Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive
View Poll Results: Any Quality Difference between dealer OE Zimmermann rotors vs aftermarket Zimmermann?
Yes, Porsche quality is a bit better.
31.58%
No. Quality is the same.
52.63%
I've never replaced rotors with Zimmermann.
15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Any Quality Difference between dealer OE Zimmermann rotors vs aftermarket Zimmermann?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:12 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

If you're driving on the track, the rotors sold through the dealer hold up a lot better than aftermarket Zimmermans. I heat-cracked a pair of Zimmermans in ~4 weekends where the dealer rotors last about twice that long. The finish on the friction surface is also different.

For street driving, though, the aftermarket Zimmermans should be fine if you paint the hat.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jerome951
If you're driving on the track, the rotors sold through the dealer hold up a lot better than aftermarket Zimmermans. I heat-cracked a pair of Zimmermans in ~4 weekends where the dealer rotors last about twice that long. The finish on the friction surface is also different.

For street driving, though, the aftermarket Zimmermans should be fine if you paint the hat.
I agree completely.

Some years ago, I bought a set of 928S4 rotors for an 89T from an aftermarket supplier. When they showed up, one was an OE Porsche rotor in the porsche box, the other was a Zimmerman rotor. Car was track driven, and the Zimmerman rotor had significantly more heat stress cracking and cracked through while the porsche rotor was still in pretty good shape. The difference was quite dramatic. Discussed this at the time with the owner of Diversified Cryogenics (sold a lot of cryo treated rotors) , and he agreed that the metallurgy of the porsche rotors was different than the zimmerman rotors.

Not sure if that was specific to the 928S4 rotors, or if there are similar differences between other sized porsche and aftermarket (whether OEM or not) rotors.

And I dont know if porsche has changed OE suppliers or if zimmerman has changed metallurgy since then (about 9-10 years ago) - but I have only used Porsche rotors on my track cars after that, and will continue to do so, unless it is proven that the aftermarket rotor quality is now the same as porsche.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Once again, OE is proven better quality than OEM. Makes sense, though, doesn't it? You would think Porsche standards with suppliers would be a bit higher than those of aftermarket parts distributors. In some parts, it's irrelevant, but with brakes...

Thanks for all the responses!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:18 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once again, OE is proven better quality than OEM.
Luis... don't push too much - we're already surrounded. Besides, there is much for us to learn from the modifed guys...;] Bruce
Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BRIT944TS - Can we part out your missus

Welcome to Rennlist
Old 03-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=15894

Some additional discussion on OE/OEM rotor quality and potential risk...

Quick Reply: Any Quality Difference between dealer OE Zimmermann rotors vs aftermarket Zimmermann?