Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Q's about rebuilding power steering rack.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009 | 08:18 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q's about rebuilding power steering rack.

Just a few quick questions.

Is this the kit I need to buy to reseal the rack on a 951? http://www.rennbay.com/rack-944-powe...d9c2b0f591d792

Is rennbay the best place to get this kit or are there other places which will be cheaper? I'm getting two, one for each car because both need it.

TIA guys!
Old 04-07-2009 | 08:24 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigdeano
Just a few quick questions.

Is this the kit I need to buy to reseal the rack on a 951? http://www.rennbay.com/rack-944-powe...d9c2b0f591d792

Is rennbay the best place to get this kit or are there other places which will be cheaper? I'm getting two, one for each car because both need it.

TIA guys!
That will do it, just be sure to allow enough time to do it right, and damage anything trying to put it back together in a hurry... Good luck, I did mine a few weeks back and enjoyed it thoroughly until my radiator hose burst...
Old 04-07-2009 | 08:36 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

Thanks John! I figured that was the right one, just wanted to make sure. I'm going home this weekend for easter so I'm going to pull the rack on the red car, rebuild it next week, swap it into the white one, and rebuild that rack, then put it into the red one. Kind of assbackwards but since the red one is sitting til we pull the fenders out (also planning on doing that next weekend) it makes sense. I know to keep a sterile work environment and take my time and be patient. Good thing I've had 4 exams in the past 2 weeks so I won't have anything keeping me up late studying! haha
Old 04-07-2009 | 09:17 PM
hodmandod
Advanced

I would echo what John said. Be very careful about the parts, and keeping everything clean. It is an easy task, but also easy to go wrong. You will need a wheel alignment when done, as the tie rod ends can never be fitted accurately.

Philip
Old 04-07-2009 | 10:50 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

Need a wheel alignment anyways plus I'll be swapping over my rebuilt control arms as well. My alignment will be all sorts of messed up haha
Old 04-07-2009 | 11:18 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

another question about the rack rebuild, do you need any special tools to do it?

i would of buy the reseal kit and do it myself....
Old 04-08-2009 | 12:05 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Paseb
another question about the rack rebuild, do you need any special tools to do it?

i would of buy the reseal kit and do it myself....
Only special tool NEEDED is one that comes in handy, and can't be bought....patience.... lots and lots of patience.... to keep from launching a part accross whatever space you do the rebuild in when trying to figure out how to get the last couple of scraper seals out of the housings... hang in there, take a breather when needed, and don't just decide "I don't really need to replace those" it can be done, just use your head, and think before acting...

Oh, and a hardened steel scribe (one end straight, one end 90 degree from straight) will come in handy, as will a hooked one, but the hooked one is not required...

I also did my PS pump at the same time, pump I would rate about a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10, Rack I would rate an 8 simply because of the number of pieces you will spend time figuring out where they are (like the last couple of scraper seals (one is in the bottom of the valve body on the rack, the other is in the sleeve you will remove... you WILL know what I am talking about when you take it apart)) just be patient.. and if you need a different tool, and can't find it in your box... wait and go out and get it, trust me, DO NOT go through the trouble of taking it apart to not take your time and put it back together correctly... all in all it is really a very simple job to do, the seals and their locations make it a pain...
Old 04-08-2009 | 12:13 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bigdeano
Thanks John! I figured that was the right one, just wanted to make sure. I'm going home this weekend for easter so I'm going to pull the rack on the red car, rebuild it next week, swap it into the white one, and rebuild that rack, then put it into the red one. Kind of assbackwards but since the red one is sitting til we pull the fenders out (also planning on doing that next weekend) it makes sense. I know to keep a sterile work environment and take my time and be patient. Good thing I've had 4 exams in the past 2 weeks so I won't have anything keeping me up late studying! haha
not really bass ackwards... I buy 1 new part and 1 rebuild kit, stick new on whichever car needs it the worst, rebuild what I just took off, and put it on the other car... That way I always have a rebuildable part for the job if it ever comes up again, hence I currently have (but will soon be selling off) 2 water pump CORES mines all mines, bat wing, gone are most of my old parts as when I pulled the old one off the second car it was pretty well trashed, or ends up getting sold off to our list community...BUT I will be calling a popular vendor soon, as they have already asked me for my water pump cores (I installed 2 NEW pumps during my last months TB-WP change madness, and right now BOTH cars are down...damn it, but parts are inbound for the Turbo...and then it is on to the N/A engine noise diagnosis...never enough time in a day)
Old 04-08-2009 | 01:47 PM
tone3721
Drifting

Received 440 Likes on 318 Posts

I used a dental pick, and needle nose vise grips. Just be careful not to score anything, when your in there. I remember one seal IIRC it was where the pinion meets the rack. Youll see it, and it will click(youll know what im talking about) when your in there, be careful with that one, its a pain. The rest were easy IIRC. The rack I did im still using over a year now. Not many miles tho.

Quick Reply: Q's about rebuilding power steering rack.