Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

BEWARE aUTOTHORITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:59 AM
marcodarq
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEWARE aUTOTHORITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Folks,

I don't usually do what I'm about to right now, but I truly feel it needs to be done. Moderators and Administrators, please understand.

I've got an 86 951 that i've been having a hard time trying to track down a servere, but interimittant missfire issue. I've been a mechanic for 20 years, have all the certs to back it up and also work for/with a MASTER Electrical/performance tech whom is my boss. when i say master i mean the guy that teaches your factory training schools!!
Anyway, after going through all the normal stuff, i get down to having to try to trouble shoot my Autothority MAF system. Not having any published specs for their product, i called them on the phone to try to get the info....and guess what!!! they basically said i could go f&(* myself!! that they do NOT release this info except to the people that SELL their Product. Well it's their business and i know that they can run it how they want, but i've never had someone be quite so rude about not being willing to help!!! Russel Bary and Dave Lindsey wouldn't do that!!!!!! these guys must really think that they have it going on!!!
Anyway, my experience with this outfit sucks!!!! i will never recomend them or their products to anyone!!! If i didn't live 1000 miles away from them, i'd have made the trip to their front door!!! i did used to live in the area where they are located and if i go back to visit, be sure i'll make that trip!!!!
I just wanted to let people know how BAD my experience was with Autothority, and as far as i've seen, you can get whatever they have from someone else that makes it better, more affordable, and will offer much better customer service and support!!!!
Marco
Old 02-27-2009, 01:07 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Autothority? is this 1996?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:08 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrendanC
Autothority? is this 1996?
exactly
Old 02-27-2009, 01:11 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

There is still a company named Autothority. I forget how the story goes but the company was sold and I'm not sure if anyone from the Autothority who produced your MAF is still affiliated with the company now known as Autothority.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:19 AM
marcodarq
Intermediate

of these things i am aware, thanks for attempting to keep me up to date. the stuff that i bought is their current issue, i was really trying to relate the experience more than the product.
M
Old 02-27-2009, 01:25 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

I tried to get info on their products and I got the same kind of thing.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:26 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was the product already installed in the car when you purchased it?
Old 02-27-2009, 03:01 AM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why even bother with their products? Their chips run lean up top, and overly-rich at low RPM, and this is not the first time that i have heard of bad customer service and early detonation/pinging, etc....
Old 02-27-2009, 07:50 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have autothority MAF and stage 2 chips! No problems but I know the air fuel ratio is screwed up!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 AM
TF
Instructor

Had similar experience
Old 02-27-2009, 10:56 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dillon410021
I have autothority MAF and stage 2 chips! No problems but I know the air fuel ratio is screwed up!
Same here.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:10 AM
CPR
Race Director

Other than the Autothority Chipset/MAF being old technology, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about them.
They have bent over backwards to help me, and upon discovering a bad harness connection I called them and they overnighted the piece to me...so...I am OK with them.

From other threads/posts I have read, it seems that the customer service issues seem to arise when the person with the issue was not the original owner/purchaser, but still wants Autothority to back a product that they have no idea what has been done to it, how many times it has changed hands, etc....

This reaction seems to be consistent with other ( not all but most) chipset vendors, I have spoken with. I inquired to a few if they would offer support (even if I paid for the support), and the majority of the answers were a solid NO.

I have no affiliation with Autothority and if to do again (which I will in the near future), I would choose a different vendor based on the better performance now available and not because of any customer service issues.

BTW...Authority merged with PitStop motorsports.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:52 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Patrick, that's good to know. I've never heard a story from an original purchaser contacting them. I had the autothority stuff on my car when I bought it. I didn't ask them to mail me anything or fix anything though. I simply asked for some specifications. What boost is it designed for? They acted as if they never made a maf for a 951 when I told them I wasn't the original purchaser. In the amount of time it took them to explain that they won't help me, they could have answered my question. I have purchased autothority stuff from autothority for my other vehicles, but I won't deal with them anymore.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Here we go again.

Before they merged with whomever they did, I had great customer service from them. For the price they are charging, the service should be stellar. Try going through the vendor you bought it from.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:41 PM
jmj951
Pro

Originally Posted by CPR
...From other threads/posts I have read, it seems that the customer service issues seem to arise when the person with the issue was not the original owner/purchaser, but still wants Autothority to back a product that they have no idea what has been done to it, how many times it has changed hands, etc....

This reaction seems to be consistent with other ( not all but most) chipset vendors, I have spoken with. I inquired to a few if they would offer support (even if I paid for the support), and the majority of the answers were a solid NO....
My personal experience with Russell Berry/MaxHP is that he fully supports his products after they change hands.

Quick Reply: BEWARE aUTOTHORITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!