Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pictures of my engine build

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those Lindsey rings are nice. I think I got the first set.

I am at about the same spot as you Jonathan. Need to get my but in gear and order all my seals.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:09 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Made a little more progress. Mounted oil pump, and waterpump.

Last edited by jlturpin; 03-06-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:36 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strange. I can see from the thread subscription email I received that your last post contains four image links. But only one shows up when I view the thread. Seems like Picasa may have some trouble with direct links from rennlist.

Anyway, progress looks good. BTW, how did you clean the gasket surfaces on the front? I used gasket cleaner and a razor blade until the surfaces were smooth, but they don't look nearly as shiny as yours.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:58 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jonathan,
Looking good! Everything is well cleaned/polished.

Please keep the pics and updates coming. It is great to see oone from start to finish.

PATRICK
Old 02-25-2009, 11:14 AM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dare
Strange. I can see from the thread subscription email I received that your last post contains four image links. But only one shows up when I view the thread. Seems like Picasa may have some trouble with direct links from rennlist.

Anyway, progress looks good. BTW, how did you clean the gasket surfaces on the front? I used gasket cleaner and a razor blade until the surfaces were smooth, but they don't look nearly as shiny as yours.
The photo links should be fixed.

I used scotch brite green to remove all gasket material, followed by brake cleaner and microfiber towel. Brake cleaner again, then compressed air.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:41 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Dude, that looks really nice! Kudos
Old 02-25-2009, 08:13 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Wow thats exactly what I'm about to do I'm still in the tear down process though.

I'll definitely be following this thread. Best of luck!!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 AM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

If I have time, I plan on doing a step by step with tq specs, torque sequence etc, and any other notes or places to pay close attention, and replacement parts that are easy to overlook. I guess this is my 9th or 10th 944/S and Turbo engine build. Takes much more time to prep all the parts and surfaces then it does to assemble the engine.

I sent off a 40# box of parts, nuts, bolts, washer, heat shields and brackets, to Four D Metal in CA to be zinc coated. Looking forward to getting it back by the end of next week, when I return from my business trip. This will be a bit of a hold up on the finished product, but will allow me to get my engine harness repaired, engine compartment detailed, and possible even some of the under carriage cleaned up after the oil spill.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:51 AM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlturpin
If I have time, I plan on doing a step by step with tq specs, torque sequence etc, and any other notes or places to pay close attention, and replacement parts that are easy to overlook. I guess this is my 9th or 10th 944/S and Turbo engine build. Takes much more time to prep all the parts and surfaces then it does to assemble the engine.

I sent off a 40# box of parts, nuts, bolts, washer, heat shields and brackets, to Four D Metal in CA to be zinc coated. Looking forward to getting it back by the end of next week, when I return from my business trip. This will be a bit of a hold up on the finished product, but will allow me to get my engine harness repaired, engine compartment detailed, and possible even some of the under carriage cleaned up after the oil spill.
That would be awesome. For someone like me, doing my first engine rebuild, there really is no comprehensive guide - especially one that covers Turbos. Theres a lot of info, it is just scattered out and nothing covers all of it. Also the info that is out there tends to overlook a lot of the little stuff.

One thing I'm going to do when I'm building mine is I'm going to try to assemble a complete list of bolts, nuts, washers and fasteners. I want to replace as much as I can but I can't get to the bolt place often so I have to have a one stop shopping thing ready.

What advantage does Zinc coating provide? Do you have to scrub the components down before you send them off?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Zack222
AutoX

Very nice build!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man thats modified.

EDIT: RolexNJ
Old 03-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Owain
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Great thread, thanks for that. I'm doing a similar project with similar goals, although I'm a bit behind you. I'm trying to move on from the disappointment of having torn down an '89 engine that I bought only to find the cylinders horribly scored.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to following your build. I haven't rebuilt an engine since high school, and could use any tips and pointers available. It's great to see that there are others working on similar projects at the same time.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:16 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

A few more pictures of some progress. Been a long week and I have been out of town so not much progress.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jlturpin...eat=directlink

Old 03-06-2009, 11:16 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

On the pic with the oil pump installed, it looks like there is a metal sleeve and o-ring missing? The front seal goes on aftewards right?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:30 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really starting to look great!

Quick Reply: Pictures of my engine build