Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Head gasket questions from the other side

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:48 PM
DEMETRIOS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tom I ll pay in euros though( Drahma comes and goes for the last 2500 years)
Old 12-18-2012, 05:42 PM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

I am back and sorry for not reporting on this any time sooner. I had to work very hard in the office for about two years.

In any case, I've been reporting the progress or lack of it in the 928 section: https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...e-streets.html

The project has been progressing slowly. Currently, I am somewhere around 700 flywheel hp based on dyno results and air and fuel consumption. The main frustration is that I have a big-cam hot-rodded low-compression engine waiting to go in, but the completely stock S4 engine refuses to break down. I've shown it about 20psi at 6500 rpm and it's mocking me. I've clearly underestimated the strength of a bone stock '87 S4 engine. I don't know what's wrong with me or it, maybe it's just the extremely thick top pistons and the relatively low compression ratio at 9.4:1.

Current obstacle to destroying the stock engine is that the "cold" side MAF boot starts leaking somewhere between 15 and 20psi and pops off by 20 psi. Stronger brackets are being water jetted and rings are being installed in grooves this month, so I am a bit more optimistic that the original '87 engine will meet it's maker in January.

Originally Posted by Chris White
One poster pointed out that tuning is important, that is right on. I think I could get wet tissue paper to work as a head gasket if the tuning is correct! If the tuning is wrong then nothing will last.
I can confirm that wet tissue paper works just fine with boosted 928s. There's no indication of any kind of problems with (what i believe are) the quarter century old head gaskets.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
an 800HP 928... dear god...
Originally Posted by Lorax
It's about time for a few of those.
Originally Posted by Lorax
Definitely post some results over here whatever you achieve, I have always wondered why their aren't more 928's in the 700-1000hp league.
There's a twin turbo car in Wisconsin built by Todd Tremel that does 822 rwhp on pump gas. More on that is described on on the other subforum.

Originally Posted by Chris White
944 turbos have a factory oil cooler too...not enough! 260+ oil temps on the track...
No temperature problems so far with a completely stock cooling system, both oil and coolant systems are as they came from the factory. Data logs equillibrate to about 195F coolant temperature by memory. I live in the Northeast and don't track the car, though, so maybe I am just trying hard enough to overheat it.

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
You are just fine with original gasket if you have correct A/F and ignition timing values. Quite old thread, i suppose he have already made his choice.
Stock head gasket is in the car and has been since 1987. The low compression engine waiting to go in also has a stock (spare part 1.6mm) head gasket. The next engine that I am planning now may have something different, or may not. So far, the gasket has been a total non-issue, possibly because I don't let it knock.

Here's a photo of the engine bay. I like the look of this turbo kit, the manufacturer of the kit did a really good job on everything, including on the visuals:

Name:  TTatTass1.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  100.8 KB

Here's the poor low compression engine waiting idle (figuratively, literally it's not even idling):

Name:  EngineWaiting.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  157.8 KB
Old 12-30-2012, 01:57 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i can't explain how my engine could go from spitting out a gallon of coolant through the tailpipe in 3 minutes to going 20 k miles with zero problems, and no coolant in the oil from just 1 60 dollar bottle of headgasket sealer..... and no latent problems with the cooling system.

anyone with a blown headgasket should get to 100 percent water and pour in a bottle of Blue Devil or Bars Leaks.... as at least my example shows how well the n/a engines take to head gasket sealer.

can't wait til someone tries this with a 944T motor.

i just put 8 k miles on the M1 0w50 with only 1 quart of oil loss [leakage ?]

so, whoever ends up purchasing my engine is getting a hell of a deal for pennies.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:25 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Geez V8's and M1 in the same thread OD. You must be in 7th heaven...
Old 12-31-2012, 03:02 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

indeed.

with the variocam coming out of the car as early as the end of the week..... finally.

gonna be weird trying to find high zddp 5w-30 oil for the 6.4 liter.....

Last edited by odurandina; 12-31-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Head gasket questions from the other side