. It has the SmartBeam pod on it. At one point I was thinking about taking the guts out of it and installing a camera in it for track days. Maybe I'll take a look at it again and reconsider. It doesn't have the map lights built into it like I wanted.

I searched for a while last night looking for the 9" wide version, and I couldn't find it. All I could find was articles saying they were going to provide those to various car manufacturers as OEM installs.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:20 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Or you could just tint the hatch.... Ever since I did it, headlights do not bother me at all.

Quick Reply: Auto Dimmer review mirror