Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Trans Coupler Stripped Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:14 AM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans Coupler Stripped Bolt

So I am in the process of removing my trans and one of the 2 8mm allen bolts head is stripped. Im guessing the trans has never been removed because the other bolts thread were a bit rusty. Ive sprayed it with PB blaster and am letting it sit overnight. Ive also pounded a 10mm cheese head into it and am hoping I can break it loose. If that dont work any other thoughts? Im thinking drilling it out will take forever and require me to find a very long drill bit.

Thanks
Brian
Old 02-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

If you go the drilling route, it might not have to be that long. If you drill the hex head off of it, you might be able to release enough pressure to slide the coupler back. you could deal with complete bolt extraction after you have it out. Is it the rear one? You might be able to get an air powered cut off tool in there to take the head off.... Hopefully the PB Blaster and 10mm cheesehead will do the trick. You might want to buy a small mapp gas torch at wal mart, and heat the coupler to increase your odds.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:55 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
If you go the drilling route, it might not have to be that long. If you drill the hex head off of it, you might be able to release enough pressure to slide the coupler back. you could deal with complete bolt extraction after you have it out.
No, that won't work, since the bolts ride in the grooves (one on the drive shaft and one on the trans input shaft) and will keep it from sliding back.

If you can get one of the bolts completely out, you may be able to drop the rear suspension, tilt the connected transaxle and torque down and then finally remove the transaxle from the drive shaft. You won't be able to pull the trans back since the spare tire wheel is in the way.

Of course, that's a lot of extra work. Before I did that, I would weld a tool into the offending bolt and try to remove it that way. Sometimes, sacrificing a tool is better than wasting an extra few hours of effort.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Good call guru.. I still havn't had my coffee this morning!
He may still get it with the cheesehead and PB / maybe heat. Fingeres crossed.
I have never tried using a cheesehead for that type of job, but I used to use the 6 point torx in the same fashion if needed.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:22 AM
xupkid2
Pro

Well the cheesehead was unsuccessful even with PB and lots of heat. Just stripped that guy right out of there. Next Im going to try pounding a 15mm socket onto the head and see if I can get that to work. The worst part is that whoever the engineer was didnt allow for a straight shot when loosening the bolt so your always at some type of angle even with a wobbly head socket. If that dont work Ill give drilling a try. This is no fun what so ever. 1 stupid bolt is holding up the 100 other things I have to do.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Welding not an option??
Old 02-27-2009, 01:01 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Unfortunately I dont have a welder however after the an hour of careful drilling...success. I got about 1/2" into the bolt and then was able to break it loose. Talk about a satisfying moment. I started with small drill bits and worked my way up to a 3/8" For anyone else who has to do this go get good drill bits and ones that are about 6-8" long. Makes life much easier.

Thanks to all for the suggestions
Brian
Old 02-27-2009, 01:10 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to sears and get the Bolt Out kit (I think its called the bolt out). It is NOT the nasty kind where you drill a hole and twist an extractor in so it can break off. Its like a toothed socket that you pound onto the bolt or nut and then put a socket on it to back the bolt/nut out. Its saved my butt a few times. The kit is $50ish I think but worth it.

Its called a Bolt Out or an Easy Off or something like that.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:02 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Go to sears and get the Bolt Out kit (I think its called the bolt out). It is NOT the nasty kind where you drill a hole and twist an extractor in so it can break off. Its like a toothed socket that you pound onto the bolt or nut and then put a socket on it to back the bolt/nut out. Its saved my butt a few times. The kit is $50ish I think but worth it.

I see he got it out already, but definitely +1 to the bolt outs for stripped heads. IIRC the set is less than 30 bucks.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:06 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
I see he got it out already, but definitely +1 to the bolt outs for stripped heads. IIRC the set is less than 30 bucks.
I guess I shouldnt have skimmed his post
Old 02-27-2009, 02:08 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

funny you mention that a friend of mine holds the patent on that tool. Unfortunately it has been in court for 15 years for infringement. Amazing what eh big boys do to the littel guy even if they hold a patent.

Funny thing is he came up with the idea as a teen when stealing wheels and needing something to remove locks. He ended up patenting it abotu 10 years later and the original drawings have saved his bacon numerous times. I had to testify to seeing the drawings back in 1990 in front of the Colorado supreme court

He is one of the only people to set patent law Pro Se (self appointed) .
Old 02-27-2009, 02:11 PM
blown 944
Race Car

quick link to part of it

http://www.ll.georgetown.edu/federal...s/01-1087.html
Old 02-27-2009, 04:15 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 169 Posts

It think they are called easy outs. we use them in the shop all the time. It may help to drill a hole in the bolt first to get some bite. Basically it is a reverse rotation type hardened bit with a square drive at the end. The harder you turn in the unblot direction the harder it bites into the bolt. I have broken bolts and studs in half with these things... Good luck.

I have also seen the spare tire well cut out to clear the TT with the coupler on but do that only after you have lost all hope and patence...
Old 02-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Judson951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have a coupler with bolts in the garage if you need it.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:38 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Originally Posted by notthd
It think they are called easy outs. we use them in the shop all the time. It may help to drill a hole in the bolt first to get some bite. Basically it is a reverse rotation type hardened bit with a square drive at the end. The harder you turn in the unblot direction the harder it bites into the bolt. I have broken bolts and studs in half with these things... Good luck.

I have also seen the spare tire well cut out to clear the TT with the coupler on but do that only after you have lost all hope and patence...

That is different

the easy out is for a drilled hole the lug off's, easy off,... "screw off's" (the original name) uses the outside of the bolt head and threads on in reverse while also threading itself on and tightening while loosening the bolt at the same time kind of like a reverse thread die.

Quick Reply: Trans Coupler Stripped Bolt