Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

data search - cost to get 500rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:10 AM
944J
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
One question, and this is important. Would you be doing all of your own work, if you put in an LS1, or would someone else being doing the work?
Would you be doing the work on a 3.0 ltr Turbo, or would someone else?

Answer those first, then we can give you a better idea.
i'd do all the work i can for a LSx or 3.0, except machining things. i'd also try to located used parts when possible either way...
Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 AM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris White
Also...as always...what are you going to do with it? Dyno queen, show car, daily driver, autocross, DE or full race. The use will dictate a lot of the cost.
def not a car that can jut run once on a dyno it should be able to drive daily but also should be able to do a ax or a full race.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

You probably need to get a 951. 500 HP won't be enough to make a 928 fun. <--- That is a joke.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:23 AM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Kool
You probably need to get a 951. 500 HP won't be enough to make a 928 fun. <--- That is a joke.
i got the 928 for my dad
Old 02-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944J
i got the 928 for my dad
Replace the Cadillac?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have to ask you can't afford it.

I would say search but that doesn't work.
I'd have to agree. Money go's in these cars quickly. You could easily spend 15-20k cause I did it and I was just playing around. I have a feeling alot of these builds cost quite a bit more than they let on sometimes. If your starting car is perfect in everyway you would be able to cut down on the costs some but, honestly with the car ripped apart and you trying to put all that power down consider another 5 grand going to fix/upgrade suspension componets and address any "now known problem areas".

So i'd say
15k-motor/turbo/ecu
5k- suspension,tires
1-2k-LSD(if you don't already have one you'll need it)

I don't see how a real life 500+rwhp car could be track driven or daily driven for anything less than 20-22 grand. If you do ALL the work yourself you can knock 5k off the price.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM
944J
Banned

he just likes them, i do too

i like pretty much all porsches and nice cars, i even like my jeep
Old 02-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Hmmm….so a ‘full race’ 500rwhp project. If you really mean that then set aside a minimum of $50k for either build. Some of us take ‘full race’ and 500 hp pretty seriously!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Chris how many labor hours would you estimate? And I assume that the $50k would be the including labor?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:26 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 285 Posts

It really depends on what parts you already have, and how much work you can do yourself. If your starting from scratch, and doing your own assembly....plan on over 10k. When I say scratch I mean everything. If all you have is a bone stock 951 to work from, your list of parts will look pretty close to this.(depending on how you build) I did mine trying to mimic factory configurartion, as close as possible, minus aftermarket bolt on performance upgrades. Keep in mind this is JUST the engine/engine mgmnt.

s2/968/2.7block $2kish
2.7 head picked mine up for $375
968/s2 crank $12-1500
pistons/rods under $2k
bigger turbo/ecu/MAF(If I didnt already have these, I wouldve gotten the vitesse stage 3 or 4 kit)~$4k last I checked. Could probably find it used around here tho.

All together thats $9,875. And thats just parts. Add to that a rebuild kit(about another 1k or so I think), and your machine shop bill, and a few other things im sure Im missing. It really helps to have a parts car with all the upgrade goodies on it already, it helped me significantly. You can also sell your 2.5 parts to offset the cost. If you can find some of the bolt on goodies used, that will save a ton too. Under 10k, and you do your own work is plausible.....if you poke around for parts.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tone3721
It really depends on what parts you already have, and how much work you can do yourself. If your starting from scratch, and doing your own assembly....plan on over 10k. When I say scratch I mean everything. If all you have is a bone stock 951 to work from, your list of parts will look pretty close to this.(depending on how you build) I did mine trying to mimic factory configurartion, as close as possible, minus aftermarket bolt on performance upgrades. Keep in mind this is JUST the engine/engine mgmnt.

s2/968/2.7block $2kish
2.7 head picked mine up for $375
968/s2 crank $12-1500
pistons/rods under $2k
bigger turbo/ecu/MAF(If I didnt already have these, I wouldve gotten the vitesse stage 3 or 4 kit)~$4k last I checked. Could probably find it used around here tho.

