Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can we talk Nakamichi CD500?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 07:17 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

... the 3 subs or the 14 component speakers or the 3 amps or the Kinetics BatCap or the complete dynomatting or the custom enclosure or the HU/GPS module/remote MIC/Sirius mosule install or the 315' of cabling or....all of it ?
You are clearly not in category of guys who are concerned about vehicle weight and the impact on performance

While I like the sound of my Alpine HU with Infinity coaxial speaker and low profile subwoofer, I am hesitant to even get in your car as I would likely be blown away.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:18 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sebastian944
Cool. While your there, can you take a pic of the 12" sub enclosure in the hatch?
What is in there now is a custom fiberglass enclosure housing 3, L7-SoloBarics...10" not 12".
Old 03-29-2009, 07:21 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
You are clearly not in category of guys who are concerned about vehicle weight and the impact on performance

While I like the sound of my Alpine HU with Infinity coaxial speaker and low profile subwoofer, I am hesitant to even get in your car as I would likely be blown away.
Nope.

For every bit of weight I add to the car, ala speakers....I simply increase the HP accordingly

I just love my music...clear, crisp highs and mids with bone jarring bass...keeps me young
Old 03-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get the Alpine. I have the 9887 and i love it.

CPR: What amps do you like? Im looking for a 4-channel amp with around 75 watts RMS at 2ohms. I love the ALpine PDX series, digital classD four channel gives me the chills! But i dont have that kind of money to blow. What about the Alpine V-Power?
Old 03-29-2009, 09:09 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by Andy1212
Get the Alpine. I have the 9887 and i love it.

CPR: What amps do you like? Im looking for a 4-channel amp with around 75 watts RMS at 2ohms. I love the ALpine PDX series, digital classD four channel gives me the chills! But i dont have that kind of money to blow. What about the Alpine V-Power?
For the subs, either the old style mono/block JL or the new Fosgate T-1500-1bd

For the seperates (components) the Alpine PDX 4.150. The V-Power in my opinion is not good. Actually the PDX series is the first amps by Alpine that I have ever even thought about using, as their amplifiers are typically junk.

I am running 2- Alpine PDX 4.150's and one RF T-1500-1bd. Subs are Kicker L7 Solobarics. Components are Infinity's front and Alpine X-series rear with the Pioneer 90BT Head. Power is regulated via a Kinetics Batcap, mounted i the right rear well. Custom Amp rack is in the spare tire well.

What are you trying to push? I may have something here....
Old 03-29-2009, 09:55 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Word of advice on the Nakamichi's. Those are some of the best head units I've seen, for a relatively affordable price. Certainly worlds better than you can get at most sound shops. However. In the not too distant past, Nak was bought out or bought into, under a controlling interest. The cheaper products they sell are not what Nakamichi used to be. Though, as far as I know, the mid and high priced products are still high-high quality.

I'm not saying their cheaper stuff isn't good, but I'm not sure it would be worth the Nakamichi price tag. It would be worth it to look at price-competitive alternatives for the cheapers Nak stuff.

I myself am going to go with a Nak in both the Porsche and my other car. Nak in the Porsche because I like class and refined performance. Nak in my other car, because I like the quality and sheer "blow you out of the water" performance over other brands.

You will also want to look into a good amplifier and a good set of speakers if you want to take full advantage of a Nakamichi head unit (or any of their high performance products).

Does anyone know if MBQuart is any good these days? I know they're under Maxxsonics, with Crunch and Hifonics. I have some Crunch and Hifonics stuff and I like it, but I haven't seen any component speakers from those brands. I'd like to get the best I can for a reasonable price (but I am often known to stretch my savings a bit longer to buy something extra nice).
Old 03-29-2009, 09:58 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPR

For the seperates (components) the Alpine PDX 4.150. The V-Power in my opinion is not good. Actually the PDX series is the first amps by Alpine that I have ever even thought about using, as their amplifiers are typically junk.

I am running 2- Alpine PDX 4.150's and one RF T-1500-1bd. Subs are Kicker L7 Solobarics. Components are Infinity's front and Alpine X-series rear with the Pioneer 90BT Head. Power is regulated via a Kinetics Batcap, mounted i the right rear well. Custom Amp rack is in the spare tire well.

Why do you have two Alpine PDX 4.150's ? wouldn't 1 be enough for 4 mid-range speakers? I assume the RF is just for the 3 10" subs.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:05 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

CPR - your setup is exactly what i've been looking at last summer. Very costly, you have to mod the doors for 6.5" speakers or components - fiberglass enclosure in the hatch. Custom Amp rack, wiring and of course the speakers/deck/amp. With labour it's about $3500 + . Someday... someday
Old 03-29-2009, 10:13 PM
CPR
Race Director

Why do you have two Alpine PDX 4.150's ? wouldn't 1 be enough for 4 mid-range speakers? I assume the RF is just for the 3 10" subs.
14 speakers...not 4.

Four in each front door (1-6.5 mid, 3.5 mid, 2-1"tweets), 3 in each rear side (6.5, 2-1"). One PDX for the front 8...one PDX for the rear 6. I like to cross channel as it fills in better than a straight left and right balance...especially when you are catching a movie on a long drive and want it in surround sound mode

And if I can ever get these poly-speaker adaptors 100% dead-on fit, the install is a breeze. I am having some issues with my fab, making the .5" to .125" transition that covers the OEM hole while being thin enough to allow the door to shut properly, look exactly right. Although you can do MDF, real easily.

CPR - your setup is exactly what i've been looking at last summer. Very costly, you have to mod the doors for 6.5" speakers or components - fiberglass enclosure in the hatch. Custom Amp rack, wiring and of course the speakers/deck/amp. With labour it's about $3500 + . Someday... someday
Old 03-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CPR- Thanks, Right now I am fabing up some RS style door panels to hold Alpine components to match the set in the rear, I am also building Sub box to sit in the passenger side cubby, and a storage compartment with a amp rack to go where the rear seats were. I am also upgrading the headunit to the Alpine iDA X305 I bought of a friend cheap.

All this while I redo the entire interior from Linen/black to all black. I already got the new dash put in and have the new carpet. All I need now is a set of seats, but I am short on $$.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:28 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

and I want to do that..
Old 03-29-2009, 11:15 PM
CPR
Race Director

and I want to do that..
And you can...
Old 03-29-2009, 11:31 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

Amps? www.mcintoshlabs.com Hands down, FTW.

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/Car-Audio.asp
Old 03-29-2009, 11:36 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by tone3721
For home...YES.
For car...not so much, IMO.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPR

Ha well im going for more SQ then spl. Right now im running an alpine headunit, 6.5" infinity Kappa' coax's in the rear, and i havent decided yet what im going to run in the front, but probably a pair of 6.5" components. I have a 10" kicker L5 in a ported box, but i dont like it at all so im going back to my old school JL 8W6 in a ported box. I want to eventually run a good 4channel at 75watts/channel for each corner and a ClassD mono amp for the sub.

Quick Reply: Can we talk Nakamichi CD500?