Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stuck bolt or perverse german form of torture

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck bolt or perverse german form of torture

I'm trying to drop my engine and I'm coming along well until I get to the part where I remove my exhaust. I have a one piece crossover (yay).

I've gotten 3 bolts out of the back of the turbo but there is that one bolt that has the nut tack welded to the flange...yeah that one.

I've spent one full day and one partial day (3 hours) trying to remove it. I've purchased a huge long set of wrenches, a set of flair wrenches, and one of those really long ratchets with a bent handle and a swivel head trying to get it out. After pushing on it forever, now I think the head is rounded just enough that nothing will ever grip it again.

My questions are as follows:

1) What else can I try?
2) Can I pull the engine without removing the one piece crossover?
3) Does god hate me?

Edit: Attached pics of the bolt, and my tools. My backup plan is to use the ratchet to hammer the long wrench through my skull, thus defeating the bolt.

Last edited by amirpc; 11-10-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:43 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Just curious why are you removing the crossover to remove the engine? Have you dropped the exhaust from the downpipe back?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

If a 6-sided box wrench will still grip it, use that and hit the end with a good ol fashion metal hammer. Cheapest and most effective "impact" wrench around.

Having said that, I pulled my motor with the cross-over still installed. Can't see why a one-piece would make it harder, assuming you pull the wastegate first. Heck, you'll want to replace it with a 2 (or three) piece anyway, you could always take a sawz-all to it now.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:45 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Alright **** this then I'm just going to yank it with the crossover on it.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:47 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Just have to get the bracket off that holds the WG to the torque tube. That can be a real bastard too...

And I'm with Tom, that one piece is useless, I would be cutting that thing up if it's slowing you down.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:26 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Engine in or out, you already have the best tool (second from left)
Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just drop the three bolts from the down pipe to the exhaust and pull it that way. Are you going out the top or out the bottom?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:42 PM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

If you are dropping the engine. Remove the down pipe, wastegate and support bracket. Mess with the rest of it when it's on an engine stand.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:43 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Definitely need to pull the down pipe?

I pulled the WG & bracket.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by amirpc
Definitely need to pull the down pipe?

I pulled the WG & bracket.

You just need to remove the catalytic converter (or test pipe) at the 3-bolt flange. Absolutely no need to pull the downpipe/turbo.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That bolt is indeed a pain in the *** and makes your arm in a very awkward position when working under the car. I was able to remove it using the same exact ratchet you have, 2nd to the left. Once it was loose enough, i was then able to use the boxed end of a stubby wrench to go the rest of the way.

Next time the turbo is out on my car (hopefully not anytime soon unless im putting in something like a GT28) i will be going with a 2-pc v-band'ed crossover for sure.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,395 Posts

amirpc, man you are toasted.....just like I was. I used about two cans of rust solvent, a lot of blood and finally restorted to my pal that has been Porsche tech most of his life. (Ok, cheated). That said, I did get all the exhaust pieces, turbo etc. off by myself. Only took a couple of months of frustration. I assume (their I go again) that going back together will be much easier. I sure have a lot more special tools now. I swear I can see pictures of parts now and tell you what is, where it goes and how many pints of my blood it took. Fun.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:59 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Own Goal
amirpc, man you are toasted.....just like I was. I used about two cans of rust solvent, a lot of blood and finally restorted to my pal that has been Porsche tech most of his life. (Ok, cheated). That said, I did get all the exhaust pieces, turbo etc. off by myself. Only took a couple of months of frustration. I assume (their I go again) that going back together will be much easier. I sure have a lot more special tools now. I swear I can see pictures of parts now and tell you what is, where it goes and how many pints of my blood it took. Fun.
Haha yeah I hear you man.

Its kind of fun in this twisted painful way. I have a feeling when I'm done it's going to be one of those things that I'm glad I did, but never want to have to do again.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:30 AM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
You just need to remove the catalytic converter (or test pipe) at the 3-bolt flange. Absolutely no need to pull the downpipe/turbo.
Sorry, that is what I was trying to type....
Old 02-17-2009, 12:41 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

soak it in PB blaster overnight to start with. Regardless if it is in or out this will help.

I'd leave just about everything attached and remove once it's dropped.

Quick Reply: Stuck bolt or perverse german form of torture