Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

turbo trans with n/a r&p meets +330tq at the wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

N/A ring & pinion installed in a turbo trans or full N/A trans? N/A or S R/P? I didnt think the N/A R/P could be installed in the turbo/S/S2 transmission cases as the pinion bearings are smaller (?) - can the Turbo pinion bearings be installed on the N/A pinion?

In your pics - where is the rest of the front bearing (did the cage get ripped apart on disassembly?

Also, how much track driving did you do with the car since '88? I am amazed that the R/P lasted that long. Even the S R/Ps were only lasting a reported 10k miles or less on stock turbos when autocrossed or tracked.
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2009, 01:28 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
N/A ring & pinion installed in a turbo trans or full N/A trans? N/A or S R/P? I didnt think the N/A R/P could be installed in the turbo/S/S2 transmission cases as the pinion bearings are smaller (?) - can the Turbo pinion bearings be installed on the N/A pinion?

In your pics - where is the rest of the front bearing (did the cage get ripped apart on disassembly?

Also, how much track driving did you do with the car since '88? I am amazed that the R/P lasted that long. Even the S R/Ps were only lasting a reported 10k miles or less on stock turbos when autocrossed or tracked.
n/a r&p installed in a turbo trans correct. Turbo running on n/a trans would be ripped to shreds quickly I would imagine... I also have factory LSD and oil cooler not an option for n/a

I did not do either rebuild my self so I don't have pics or complete knowledge of the process

During the current rebuild all the bearings were changed, syncros 1 and 2 were changed they weren't half bad, differential bearing changed and new shims and S2 r&p. The ring wasn't even terrible either it still had all of its teeth intact and with some minor gouging on the inner bearing teeth walls nothing to write home about

The car has 92 miles and was DE tracked from 87-95 then nothing till 2008. Couldn't afford to fix it up enough to pass tech inspection from 99-05. Been rebuilding something every winter since 2005. 2005-2008 something big enough was always failing on me and customs mods never install easy, quick or cheap...

Last edited by jasonlp; 04-02-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:13 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob

your right Jim,
the early NA C&P wont fit in a turbo trans, maybe he has a S like i did for a few years. the S is NA after all.
i should have listened to you before we did our S change but unfortunately i didnt visit rennlist when i did the change. that being said they are a lot stronger then people give them credit for, but cannot be compared to the S2 C&P.
i did over 2 years of track days thats 12 full track days and 12 motokhanas, plus 3 drag racing days and 50,000+ kms. the whole second season was with a vitesse stage 3.
to tell you the truth i am not sure that even the S2 C&P could have handled the punishment that caused the S to break in our trans. i would not do this again but in search for faster times at the drag track i had 275/40.17 Rspec tyres and launched the car at 5000rpm it worked twice then it went bang not surprisingly.
All this being said and since changing to the S2 C&P we have had Zero issues.

Quick Reply: turbo trans with n/a r&p meets +330tq at the wheels