Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sunroof not locking

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 01:09 AM
dlr944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunroof not locking

I am able to remove the sunroof from the car. However when the key is turned to "ON" or "RUN" with the sunroof re-installed in the car, the rear lifters do not fully engage or lock the sun roof in place. The lifters move just a small amount but not enough to engage the sunroof. Thoughts?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:45 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

micro switches... check Clarks Garage for adjustment procedure... to get it to lock in you CAN start the car, this changes the behavior of the micros, you should be able to lift roof as if opening and stop when the mechanism is engaged in the panel...
Old 04-30-2009, 10:43 AM
dlr944
Racer

I have read through Clark's 944 garage write-up. Unfortunately, I did not find any information for adjusting the micro switches such that the lifters lock the sunroof in place once the key is turned to the "ON" position. Again the lifters do move from the unlocked position, with the key, but not enough to engage/lock the sunroof.

So any thought on exactly how you adjust the lifters from the unlocked position to fully lock the sunroof once the key is turned to "ON"? Mine only move a slight amount.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:06 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

There's no adjustment to the lifter arms. The micro switches aren't allowing the motor to move them. There are three micro switches that should be checked - one in the front middle sunroof opening that tells the system that the sunroof is in, and two on the actuator in the back that tell the system the position of the lifting arms.

It would help to know what year too. I just had this issue on my '87 where the arms moved up and down about 1/4", but no more. One of the micro switches in the back had come loose and was out of adjustment.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:42 PM
adrian1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtP
There's no adjustment to the lifter arms. The micro switches aren't allowing the motor to move them. There are three micro switches that should be checked - one in the front middle sunroof opening that tells the system that the sunroof is in, and two on the actuator in the back that tell the system the position of the lifting arms.

It would help to know what year too. I just had this issue on my '87 where the arms moved up and down about 1/4", but no more. One of the micro switches in the back had come loose and was out of adjustment.
I have the same problem right now on my 87. The sunroof is not locked properly and when I press the button to go up it moves op only 1/2 inch. I got to look into that.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:08 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

According to a writeup at Pelican Parts, the roof close limit (switch I) and lifting arm retraction limit (switch II) must both be closed to move the lifting arms from "retracted" to "roof closed" with the ignition in the accessory position.

I think Clark's Garage says if this doesn't work you may be able to run the arms all the way from "retracted" to the roof open limit (switch III), then back to "roof closed" with ignition switch in the on position.

Another possibility (oh joy) is that the teeth are stripped on the gears that drive the lifting arms.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:33 PM
dlr944
Racer

My issue is a little different in the since that the lifting arms don't move enough during the automatic locking of the sunroof.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:40 AM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I printed copies of the two pages of PET that show the sunroof and its parts and read through the writeups on Clark's Garage and Pelican Parts, marking the diagrams along the way, to try to visualize what is doing what when. I found neither writeup was complete, you need both, and even then I had to see the pictures to understand. Also, I have not actually worked on any of these parts; I was just trying to figure out how they work in preparation for installing my my newly acquired Saratoga roof. In any case, this approach might be even more helpful to you since you are trying to solve a specific problem. What a prickly design!
Old 05-02-2009, 03:49 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't turn the key to on. Turn it only to the very first click. Then press the botton forward.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:31 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

e is correct - key at first click to remove/install sunroof, key at second click to raise/lower sunroof.

This is the first thing I had to go thru when I bought my car (no fun realizing the sunroof is lifting when you're at speed). There are 2 different designs, early & late, if I remember correctly. In my case it was a case of both gears missing teeth and the cable assy in the rear had come apart (which couldn't be repaired).
Old 07-14-2009, 09:20 PM
ianhoc
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1988 944 Turbo, 44,000 miles.
My problem is a little different: with key in first position I get nothing out of the sunroof switch.
With key in On, the roof goes up and down like a champ, but I can never get to 'Unlocked' position.
If I loosen the microswitches (1 & 2) the sunroof will go all the way to unlocked everytime (teeth/mechanism are good).
Here is what I've tried. New console switch, new roof relay (under hood), swapped around Micros 1 & 2, swapped around the 2 lift motor relays (in trunk).
Micro for 'roof installed' seems okay with my crude finger/switch test.
No joy - anyone got more suggestions? it seems like it is tied to the 'Accessory' position of the key.
I have learned more about the sunroof operations than I really wanted to over the last 2 months!

Thanks
Ian

Last edited by ianhoc; 07-14-2009 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Sunroof not locking