Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wash, sand, polish, sand some more, polish, wax

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:57 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wash, sand, polish, sand some more, polish, wax

Had to wetsand a second time to get rid of a few bruises I missed the first go around.. but happy for now, too many bruises on her to fix with a full respray..

As purchased...paint was thrashed by neglect and PO burning the crap out of it with rubbing compound and an orbital buffer...

1st wetsand pass

1st polish

Finished up this morning, no more until resparay, too many thin spots in the paint...
Old 05-11-2009, 11:54 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

what grit did you use? looks fabulous i may have to do this soon
Old 05-11-2009, 12:31 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Half way across the country, you and I were probably doing the same thing at probably the same time
Old 05-11-2009, 02:37 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very nice - I have the same color - I probably just need someone with some skillz on the buffer to get out the orange peel but paint is in good shape. I have a couple spots all the way down to the primer where the PO burned the hell out of the paint. I also have a couple spots where the old stone guards used to be that he pulled off - looks like he used a scraper in a few spots to get them off and then touch up paint to fill it back in. So, it's a different color but you have to get close to see it.

What's the process in getting a re-spray? Do they sand it down to smooth out rough spots and etch the paint up a bit to get the new spray to stick?

I'd love to get this done - didn't know it was possible to just re-spray the exterior.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:01 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HOLY ****... That's all I can say. I mean. Dude, that looks great! I'm sure there are imperfections that you'd see up close (given the condition it was kept in by the PO), but damn, you did a fine clean-up job there! I makes me wanna bust out the buffer and get rid of my orange-peel respray job on the hood of my car!

KUDOS
Old 05-11-2009, 04:38 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
what grit did you use? looks fabulous i may have to do this soon
I used 2000, but probably should have started with 1500, had to go over with 2K again

Originally Posted by blown 944
Half way across the country, you and I were probably doing the same thing at probably the same time
Fun, isn't it, I managed to get completely done in about 5 hours total... not too bad.

Originally Posted by choinga
very nice - I have the same color - I probably just need someone with some skillz on the buffer to get out the orange peel but paint is in good shape. I have a couple spots all the way down to the primer where the PO burned the hell out of the paint. I also have a couple spots where the old stone guards used to be that he pulled off - looks like he used a scraper in a few spots to get them off and then touch up paint to fill it back in. So, it's a different color but you have to get close to see it.

What's the process in getting a re-spray? Do they sand it down to smooth out rough spots and etch the paint up a bit to get the new spray to stick?

I'd love to get this done - didn't know it was possible to just re-spray the exterior.
Orange peel with a buffer, Oh my achin back, much easier with wetsanding, but then need to buff out the scratches.. you could always wetsand and polish by hand... more work but not impossible... think Excellence survivor story this month, original paint wetsanded and hand polished... looked beautiful

Sure you can re-spray the exterior... Earl Schive..$99.95... MAACO is much more widely known though... the end paint job is dependent on prep, prep, and more prep... the prep before will help with a better end product, sand the old paint on the entire car, spray, treat just like a metal out paint job... much less work than a bare car, much easier to spray the same color...

Originally Posted by 944obscene
HOLY ****... That's all I can say. I mean. Dude, that looks great! I'm sure there are imperfections that you'd see up close (given the condition it was kept in by the PO), but damn, you did a fine clean-up job there! I makes me wanna bust out the buffer and get rid of my orange-peel respray job on the hood of my car!

KUDOS
Thank You, it was a bunch of work, but I am happy with the end product... now all I can see are the off color headlights (both almost all the way through the paint, primer is almost noticeable on the entire light) and all the rock chips, burnt spots, etc, etc, etc, but this exercise almost make me think I could make a MAACO job look decent... only $199... but in the end you get what you pay for, and they WON'T do any prep for that, it is only sprayed...

NEXT... clear lenses front and sides..LED bulbs... RIMS-N-TIRES (repainting the twists I've had for almost 6 months but have yet to mount)
Old 05-12-2009, 01:25 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

AWESOME!!! Hey, I am in DC, wanna do my ca???? lol

Yea, I know only a little about paint and body but do know it is all PREP!!!!
Old 05-12-2009, 02:47 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Looks Great! I recently clayed, buffed, and waxed, but in reality I really do need to wetsand it. It's on the to-do list before the car goes into storage...
Old 05-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood

Sure you can re-spray the exterior... Earl Schive..$99.95... MAACO is much more widely known though... the end paint job is dependent on prep, prep, and more prep... the prep before will help with a better end product, sand the old paint on the entire car, spray, treat just like a metal out paint job... much less work than a bare car, much easier to spray the same color...

