Pic request: 968TRS wing in neutral position

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lorax
This is an ignorant statement...
Said with such confidence, I guess you must be right.

Regards,
Chris
Old 05-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kit_Chris
Said with such confidence, I guess you must be right.

Regards,
Chris
Ok that was kinda funny.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:58 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
If you like street driving with a wing, just get a Honda and be done with it.
I guess you can line up with all the ricer honda boys then. I've got a TRS carbon adjustable wing going on my car shortly.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:35 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 661 Likes on 514 Posts

the wing will be effective at the speeds i drive

i dont need it adjustable because im not going to track this car regularly (if ever) and dont need superior downforce to corner etc.

but i would like something that is designed to keep the back of my car a little better planted when i get to the last third of the speedo.

san diego average freeway speed is 85 and i usually cruise around 100 with no issues. but on regular roads when it gets twisty i would like to have the extra bit of force pushing my tires into the road

however that guy is right there is a major difference between a spoiler and a wing. a spoiler basically tries to minimize lift on the car and generally smooth airflow, whereas a wing is designed to create negative lift (downforce) to push the car into the road. no matter how fast you go your rubber tail will not give you any downforce.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
the wing will be effective at the speeds i drive

i dont need it adjustable because im not going to track this car regularly (if ever) and dont need superior downforce to corner etc.

but i would like something that is designed to keep the back of my car a little better planted when i get to the last third of the speedo.

san diego average freeway speed is 85 and i usually cruise around 100 with no issues. but on regular roads when it gets twisty i would like to have the extra bit of force pushing my tires into the road
I still think you would want the adjustable, even though it's uber pricey.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

dont need the adjustability, the neutral position will already be more effective than the rubber spoiler. there is nothing effectively wrong with the rubber spoiler but primarily i dont like the way it looks compared to a TRS. and i dont particularly like the way a TRS looks in the full up position.

price is also a huge factor.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
dont need the adjustability, the neutral position will already be more effective than the rubber spoiler. there is nothing effectively wrong with the rubber spoiler but primarily i dont like the way it looks compared to a TRS. and i dont particularly like the way a TRS looks in the full up position.

price is also a huge factor.
It might be better... but the adjustability is where the TRS spoiler really comes into play aerodynamically. It really does act like more of a spoiler than a wing when adjusted. It's a nice big lever.

I understand though. I had to put this off again because it's just so cost prohibitive.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:00 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I love the adjustable TRS on certain cars, I dislike any fixed taller wing Ive seen (save for track/race cars). Just looks out of place IMHO...but its not my money

Id like a TRS that I could swap on here and there but I doubt Id leave it on all the time, its definitely a "loud" piece...we'll see.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:21 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

I find it amusing, the amount of armchair engineering that goes on in forums. For MOST intents and purposes, there is only marginal difference between a spoiler and a wing -- and that difference only becomes evident at high speeds -- i.e., FASTER than freeway speeds. At street speeds, there is NO difference whatsoever.

Mark944, your initial attack at those of us who are partial to this style of wing was both unwarranted and completely unnecessary. Please, believe me when I say that in no way is my life changed due to your "input", and I honestly couldn't give a rat's *** if you do or do not like the look of a TRS wing.

Despite our individual differences of opinion, we all have one thing in common: we drive 944's. If we didn't care about styling and only cared about performance, we would be driving Subarus. But, face it: these cars are sexy. And, to many of us, the sex appeal only increases with the addition of a TRS wing.

So Mark, if you don't like the look (regardless of the rationale -- even if it is due to a false definition of the word "rice"), don't put a TRS wing on your car. But please don't belittle those of us who do prefer the look.

And Spencer -- for what it's worth, you won't actually see any difference in plantedness with the TRS wing vs. the stock spoiler at highway speeds. I will not discount the wing's ability to produce downforce, but it is not significant enough for your to detect it when traveling in a straight line at 100 mph. Furthermore, this is a Porsche for Christ's sake -- if your car's rear end feels twitchy at highway speeds, there's something wrong with your suspension.

I need a drink.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
I find it amusing, the amount of armchair engineering that goes on in forums. For MOST intents and purposes, there is only marginal difference between a spoiler and a wing -- and that difference only becomes evident at high speeds -- i.e., FASTER than freeway speeds. At street speeds, there is NO difference whatsoever.
Yep. And any one item doesn't necessarily adhere to either principal. The TRS wing has characteristics of both, as do most designs.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:32 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
And Spencer -- for what it's worth, you won't actually see any difference in plantedness with the TRS wing vs. the stock spoiler at highway speeds. I will not discount the wing's ability to produce downforce, but it is not significant enough for your to detect it when traveling in a straight line at 100 mph. Furthermore, this is a Porsche for Christ's sake -- if your car's rear end feels twitchy at highway speeds, there's something wrong with your suspension.
very well put. i understand it wont be doing super huge in the downforce department but i would at least imagine that it would work a little better in reducing potential lift.

however if it has only a negligible effect then i suppose it would just be for aesthetics. i do like the regular "bridge" spoiler but the TRS is a bit niftier.

although when i take a 90* street corner at 60+mph it would be nice to have a little more planting lol

Quick Reply: Pic request: 968TRS wing in neutral position