Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

no spark problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009 | 03:23 PM
87_951_Turbo
Advanced

Default no spark problem

I have been having the symptoms of a bad speed and reference sensors for the last month. I would try to start the car and would get no spark. Wiggle the sensors and mess with the wiring and it would start. When it would get to operating temp it would stumble, almost die then come to life again, but would shut off.

so yesterday i got my sensors in the mail. (Hoping this would fix the problem) When i put them in i continued to get no spark. Switched the connectors, still nothing. This problem is really frustrating and could really use any help.

thanks for reading
Old 06-03-2009 | 03:34 PM
blown 944
Race Car

The plugs on the s/r harness side are often bad. Same goes for the injector plugs which can cause similiar problems.

Have you eliminated the DME relay as a problem as well..

A good method is to use the 3 wire jumper to eliminate pre DME problems ie: relay, alarm relay module
Old 06-03-2009 | 03:40 PM
87_951_Turbo
Advanced

yea i checked the dme relay, it checked out ok. Im not worried about the injectors im getting fuel pressure and the spark plugs were wet.

Should i change the harness side of the s/r sensors?
Im not to familiar with the three wire jumper your talking bout.
Old 06-03-2009 | 04:08 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Originally Posted by 87_951_Turbo

Should i change the harness side of the s/r sensors?
Im not to familiar with the three wire jumper your talking bout.
I would verify that it is the plugs first by cutting them open and see if the wiring is disconnected or frayed

the 3 wire is used to bypass the DME relay. You just connect 3... 3" long wires together then put male connectors on the ends of the wires and plug them into the 3 large slots where the dme relay goes. I have found it useful for determining many things ie; fuel pump, dme power, alarm problems etc..

Have you also checked the gap of the sensors??...I had a stripped bolt cause one of the sensors to become to far out and not get signal
Old 06-03-2009 | 04:44 PM
87_951_Turbo
Advanced

i just went to go check the harness and just to see if it would start, tried to start it.

it started up, ran fine until it got about half on the temp gauge, and then cut out. Tried starting it again it started for a few min then cut out again. now it wont start.

I am pretty sure the gap in the sensors is ok. Its only messed up if the locking plate is removed(?) also i installed the washer on the one sensor.

I noticed today when it started up that the tach doesn't bounce. That's wiring to the dme correct?

thanks for the reply's!!!!
Old 06-03-2009 | 05:02 PM
blown 944
Race Car

could be wiring to the dme and could also be the s/r sensors.

You really need to measure the gap to be sure about the distance there is a nice writeup on clarks that shows how to do it using an old sensor and a washer. Considering you are experiencing problems along with heat that may be the problem...or it could be something else..these are 944's after all.
Old 06-04-2009 | 06:33 PM
87_951_Turbo
Advanced

i cut open the female connectors and there was an exposed wire on one. I went ahead and bought the harness from the connectors to the dme.

im going to go back and double check the gap between the sensors.

thanks for all the help!!!
Old 06-04-2009 | 07:08 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

I had the same problem, turned out to be problems under the fusebox, the S/R sensors gap/harness and finally the injectors harness..

Quick Reply: no spark problem