Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pictures of my engine build

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:58 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of my engine build

Finally got around to start putting my engine together today and took the time to take a few photos. I did not make a bunch of progress today, but did get the bottom end together.

Thought some of you guys would want to see the progress.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jlturpin...eat=directlink

Last edited by jlturpin; 03-07-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Did you remember to seal that oil galley before bolting up the girdle? I don't see the tell-tale orange sealant. Looking great -- keep up the good work. Nothing like driving a motor you built yourself!
Old 02-21-2009, 09:15 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Did you remember to seal that oil galley before bolting up the girdle? I don't see the tell-tale orange sealant. Looking great -- keep up the good work. Nothing like driving a motor you built yourself!

I did, I cleaned it all up with brake clean prior to taking the photos after the girdle wan on. Plenty of 574 applied with small roller.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, you can spot the air bubbles in one of the photos, looks good.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:03 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Wow another nice build going on. Keep us posted. Goodluck
Old 02-22-2009, 04:23 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Nice going Jonathon. What's the specs on this motor?
Old 02-22-2009, 09:25 AM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Looking good Jonathan!
Old 02-22-2009, 09:42 AM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Just a 2.5, over .003. Swaintech coated, using lindsey's new ring pack. Stock rods, cleaned up and spec'd. ARP hardware, thanks to SKI. In my spare time, I will take the photos, and make a powerpoint document with step by step reference document for TQ, and Tightening sequence stuff. I will clean up my spread sheet of all the parts I have ordered, with part numbers for someone who is looking to do this. There really is no 1K rebuild in my mind....

I have spent countless hours cleaning parts, and have polished a lot of the parts, not to a high shine, but just to clean them up. I wish I had a local Zink plating company, but don't so i will get some VHT, or ceramic type paint and paint all the Heat shields a neutral color. I'll post some more photos today if I have a chance. I've got to pull a few parts off the parts car(S) to ship this week.

I did all the head work myself, with exception of guides, I had the machine shop replace them a $2.50 a piece. I did a 3 angle valve job, I cut the seats myself, lapped them in, about a 2mm seat. I setup the spring height (Luckily I have access to all the special tools, and one of the best Porsche Techs around to oversee my work) Cleaned up the intake port, and the combustion chamber. I actually used the AN30 sunnen paste on the head with a polish wheel to bring the silicone to the surface in the combustion chamber, who know what this will do, hopefully it will help flow in the combustion chamber. It sure looks pretty.

I setup the rings with the following specs, .012-.015 top and 2nd ring end gap, .03 3 piece oil ring gap. .0001 cylinder wall clearance.

I am replacing all sensors, hoses, mounts, S & R sensors. Using the 3 harness replacements pieces from Lindsey, Injector, Knock, sensors etc, S & R sensor harness.

I plan to use an Iceshark Kit, and have the AUX wiring harness for the Ecode headlight to install when I goes back together.

New steering rack, New Motor Mounts, Sway bar bushings, I am rebuilding the control arms, Throttle Body, and will reseal the TOP of the AOS.

New Spec III Hybrid clutch, Hybrid Disc, Aluminum Flywheel. I will be installing the AOR LSD from my S that I am parting out.

I will be going with a GT3076 with full 3" exhaust, custom up and down pipe, V-band fitting throughout, Borla XR1, and Tial 44mm wastegate with V-bands. Thanks Bruce.

I have been running a stand-alone, and have done a lot of work to make it work using the factory S & R sensors, and factory harness, really cool stuff and really cool experience. It is a Microsquirt and about the size of a small package of Post it notes. It ran great and i have about 5K miles on it, but..... During the R&D on this Standalone, I did blow 1 engine trying to get the S & R sensor to work (NOT this one), making mods to the Microsquirt Board etc so I did not have to use a trigger wheel. So, even though it was perfect after all the tuning and R&D, I just can't take any chances. I will probably use it for a datalog device for MAP, MAF, CLT, IAT, EGT, RPM, Oil Pressure, AFR and anything else i can get to log.

I think I will be going with Vitesse's new V-flex MAF, MAP, Piggy back and my own Large injectors. I just can't risk the engine with the baby so close to being here. Not to mention I have lots of $$ in this deal, and the wife happened to see my paypal account where I have bought all the parts over the past 3 months. I could have easily bought SKI's car for the money I have in parts, and some parts that I am sure I left out. If it is off the car, it is either being replace with new, if it is a wear part, it has been ordered and will be replaced, if it is a hard part, it has be checked and double checked to be in tight tolerance for factory spec.

I am going to buy one of the new EGT gauges with 5V output for datalogging from Stack, one of their Pro Control gauges (BTW, IF anyone, anywhere has access to these, please let me know, they are 4 weeks out in the United States). I have my innovative Wideband, and Analog wideband gauge, and boost gauge. I will add oil pressure gauge, and Oil Temp gauge. I will probably be adding my KISS oil cooler to this car as well. I also have a New EBC that I will hook up eventually, thanks to Aribop, the 993 guy.

That is all I can think of right now, the coffee is ready and I need to get out and pull some parts and try to make some progress on my block today.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Sounds like you will do a great job. If you want yellow-zinc, there is a yellow zinc plater in Sunnyvale CA called 4D Metal Finishing. He turns things around in about 48 hours and has never charged me more than his minimum of $65 no matter how much stuff I drag in there. If you overnight parts to him on Monday, I bet you'd have them back on Friday. I'm just say'n....

Or...the CopyCad system from Caswell now comes with a yellow zinc system for the DIYer.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:21 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

engine looks great!
Old 02-22-2009, 02:12 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Sounds like you will do a great job. If you want yellow-zinc, there is a yellow zinc plater in Sunnyvale CA called 4D Metal Finishing. He turns things around in about 48 hours and has never charged me more than his minimum of $65 no matter how much stuff I drag in there. If you overnight parts to him on Monday, I bet you'd have them back on Friday. I'm just say'n....

Or...the CopyCad system from Caswell now comes with a yellow zinc system for the DIYer.

I'll look into 4D metal finishing and give him a call tomorrow, I can wait a few weeks for the parts, if he can do them at a fair price. I'll also lot at the CopyCad system, just to see what it is all about.

Jonathan
Old 02-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good Jonathan. Our rebuilds sound fairly similar. I’ve also have a spreadsheet of part numbers and sources that I was thinking about sharing with folks. I was thinking about setting up a Wiki to host this plus the other notes I’ve collected. Maybe we could put your stuff up there too.

Originally Posted by jlturpin
Just a 2.5, over .003. Swaintech coated, using lindsey's new ring pack.
So what piston clearance did you end up with? I’m still trying to figure that out myself.

BTW, Thanks for the AFPR and BOV. They got here quickly and were in great shape when they arrived.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:09 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice project.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:27 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dare
Looking good Jonathan. Our rebuilds sound fairly similar. I’ve also have a spreadsheet of part numbers and sources that I was thinking about sharing with folks. I was thinking about setting up a Wiki to host this plus the other notes I’ve collected. Maybe we could put your stuff up there too.

So what piston clearance did you end up with? I’m still trying to figure that out myself.

BTW, Thanks for the AFPR and BOV. They got here quickly and were in great shape when they arrived.
I did .001 clearance on the piston to cylinder clearance. Glad you got the AFPR and BOV.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:56 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

A few more photos. Very Little progress today since I had to pull several parts for guys who helped fund this build.

Photo of one balance shaft that I have spread the 574 on out of a tube, and the other has been coated with 574 using the roller.

I did get both balance shafts and covers installed today. I am going to try to put the front covers on tonight and may get the oil pump and water pump installed.

Quick Reply: Pictures of my engine build