Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

They took my Dipstick!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009 | 11:05 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default They took my Dipstick!

This is a bit of rant. Back in November I had my last oil change at a service station equivalent to your jiffylube. I checked out my car today in storage, and i noticed the dipstick is gone! bastards!! idiots! I call them and of course they know nothing about it. So now I have to find a dipstick, of course it's not a usual part and i found one at a salvage yard... but what a pain in the ***.

/endrant

Sebastian
Old 03-03-2009 | 11:11 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess they wernt thinking with their dipstick so they needed yours!

On a sidenote good luck finding one free!
Old 03-03-2009 | 11:12 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sebastian944
This is a bit of rant. Back in November I had my last oil change at a service station equivalent to your jiffylube. I checked out my car today in storage, and i noticed the dipstick is gone! bastards!! idiots! I call them and of course they know nothing about it. So now I have to find a dipstick, of course it's not a usual part and i found one at a salvage yard... but what a pain in the ***.

/endrant

Sebastian
Last time I used Screw-u-lube I ended up with 3 cars all going in for major service... They took it upon themselves to "top off" the coolant in the VW I had at the time, Coolant turned to SNOT (Gelled)

Never, Never, Never use a quicky shop, my local P-Car dealership does oil and filter change for $39 US or so... Cheaper to use them than anywhere else... I now have my routine maintenance done at the dealership for the cars, it is easier, quicker, and they use the factory approve fluids (knocking vigorously on wood)..

Check with Ian at 944online, or hit up someone on here parting a car...
Old 03-03-2009 | 11:32 PM
adrian1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I may have an extra one laying around. I will know by friday. Just pay for shipping I'll send it you.
Old 03-04-2009 | 03:11 AM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

jiffy lube took my air filter out of my 07 Dakota to show be how dirty it was and tried to charge me $58.00 for a new one. I said no and then 3000 miles later when I did my own oil change I went to look at the air filter but it wasn't there.... idiots
Old 03-04-2009 | 03:21 AM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Valvoline instant oil change told me once how dirty my truck air filter looked, so i smiled and told them that i'd like to have a look at it. ( i knew that they hadn't even checked, b/c i had installed a brand new K&N filter the day before) That really suprised him once he opened it up! The guy stood there dumbfounded for a second, then tried to tell me that he meant that my oil filter was dirty! haha!
Filter is now long gone, but the look on that guy's face once he knew that some highschool kid had punk had called his bluff still makes me laugh!
Old 03-04-2009 | 05:02 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont take my vehicles to shops for this reason. If i cant maintain the car myself, I dont own it.
Old 03-04-2009 | 08:54 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2009 | 08:59 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

^haha

Sucks they took it. I can't tell you how many of those shops have a ATS(average ticket quota) to meet. They aren't interested in simple oil changes or brake pad changes. They have to find a way to bump the ticket up. Sometimes their job depends on it.
Old 03-04-2009 | 09:09 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a relatively cheap part from the dealer. Around $12 or so, IIRC. Just order one.
Old 03-04-2009 | 10:08 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Make sure you get the same year - they are different lengths!

I took my 951 to a Valvoline once...they wouldn't touch it because it was a Porsche and they said it was too expensive a car for them to risk working on. My guess was I was the least expensive car there....(at least in stock form!)
Old 03-04-2009 | 11:55 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
they wouldn't touch it because it was a Porsche and they said it was too expensive a car for them to risk working on.
Too expensive to fix, but then you've already got that covered.
Old 03-04-2009 | 11:58 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

I would never take my 951 to one of those places, but take my Jeep there once in a while and they all assume you're a complete idiot. The last time the guy actually showed me how "dirty' my brand-new air filter was. I told him I'd just blow it out, and he gave me a very serious warning about how that would just blow the dirt into the filterand I should vacuum it if anything. I didn't bother to explain him that you blow it opposite the airflow, but since I was already wasting time I asked him if he ever sees K&N's on Jeeps. He explained that they aren't worth the money because recharge kits cost so much. I said "Really? I get something like 5 of 10 charges out of a kit on my car." He explained that car filters are smaller, and HIS truck takes a whole kit every time. I don't think I'll be going back there.
Old 03-04-2009 | 01:58 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

LOL well thanks for the replies. So it seems this story has an ending. Mr. Lube at http://www.mrlube.com/ called me back this morning. "After checking our videotapes in Novemeber of last year, we can confirm the dipstick was left out by one of our service technicians. We apologize for your inconvenience. We will gladly replace your dipstick, if you would just give us your plate number and your VIN so that we can order it from the Porsche dealer."

So it looks like I will get my dipstick back after all good thing I was car-sick and decided to visit my car and poke around! The dipstick is $32 at 944online and is $28 USD dollars at http://dcauto.gotdns.com/ (DC automotive) I never did check the price here in CDN but it's always 25% more .. probably $50 CDN at the dealer.

I just shake my head at this.. i'm not going there again.
Old 03-04-2009 | 02:05 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sebastian944
LOL well thanks for the replies. So it seems this story has an ending. Mr. Lube at http://www.mrlube.com/ called me back this morning. "After checking our videotapes in Novemeber of last year, we can confirm the dipstick was left out by one of our service technicians. We apologize for your inconvenience. We will gladly replace your dipstick, if you would just give us your plate number and your VIN so that we can order it from the Porsche dealer."

So it looks like I will get my dipstick back after all good thing I was car-sick and decided to visit my car and poke around! The dipstick is $32 at 944online and is $28 USD dollars at http://dcauto.gotdns.com/ (DC automotive) I never did check the price here in CDN but it's always 25% more .. probably $50 CDN at the dealer.

I just shake my head at this.. i'm not going there again.
What I find disturbing is this... I could see an air filter being left out, I am sure they throw out 100 air filters each day... But the dipstick is a pull, check, reinsert part, and at the end of the day someone had to have been like "Dude, who's dipstick is this?", "Where did this come from?", "Who did we just screw?"... As a business owner, I would have reviewed the video in November and called the customer whos dipstick I now had sitting on my desk....

Quick Reply: They took my Dipstick!