Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Strut Situation: Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Strut Situation: Need Advice

OK, so my new to me 951 has a strut situation that I need to resolve.

Driver front has a worn out stock strut.
Passenger front has an unknown condition (don't know how to tell?) koni strut.

What should I do? Here are the options I can think of...
a.) Find a cheap stock worn out strut for the pass side, and buy 160ish each koni inserts from paragon (on sale) and hack the struts.
b.) Buy a pair of 300 dollar koni strut within driving distance on ebay, SUPPOSEDLY in good condition
c.) Buy a driver koni strut for cheap (there is one on ebay now) and get both koni struts rebuilt
d.) Hack my driver side for strut insert and get koni side rebuilt.

Also, has anyone found out the part number for bilsteins that will work the same way as the koni hack for stock struts? I see someone got them in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-bilstein.html

Can the koni strut be hacked to take an insert?

Looking for the cheapest best option to have functioning struts! Thanks..
Old 06-05-2009, 08:23 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy two new front struts, such as the Firehawk option, from LR.
You might try the Koni's that are close bye. I think Tony
Damiza is selling them. He's a lister and sells tons of stuff on ebay.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

From LR?edit NM, obviously Lindsey. Too much $. even stock sach strut is 225 a piece which I would maybe consider, but it would be cheaper to go koni insert or the used koni's.

The struts from Damiza are the ones I am talking about. If he claims they are in "good condition" should I believe that? I don't want to end up 600 in the hole if I have to get them rebuilt. Also, he states they won't work for an 86 turbo, but from what I've read here they all are backwards compatable.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:53 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The smart thing to do is to buy a new pair of struts.
If you don't want to find a way to afford that, then buy them from Tony. Like I said, he's a "lister", so if he says they are good, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. He's not just some random guy. I believe his ebay feedback is 100%, or damned near it.
If he says they won't work than you'd be wise to find out for yourself, before buying. He buys and parts more cars than just about anyone here. He would probabaly know. I think those struts may be M030's, rather than stock 86 Boge struts.
The rest is up to you.

http://www.eshocks.com/bil_vehR.asp?...ubChar=Q&Spec=

You can get two brand new Firehawk struts for 750.00, from the link above.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:31 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

As for the question in your OP, yes you can hacksaw the Koni to take teh insert, plus with the insert you pick up the strut top adjusting tab, that is what I did for my 951 (Koni sprt factory optioned car) and I am VERY happy with the results... spend the extra couple of bucks and order the Paragon ARHK (adjustable ride height kit) as well, you wont be disapointed...
Old 06-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I'd go with John - hack up the struts you have and do new koni inserts. The end results are new shocks (which will be better than used any day).

And the adjustable ride height kit is a good idea, too (but then you'll have to corner balance the car).
Old 06-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

OK i'll just order the inserts, thanks. I guess I'll have to find yellow paint too because my struts wont match in color ;P
Old 06-06-2009, 11:56 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by damiza318
I have ones from both an '86 and an '88. If you decide to go with mine and if for some reason should they turn out to be no good and not exactly to your liking, then return them in their original packaging and mark "return to sender" on them and I will refund your money when I get them back. Also I'll knock $50 off the pair if you buy them outside of eBay and the deal is done totally on the side. This way I'll pass my savings onto you that I avoid on eBay fees. I'm always willing to work with my customers and if any of the parts aren't good then I always offer refunds on them. So you never have anything to lose by buying any of my parts and nothing to worry about. And sorry but none of them are M030's at least for the time being. I will though have a set available for sale in the near future.

and thanks, I appreciate the referal ehall
That definately sounds like good customer service, and if one is not TOTALY comfortable with taking a hacksaw and drill to their struts, definately the way to go, buy decent used if on a budget, and NEW if time is the major concern...

PS, don't let E-ba find out you are willing to take side deals... it is still a TOS violation... Had a friend I was joking with on E-bay, offered him a trade for a Hemi GTX (real, numbers matching... sold it for 65K, worth almost double that, but rear was tubbed/shortened axle/ 10 inch Slicks... he bought it that way) he replied to me, E-bay canceled his auction and charged him the full fee for the sale per their TOS... and that was before they redefined them...

I do all my own work, and have for more than 20 years now... Im comfortable hacking into my gauge cluster, and taking a plasma torch to the body... so I went hacksaw without thinking twice... it is a solid kit, but for those on here who don't change their own oil, but need a cheap strut set, Damizas set is THE way to go...
Old 06-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Hey damiza, I left you an ebay message, not sure if you saw it. If just about all the struts on pelican/paragon are for 86-89 turbos is there something different about those struts from the 88 that wouldn't work on my 86? I like the low mileage on them and may consider giving them a try.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:16 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by damiza318
I have ones from both an '86 and an '88. If you decide to go with mine and if for some reason should they turn out to be no good and not exactly to your liking, then return them in their original packaging and mark "return to sender" on them and I will refund your money when I get them back. Also I'll knock $50 off the pair if you buy them outside of eBay and the deal is done totally on the side. This way I'll pass my savings onto you that I avoid on eBay fees. I'm always willing to work with my customers and if any of the parts aren't good then I always offer refunds on them. So you never have anything to lose by buying any of my parts and nothing to worry about. And sorry but none of them are M030's at least for the time being. I will though have a set available for sale in the near future.

and thanks, I appreciate the referal ehall
I rest my case.

Tony, I'll reply to your pm later today. Thanks for remembering that item.

Quick Reply: Strut Situation: Need Advice