Thank You, it was a bunch of work, but I am happy with the end product... now all I can see are the off color headlights (both almost all the way through the paint, primer is almost noticeable on the entire light) and all the rock chips, burnt spots, etc, etc, etc, but this exercise almost make me think I could make a MAACO job look decent... only $199... but in the end you get what you pay for, and they WON'T do any prep for that, it is only sprayed...
Just for the record, maaco and earl scheib paintjobs use very poor quality paint for their cheap jobs. The difference is not only in the prep it is in the materials as well. The materials I use cost me more than you would pay for one of those cheap jobs. Btw, those cheap jobs have gone up a bit in the last few years. Also, I would not recommend trying to colorsand and buff a cheap singlestage job...recipe for disaster. I would rather see you guys diy with decent products. Also sanding/buffing oem paint this old will only get you so far, a re-paint will soon be in order.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:40 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, begs the question - what products did you use? I've tried a bunch of nice stuff and can't seem to get those scratches, swirls and orange peel out. Maybe I'm not digging in enough with a pad that's cutting? I'm using the 'yellow' pad with my polish...maybe I should move to the 'orange' with more aggressive polish?

I have a guards red as well and when you get up to it you can really see what's going on. It looks great from 10 feet away but when you get up close - especially with direct sun - you can really see the damage (my hood looks like your 'before' even after I buffed it out with some Klasse polish last weekend).

So, do tell - what's your process/product?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:45 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3M Finessit II is what I like. First with wool, then with lamb, then sponge finished off with a hand glaze. I think it is Meguires #7
Old 05-12-2009, 04:21 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by choinga
So, begs the question - what products did you use? I've tried a bunch of nice stuff and can't seem to get those scratches, swirls and orange peel out. Maybe I'm not digging in enough with a pad that's cutting? I'm using the 'yellow' pad with my polish...maybe I should move to the 'orange' with more aggressive polish?

I have a guards red as well and when you get up to it you can really see what's going on. It looks great from 10 feet away but when you get up close - especially with direct sun - you can really see the damage (my hood looks like your 'before' even after I buffed it out with some Klasse polish last weekend).

So, do tell - what's your process/product?
I use 3M polishes, with foam pads all the way... I need new ones now, I had previously polished the entire car, but wasn't happy, so I went MidEvil with 2000 Grit wetsand, twice to get all the bad stuff off (wasn't completely happy with the first pass...), then 3M Finesse-It II, followed by Zymol wax (goes on easy, comes off just as easy, but leaves a "wet" look...

Car still looks good today, but I did spot a few light scratches in the middle of the hood, but I'm not messing with them as my paint is done and the entire car will benefit from the eventual re-spray...
Old 05-12-2009, 04:26 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Burma Shave
Just for the record, maaco and earl scheib paintjobs use very poor quality paint for their cheap jobs. The difference is not only in the prep it is in the materials as well. The materials I use cost me more than you would pay for one of those cheap jobs. Btw, those cheap jobs have gone up a bit in the last few years. Also, I would not recommend trying to colorsand and buff a cheap singlestage job...recipe for disaster. I would rather see you guys diy with decent products. Also sanding/buffing oem paint this old will only get you so far, a re-paint will soon be in order.
Trust me when I say, Neither MaaCo nor Earl will EVER spray one of my cars, I was using them to make a point, which apparently wasn't lost on you... I would expect to put down roughly $1500 for a "decent" spray, 3-5 for a good one, more if you are aiming for Concourse... BUT many concourse cars I am sure have been done by a loving owner in their garage, but I doubt ever with a roller...
Old 05-12-2009, 04:34 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Here's some right in front of the car full sun shots I took a few minutes ago, some fine scratches, but still 1000% better than "before",
BTW can you tell I rattle canned the header panel? She has stone chips galore, and thin paint in more than her fair share of spots..

Old 05-12-2009, 05:51 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

That's look great... I woudl like to do it, but.... too scared to ruin the paint (even though it is pretty poor right now.

Quick Reply: Wash, sand, polish, sand some more, polish, wax