Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can we talk Nakamichi CD500?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:15 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can we talk Nakamichi CD500?

I want to pull the trigger on this expensive headunit. Right now i have a 90's panasonic headunit with a broken LCD but it is AMBER in color! i'd like something that looks OEM, has good sound quality, mp3, works good and is AMBER. I'm falling in love with this unit, want the rennlist perspective before i buy a new one. i was looking Kenwood and JVC because you can select colors, and have lot's of features --- but the Nakamichi CD500 looks like it belongs in a Porsche.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:22 AM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

I really like nakamichi as a head unit. Eventually(its least on the priority list) I plan on putting a nakamichi head in. What are you using for an amp, speakers, etc? Ill be putting in as much mcintosh as possible. www.mcintoshlabs.com Im curious how mcintosh speakers are these days. May go with different make on speakers. Dunno.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:22 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Take a look at this thread for a good discussion of the NAK and other options ....

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...endations.html
Old 03-27-2009, 02:39 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Take a look at this thread for a good discussion of the NAK and other options ....

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...endations.html
Perfect thread. Thanks. Still torn though. Nak is perfect --- no support. Kenwood good for price - has colours to match - Alpine 9887 has features and support .. no AMBER colour, just red as a close match.. NAK looks the best, has the features I care about but is expensive --- but afraid it will break down.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:41 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

JVC has lot's of colours, features - front USB --- supposed to sound good and is really cheap -- but the physical attributes don't match the NAK. Support is good.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:35 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i had a nakamichi in one of my old supras and that thing was awsome but it skipped like crazy if you had a cd in on a rough road.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:11 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is my Nak set up. Flawless performance and looks stock. As a side note, I'm looking to upgrade in the next year so I'll be selling it then.
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2009, 07:38 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PIONEER avic-f90bt.

Touch screen, DVD/CD/MP3/USB/IPOD/AVI/REARCAM/NAVI/BLUETOOTH/HANDSFREE/VOICECOMMAND/REMOTE/GPS/PS3-360in

Pretty much everything. I was surprised how updated this unit made the interior look with its' 7" screen.

You can also plug in any gauges/laptop...whatever, that has an av out and see it on the screen

$1300, I love it...but then again I am a gadget *****
Old 03-27-2009, 08:06 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

I gdt a CD-400 because I have a satellite radio wired into the AUX input and don't care about playing MP3's. CD's and satellite sound great, and it looks great, but has the worst FM receiver I have ever seen. Worse than any stock stereo out there. You can't go wrong with the Alpine if you like the looks.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CPR do you have any pictures of you sound system?

BTW I found CPR's super radio pretty cheap, but I've never bought from this place.
http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...ier+AVIC-F90BT
Old 03-27-2009, 08:34 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I was looking at the Nakamichi radios when I was looking for a HU last year. Between no customer support and longevity issues, I looked elsewhere. I could not find another aftermarket HU that I liked - everything from the usual suspects were all made in China, too many tiny buttons, displays that were too busy and looked way out of place in the car.

I ended up with a NOS Becker Traffic Pro. I'm happy with my decision, but I think I would have been equally as happy with a Nakamichi. Other than GPS, the thing that pushed me to Becker was better reliability and the customer support from the guys up in NJ has been excellent so far. It's too bad that the new Becker GPS units aren't available in the US

If you like the Nakamichi, I say get it!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:58 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Alpine 9887 has features and support .. no AMBER colour, just red as a close match..
I have the 9884 and the red is not bad, but not great either. Fortunately I have all red LED interior so ti works. Ideally, I would go with amber.

BTW - the Alpine HUs are excellent, much better than the Pioneer I had before , which was very good too (no CPR, I did not spend $1,300 just $130 on it).
Old 03-29-2009, 06:03 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dougs951

BTW I found CPR's super radio pretty cheap, but I've never bought from this place.
Yes, i would like to see pictures of this unit installed. It does have a customizable color option too!
Old 03-29-2009, 06:35 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951

Looks like a refurb unit, and nothing wrong with that btw.
Doug...what do you want pics of? the 3 subs or the 14 component speakers or the 3 amps or the Kinetics BatCap or the complete dynomatting or the custom enclosure or the HU/GPS module/remote MIC/Sirius mosule install or the 315' of cabling or....all of it ?

And congrats on the MEI awards, that is a hard thing to win down here, as I am sure it is in MD....you've been holding out on us

Originally Posted by sebastian944
Yes, i would like to see pictures of this unit installed. It does have a customizable color option too!
Sebas,
I will have my car back Thursday (I think) getting new 30mm T-Bars installed. I can take pics of the unit for you if you like. Also, the custom color option is sweeeet. It is not just picking from say...4 or 5 pre-set colors. The color pattern flows from one end of the spectrum to the other...you just stop it on the shade you prefer. It states somewhere that there are over 80 colors available between the start and finish points. I choose the exact match to my OEM dash lights.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:44 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
Looks like a refurb unit, and nothing wrong with that btw.
Doug...what do you want pics of? the 3 subs or the 14 component speakers or the 3 amps or the Kinetics BatCap or the complete dynomatting or the custom enclosure or the HU/GPS module/remote MIC/Sirius mosule install or the 315' of cabling or....all of it ?

And congrats on the MEI awards, that is a hard thing to win down here, as I am sure it is in MD....you've been holding out on us

Sebas,
I will have my car back Thursday (I think) getting new 30mm T-Bars installed. I can take pics of the unit for you if you like. Also, the custom color option is sweeeet. It is not just picking from say...4 or 5 pre-set colors. The color pattern flows from one end of the spectrum to the other...you just stop it on the shade you prefer. It states somewhere that there are over 80 colors available between the start and finish points. I choose the exact match to my OEM dash lights.
Cool. While your there, can you take a pic of the 12" sub enclosure in the hatch?

Quick Reply: Can we talk Nakamichi CD500?