All together thats $9,875. And thats just parts. Add to that a rebuild kit(about another 1k or so I think), and your machine shop bill, and a few other things im sure Im missing. It really helps to have a parts car with all the upgrade goodies on it already, it helped me significantly. You can also sell your 2.5 parts to offset the cost. If you can find some of the bolt on goodies used, that will save a ton too. Under 10k, and you do your own work is plausible.....if you poke around for parts.
That is a great start. But lets not forget all the supporting hoses and lines, Wiring, and any other wear item that needs attention on whatever car you find.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Chris how many labor hours would you estimate? And I assume that the $50k would be the including labor?
Ummm....1 hour, but I will work really hard for that 1 hour @ $50k per hour.

My initial point is that the question was way too open ended to get a usable answer. People will start tossing out numbers based on their own idea of what the poster wanted.
So my version of a 500hp ‘real race’ engine needs the following –
The usual crank/piston/block work (sleeved MID, quality rods and pistons) - $6-8k
Head work (real head work, not just making die grinder marks!) - $3-4k
Core 3.0 engine - $2-3k
Dry sump system (installed and tuned) - $5-7k
Custom intake / exhaust - $4-5K (add another $8k if you want the slick carbon fiber/barrel valve set up that is back in production)
Clutch package - $2-3k
Engine management - $5k
Turbo - $2.5k
Other crap - $2k
Bolt it together - $2k
Install it in car - $2k
Development and tuning time - $5k (includes track testing – because that’s the only way you will get it set up right)
You will need to add to that your own cooling upgrades (water and oil) and whatever else you need to keep the drive train alive.
If you go with the V8 version take some of the turbo money and put it into fabrication and development of the engine fitment. The ‘cheap’ street jobs will not last on the track….at all.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:49 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

That is a great start. But lets not forget all the supporting hoses and lines, Wiring, and any other wear item that needs attention on whatever car you find.
Yeah, unless your car already has them. Id say vac lines more than anything, what nother couple hundred there. I live in the desert, and have seen these cars with 20+ years on the same harness. This is just engine build stuff yes. This is where it really comes down to what parts you already have. Youll probably want to or need to do alot more once you start sorting everything, its starts with oh Ill rebuild the engine, next thing you know, your doing suspension, paint, ps rack, carpet, etc, etc. Of course this will be the case regardless, of whether you go with a GM mutt, or a pure bred steed.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:55 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

My initial point is that the question was way too open ended to get a usable answer. People will start tossing out numbers based on their own idea of what the poster wanted.
The usual crank/piston/block work (sleeved MID, quality rods and pistons) - $6-8k
Core 3.0 engine - $2-3k
Custom intake / exhaust - $4-5K (add another $8k if you want the slick carbon fiber/barrel valve set up that is back in production)
Clutch package - $2-3k
Engine management - $5k
Turbo - $2.5k
Other crap - $2k
Bolt it together - $2k
Install it in car - $2k
Development and tuning time - $5k (includes track testing – because that’s the only way you will get it set up right)
You will need to add to that your own cooling upgrades (water and oil) and whatever else you need to keep the drive train alive.
If you go with the V8 version take some of the turbo money and put it into fabrication and development of the engine fitment. The ‘cheap’ street jobs will not last on the track….at all.
DANG! Glad I just had built a humble little DD.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:32 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Core 3.0 engine - $2-3k
Clutch package - $2-3k
Engine management - $5k
Turbo - $2.5k
Other crap - $2k
Bolt it together - $2k
Install it in car - $2k
How many legit 500hp 951's have you seen survive on the track? I mean cars that are actually RUNNING 500, not those just capable. That's a LOT of hp and torque to put down effectively in one of our cars. I'm guessing you've only seen one or two.

Quick Reply: data search - cost to get 500rwhp