Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Got a BS ticket Friday. Do they still do court supervision without traffic school?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:56 AM
rmoleman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a BS ticket Friday. Do they still do court supervision without traffic school?

I got a ticket for turning left at an intersection with a no left turn 4:30 - 6:00 Weekdays sign. $75 fine, what BS.

Does anyone know if they still do court supervision without traffic school in Lake County, IL ?

I not doing the traffic school routine, it is just another way to get more money out of my pocket, I'd rather just pay the fine and take my chance with higher insurance rates.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:47 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 271 Posts

Pay the man.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime...

Old 02-22-2009, 01:52 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

pathetic plea, no sympathy.

95sl320
Old 02-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Really... You are mad at getting a ticket when there is a sign that you saw and choose to ignore? I really get tired of seeing these post here. At the very least, it needs to be in the OT section.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:34 PM
rmoleman
Instructor

To anyone else with a smart comment:

The reason it is BS is it was 4:25 by my watch, by my car clock when I got the ticket. The officer wrote 4:31 on the ticket. While I was driving away the radio gave the time as 4:30.

I know there is no way a judge is going to take my side so I feel very sure BS it the appropriate description.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:48 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously he was waiting for anyone to dare turn at 4:30. If it was me i wouldn't of made the turn even if it was 5 minutes before the time. just too risky.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:01 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rmoleman
To anyone else with a smart comment:

The reason it is BS is it was 4:25 by my watch, by my car clock when I got the ticket. The officer wrote 4:31 on the ticket. While I was driving away the radio gave the time as 4:30.

I know there is no way a judge is going to take my side so I feel very sure BS it the appropriate description.
3 different sources for the time, when the radio said 430 what did your point of reference watch/clock say?

less than 5 min for a traffic stop/ticket seems kinda short.

95sl320 dd
Old 02-22-2009, 05:37 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a ticket for turning left at an intersection with a no left turn 4:30 - 6:00 Weekdays sign. $75 fine, what BS.

Does anyone know if they still do court supervision without traffic school in Lake County, IL ?

I not doing the traffic school routine, it is just another way to get more money out of my pocket, I'd rather just pay the fine and take my chance with higher insurance rates.
I'm in McHenry county, I think they just changed it or are in the process of changing it. Looks like traffic school for you. Enjoy. lol
Old 02-23-2009, 12:15 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you feel he make a mistake, talk to the Judge...that is what he is there for. He makes the final decision, but you better have your facts in order. As stated above, it is very unlikely that you could have a traffic stop in five minutes if a ticket is issued. I am sure a Judge would pick up on that in a second.

I am sure you could argue that your time piece didn't agree with his to the precision of a couple of minutes. I know I could argue that one. Check your clock against the link below (Atomic clock) and find out how much it was off. The judge my just make you pay court costs.
www.time.gov
Old 02-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Does he not have to report when he is pulling someone over and call it in to dispatch. Dash video would show time as well.

If you are that confident fight it. Ask for a jury trial. It will be a pain in the *** and it will take a while but you could probably get it dropped. Provided your facts are straight.

Seems like a lot of effort for a $80 ticket.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:29 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The closest I've ever come to prison was the time I threw a bag of marshmallows to my high school science teacher. Instead of studying for our final on the last day before the test, he'd acquired some liquid nitrogen that had previously been used to store bull semen, and he asked us to bring stuff to freeze in it. He froze a racquetball and broke it with a hammer, and my buddy Rob dumped some Nutty Bars in the stuff when he wasn't looking. I'd bought a bag of marshmallows for the occasion, and I called out to him from the back of the class. He raised his head and made eye contact with me so, even though the guy wasn't particularly athletic, I lobbed the bag over the heads of my classmates. At that moment he looked back down into the liquid nitrogen, clueless that there was a bag of marshmallows a split second away. There was just enough time for me to imagine the marshmallows hitting this liquid nitrogen container and spilling it all over his hands, then those hands breaking like froze racquetballs. This, surely, would have been grounds for being sent to the big house before graduation. The bag of marshmallows just missed his head and hit the chalkboard, saving me from years of prison by a few inches.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:53 PM
rmoleman
Instructor

Update

I went to court this week. As the whole system is rigged I got supervision; $113 dollars fine and court cost combined. Total rip off.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:26 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry I was late to this. I might have been able to help as I know the First Assistant Public Defender up there. Sorry
Old 03-08-2009, 05:03 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update

I went to court this week. As the whole system is rigged I got supervision; $113 dollars fine and court cost combined. Total rip off.
More details please, what was your augment to the Judge?
Old 03-08-2009, 02:29 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Update

Its always a rip off, I used to hate it too. Everyone benefits from your misfortune. The town gets money, state gets money, insurance goes up, cops get 4 hours of overtime (they love it when you take them to court), and lawyers stay in business. I mean sure, police keep the streets safe...I just hated giving money away. I hated police, but it when I thought about it, it was always my fault...Getting my license suspended for a six month period a few years ago was the best remedy for me.

I drove anyway (stupid, I know...) but I drove carefully. That meant doing exactly the speed limit, stopping completely at stop signs, and when I was in a situation like you were and there was a doubt, I would drive a few more blocks until I was sure it was safe to make a left.

I was thankfully never pulled over, but a funny thing happened to me when I got my license restored. I was so used to driving like that in fear of getting pulled over, that I continued doing so. Even to this day I have never gotten a speeding ticket in a red 951.

Just behave. If you want to get the cops back, just picture this scenario. Its 2am. Theres a very bored cop waiting in a blind spot right after a pointless stop sign. He sees you pulling up and you come to a complete stop, and he gets very disappointed that you did nothing wrong. No need for him to pull you over and start a half hour circus on you, calling for backup, flashing lights....what a way to pass the time, right? Keep him bored in the corner, and dont give away any more of your hard earned money.

Quick Reply: Got a BS ticket Friday. Do they still do court supervision without traffic school?