Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tires - What are the pros/cons of larger than stock for street?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:41 PM
ron.eddy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tires - What are the pros/cons of larger than stock for street?

This is not a tire suggestion question! I am instead wondering what the pros/cons are to using larger than stock tires on my 951, given my situation:

I drive street-only and have no intentions of racing my car, although someday I would like to do some sort of driver's education on a track for the fun of it. I see a lot of suggestions on here to use larger than stock tires on a 951, and I am just wondering what I would see, being a purely street driver, with the larger tires vs. the stock sizes. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

FYI, if I go stock, I am going with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires but if answers to this post sway me to using bigger tires I will have to find something else since they don't make bigger sizes on 16's.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I recommend 245 rear and 225 fronts for street driving. For serious track driving, I'd suggest 275 rear and 245 front - but you'll want bigger rims.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:47 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ron.eddy
This is not a tire suggestion question! I am instead wondering what the pros/cons are to using larger than stock tires on my 951, given my situation:

I drive street-only and have no intentions of racing my car, although someday I would like to do some sort of driver's education on a track for the fun of it. I see a lot of suggestions on here to use larger than stock tires on a 951, and I am just wondering what I would see, being a purely street driver, with the larger tires vs. the stock sizes. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

FYI, if I go stock, I am going with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires but if answers to this post sway me to using bigger tires I will have to find something else since they don't make bigger sizes on 16's.

Thanks in advance!
Do you mean bigger as in wider, or bigger as in larger rim? Or both? or taller?

Wider will provide greater grip AND greater rolling resistance, better cornering but at cost of 0-60 seconds (or parts thereof)
Larger rim gives you smaller sidewall, less spring moment, LITTLE bit harsher ride, but better handling characteristics (less tire twist when turning)
Taller, makes your speedometer off, but can increase fuel mileage, or decrease fuel mileage for shorter tires...
Tire width combos between front and rear (based on front to rear) can produce desirable (or undesirable) Understeer and or oversteer...

Lots of variables, lots of what you want to come out in the end product...
Old 04-13-2009, 10:55 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Definitely at the very least would put 245's out back and 225's in the front. There really is no reason not to at least do that. Get all the extra grip you can!
Old 04-13-2009, 10:55 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Pros:
-better offline acceleration due to less slip
-better traction between hi-rev shifts
-better handling-cornering and highway
-improved "stability"
-more Ultra high performance tire choices/brands (w 18" wheels)

The Cons:
-potential fitment issues (possible use of spacers, rolling fenderwell, etc...if large enough)
-slight road noise increase (I did not notice any when switching to a larger Nitto iNVO)
-increased cost
-slight negative fuel mileage impact (based on increased overall diameter ratio to current)
-increased brake wear (for larger wheel/tire combo)

IMO...the pros definitely outweigh the cons. Keep in mind that some of the Cons I listed are dependent on how much you increase tire size.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:57 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CPR
The Pros:
-better offline acceleration due to less slip
-better traction between hi-rev shifts
-better handling-cornering and highway
-improved "stability"
-more Ultra high performance tire choices/brands (w 18" wheels)

The Cons:
-potential fitment issues (possible use of spacers, rolling fenderwell, etc...if large enough)
-slight road noise increase (I did not notice any when switching to a larger Nitto iNVO)
-increased cost
-slight negative fuel mileage impact (based on increased overall diameter ratio to current)
-increased brake wear (for larger wheel/tire combo)

IMO...the pros definitely outweigh the cons. Keep in mind that some of the Cons I listed are dependent on how much you increase tire size.
Sorry for the OT, but Patrick I just fell in love... What should I call my next ex wife?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:10 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Sorry for the OT, but Patrick I just fell in love... What should I call my next ex wife?
Mrs. Patrick
Old 04-13-2009, 11:13 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CPR
Mrs. Patrick
MMMMM My foot tastes good...
Old 04-13-2009, 11:15 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
MMMMM My foot tastes good...

your alright
Old 04-13-2009, 11:18 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CPR
Mrs. Patrick
Hmm... you being the trickster you are... im gonna guess that's a picture of Danica Patrick... altho you could still be married to that fine ***, but I'm sure she wears the pants in that relationship!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:45 PM
ron.eddy
Advanced

For clarification, I am planning on keeping my 16" wheels at least for this tire cycle, so by bigger I meant wider. Thanks for the responses! It seems the wider rubber has more pros than cons, so I will probably go for the wider tires. One other question though, why did Porsche put the tires they did on it if wider ones work better and still fit fine? I assume in 1986 they didn't have the kind of tire selection we have today? Or what?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:06 AM
ron.eddy
Advanced

Wow, after scanning my options I am realizing 16" performance tires are dying out... Clearly I should upgrade to at least 17" but I just can't justify it at this point, maybe some day... With that said, seems I have two options:

Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 (The ONLY tires I can find in this size)
Front: 225/50R16
Rear: 245/45R16

or

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (arguably the best rated tires in this size)
Front: 205/55R16
Rear: 225/50R16

So now my question becomes: is it better to get superior tires in a narrower size (Dunlop) or inferior tires in a wider size (Hankook)? Whats your opinions?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:08 AM
CPR
Race Director

Superior narrow...less roll in the corners.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:10 AM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by bigdeano
Hmm... you being the trickster you are... im gonna guess that's a picture of Danica Patrick... altho you could still be married to that fine ***, but I'm sure she wears the pants in that relationship!

No, no...not danica

And as you can see she wears no pants at all

and as long as I control the credit cards (read shopping sprees) I WEAR the pants...I think
Old 04-14-2009, 12:12 AM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

Dunlops! I have had both in and the dunlops lasted much longer and were an incredible street/autoX tire. Great grip, not noisy, and I got good milage out of them before worn out. Performed great all the way past the wear bar.

Just noticed yours are the 16' mine were 17's and the sizes were 255 and 225 but the tire was still great

Quick Reply: Tires - What are the pros/cons of larger than stock for street?