Camber plates info thread

Old 02-25-2009, 03:55 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyG
Or use 996/997 spindles.

But that, unfortunately screws up the tie rod angle which really can't be corrected enough for anything other than super stiff track cars.

Or custom struts with the spindle mounting bracket raised (which still needs the same requirements as a raised camber plate).

TonyG

TonyG
If you had some custom spindles made, wouldn't you be able to account for the steering mount point?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:21 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorax
If you had some custom spindles made, wouldn't you be able to account for the steering mount point?
The question is: What would the "custom spindles" constitute? Hypothetically you could make custom spindles that would have lowered strut mounts, raising the relative spindle height (lowering the car) and not changing anything else.

That's all fine and dandy. But who's going to make them? It's not like you'd have a big production run. That's the problem.

TonyG
Old 02-25-2009, 12:34 PM
SprintStar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD47
Unless it's a 2.5" or a 2.25" spring it wont work.
This is for all camber plates? I have a set of GC plates which I plate to use with my "normal" Weltmeister spring. No go?

Sprint.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

I have the bottom mount GC plates in my car. Before you install, make sure you have correct GC spring hat for your spring. They use a specialized spring hat that rides on a thrust bearing in the plate. I don't know what sizes of hats they have, I think my springs are 2.5. Give them a call, they were quite helpful.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:36 PM
SprintStar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeff N.
I have the bottom mount GC plates in my car. Before you install, make sure you have correct GC spring hat for your spring. They use a specialized spring hat that rides on a thrust bearing in the plate. I don't know what sizes of hats they have, I think my springs are 2.5. Give them a call, they were quite helpful.
Ahh.. I know what you mean. I do have that spring plate for the 2.5" springs but I intend to run my stock diameter Weltmeister springs. I intend to trim my stock spring hat tops to accomodate the GC spring hat. :-)

Another question, the GC mounts are labelled Driver side and Passenger side. Does it matter? Or are they mirror images of each other? I ask because my '86 is RHD and obviously if I can help it, I don't want to mount the Driver side mount on the left of my car.

Sprint.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Suspect that's for the castor adjustments. I'd check with them but I suspect the "drivers" side will go on the left side of the car regardless of where someone actually put the steering wheel.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SprintStar
This is for all camber plates? I have a set of GC plates which I plate to use with my "normal" Weltmeister spring. No go?

Sprint.
No. Stock springs just wont fit up inside raised plates
Old 02-25-2009, 06:43 PM
marky522
Drifting

I also have the Mookeh plates on my car. I am very happy with them, the pics attached are at -2.0 Camber, I had them at 3.0 And could have gone farther. The only thing i didnt like was the fact that the entire car was supported by the 4 nuts/bolts under the body, so i took my old upper strut mounts and cut the hats off them and mounted them under the body as a reinforcement plate.

Name:  DSC01985.jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  88.5 KB

Name:  DSC01986.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  DSC01987.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  72.1 KB

Name:  DSC01988.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  61.5 KB

Name:  DSC01989.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  80.6 KB

Overall I am very happy with them, I dont know what the more expensive ones allow you to do, but these work for me.

Mark
Old 02-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

Originally Posted by marky522
I also have the Mookeh plates on my car... The only thing i didnt like was the fact that the entire car was supported by the 4 nuts/bolts under the body, so i took my old upper strut mounts and cut the hats off them and mounted them under the body as a reinforcement plate.
Mark
I don't think those camber plates are designed to be top mounted. I would recomend that you move those "old upper strut mounts" on top of the Mookeh plates. The alluminum plates is where the extra support is needed.

On the bottom side of "under the body" use large thick washers to spread the load.

Also, as added safety, I like placing the camber plate bolts in the upward direction so that the nuts are visible from the hood side. That way one can keep an eye on them and do quick visuals between track events to verify that they are all still there.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 PM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by Trucho-951
I don't think those camber plates are designed to be top mounted. I would recomend that you move those "old upper strut mounts" on top of the Mookeh plates. The alluminum plates is where the extra support is needed.

On the bottom side of "under the body" use large thick washers to spread the load.

Also, as added safety, I like placing the camber plate bolts in the upward direction so that the nuts are visible from the hood side. That way one can keep an eye on them and do quick visuals between track events to verify that they are all still there.
When i recieved them they already had them setup the same way i do, bolt from the top, into a nut under the plate, which sits on the body then you bolt from underneath. I do routinely check them as i have the car on the lift about every other day. I also used lock nuts under the car for that piece of mind.

Mark

Mark
Old 02-25-2009, 09:38 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SprintStar

Sprint.
Sprint, I cannot vouch for the plates I do not own.

I don't remember if stock fit with bottom mount GC's and I know they don't fit with kokeln's.

Sorry I'm not more helpful
Old 02-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MPD47
Sprint, I cannot vouch for the plates I do not own.

I don't remember if stock fit with bottom mount GC's and I know they don't fit with kokeln's.

Sorry I'm not more helpful
FWIW, it says on their website that stock will not work
Old 02-25-2009, 09:41 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Well then, you've answered it for him
Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 PM
SprintStar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lorax
FWIW, it says on their website that stock will not work

I understand stock will not work. I was thinking of cutting the stock hat so it sits nicely on the GC hat...

Sprint.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:57 AM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

You could try. Here's what you're facing.

Load face for the thrust bearing on the GC plate

Racers Edge hat compared to a GC hat with the thrust bearing

GG hat and plate assembley with thrust bearing installed.

Wouldn't it just be easier to buy the hats and bearings from GC?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camber plates info thread