Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone using AEM Tru-Boost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:43 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using AEM Tru-Boost?

I'm having spool up issues and can't resolve it.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:08 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Do you mean that you have it working but the turbo doesn't spool as quick as you would like or it doesn't control the boost at the set point?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:51 AM
daigo
Burning Brakes

I'm running the VR stage 3, and I'm not hitting 1 bar until 4200 rpm. Most users are getting full boost at 3200. I've checked the exhaust as best as I can and it appears to be the EBC thats the problem.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:30 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Double check the lines to the solenoid to make sure they are going in the right direction. I believe there is an arrow. Make sure you have the correct lines going to the wastegate. I am assuming you have a dual port wastegate.

I have the tru boost and spool up doesn't seem to be an issue. double check all the lines.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:53 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daigo
I'm running the VR stage 3, and I'm not hitting 1 bar until 4200 rpm. Most users are getting full boost at 3200. I've checked the exhaust as best as I can and it appears to be the EBC thats the problem.
I am now having the same problem as you. I've checked all my lines. Everything looks fine. My lindsey wastegate has either gone bad or my MBC isn't working correctly. I checked my crossover pipe for cracks and I just don't see anything.

Kinda stinks because im used to seeing full boost at 3k rpms. Now I don't see full boost until more like 4.5k-5k and my peak boost isn't holding right. Its what makes me think the MBC has failed somehow. I've just never heard of that. So even though the wastegate is hooked up properly maybe the acuator has failed or something??
Old 04-28-2009, 04:34 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

daigo, I would try a manual boost controller to see if it makes a difference. Your EBC may not be the cause, a collapsed pipe, leaky exhaust or a damaged WG can all cause the problem.

porshhhh951, since you have the V-FLEX, have you considered the VR-EBC. It gives you great flexibility, PC tunable, all sort of adjustments and boost characteristics can be setup. Of course, the WG must be working properly!
Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
I am now having the same problem as you. I've checked all my lines. Everything looks fine. My lindsey wastegate has either gone bad or my MBC isn't working correctly. I checked my crossover pipe for cracks and I just don't see anything.

Kinda stinks because im used to seeing full boost at 3k rpms. Now I don't see full boost until more like 4.5k-5k and my peak boost isn't holding right. Its what makes me think the MBC has failed somehow. I've just never heard of that. So even though the wastegate is hooked up properly maybe the actuator has failed or something??
Have you had the lines to the MBC off recently, or do you have a leak in the boost control lines that you didn't have? Try clamping off the boost controller and then while dragging the brake at 3000 see if you build boost by SLOWLY adding throttle. This can let you know if maybe your wastegate is stuck slightly open.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:41 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixed it!

Originally Posted by fast951
porshhhh951, since you have the V-FLEX, have you considered the VR-EBC. It gives you great flexibility, PC tunable, all sort of adjustments and boost characteristics can be setup. Of course, the WG must be working properly!
I would love to get a VR EBC. I didn't know you had them made and ready to ship yet? I'll email you
Originally Posted by dand86951
Have you had the lines to the MBC off recently, or do you have a leak in the boost control lines that you didn't have? Try clamping off the boost controller and then while dragging the brake at 3000 see if you build boost by SLOWLY adding throttle. This can let you know if maybe your wastegate is stuck slightly open.
Hey thats a neat trick! Turns out I did mess with the wires recently when I completely removed my center console to install my new black one. I went back over the lines today and then re adjusted the boost controller and wadda ya know. It works fine now.

I was making full boost about 3100rpms or so and holding a solid 15psi at redline. Its nice to have a quick car again
Old 05-03-2009, 01:05 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

I'm just curious what the other users have their (SPr) setting at?
Old 05-03-2009, 02:11 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm curious too. I'm running a LR Clubgate configured as dual-port and currently have the SPr at 5.0 and DC at 55. I'm getting a constant 13.5 PSI.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:41 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

But what rpm are you hitting full boost?
Old 05-04-2009, 03:26 PM
2bridges
Drifting

hey daigo - your SPr setting is Spring pressure - enter the wastegate spring pressure in psi
Old 05-04-2009, 04:40 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

I actually spoke to one of their support folks, he actually called me on friday. The (SPr) setting is actually the point at which the EBC will allow the WG valve to start opening. It apparently has nothing to do with the hard spring that is inside the WG. According to him this is a common misconception. I've been having problems with slow spool-up on what should be a very quick spooling system. I have no doubt it has nothing to do with the turbo itself.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:08 PM
2bridges
Drifting

vendor documentation (included with the EBC) states and I quote

"Spring Pressure: (SPr)
enter the wastegate spring pressure. The Tru Boost will keep the boost solenoid open from 1psi until boost exceeds the selected value. This value can be adjusted to reduce lead in boost spikes ar reduce spool up time. If the spring pressure is unknown, a conservative starting value of 5 is suggested"
Old 05-04-2009, 05:19 PM
2bridges
Drifting

I have a thought for you.
why not turn the EBC off, bypass the vacuum lines to ebc and test it with EBC out of the system.
I think you are hung up with the notion it is causing your issues, when there are many more components involved. This will help you isolate. good luck!

Quick Reply: Anyone using AEM Tru-Boost?