Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone else have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:59 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lorax
Funny enough I have had more than a dozen speeding tickets in almost as many states, and only one of them has been in either of the 2 951's I have owned. I have had more tickets in my toyota rav4. Automatics kill me every time.
DOH, there you go and tell everyone you drive a Rav-4....

I got a warning in my boat once....40 in a no wake zone....
Old 02-16-2009, 01:04 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got 16 points worth of tickets in a two week period :/ ended up with 10 points total and that should be down too 7 now that i took that course. Fast cars kill me.

funny story is that i owned a A4 and basically had to race everyone that wanted to race me(got nabbed by a black for Taurus that turned out to be a state trooper, dumb *** me). but when i had my 951 on the road i drove civil even with my friends all caravaning to a car show i still kept the speed limit( them doing 100+). funny story is they flew over this bridge and this state trooper flew out of a side road to grab them. didnt see me (doing 55mph) and almost slammed into me coming onto the road. Then he flipped out on my friend trying to get my name for some unknown reason.

cops are just looking to hose everyone.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:03 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
DOH, there you go and tell everyone you drive a Rav-4....

I got a warning in my boat once....40 in a no wake zone....
I swear you better not talk crap about the RAV.

It's a 130hp 27mpg 4wd trail killer based on a corolla.

And it's mean. Real mean.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:30 AM
eniac
Drifting

Yeah I have this same problem. People drive much faster in Detroit then anywhere else in Michigan...that's one problem. So here the average speed in 80mph on the highway. I can be going 90 and still get passed by quite a few cars, especially on I-75 going into detroit. I took a 4 hour trip north this past weekend and of course got a ticket. I was lucky....clocked at 90mph, the state cop dropped it to 76mph in a 70mph...this was the 4th time being pulled over for speeding but the only ticket I got.

In my car, 80-90 mph feels like a normal safe "slow" speed. At 60-70 mph I go nuts counting the white lines that go by trying to stay awake since it feels soooo slow. I'm actually more distracted and feel less safe driving at a slower speed.

The second problem is if I'm going 70 or 80 mph, wiggle my big toe, then blink...I'm quickly over 120mph yet it still feels like I'm just cruising along at normal speeds.

"Taking it to the track" makes this worse since my speeding is completely unintentional. The track only futher skews my whole perception of what feels fast.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:21 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hence my de-tune.

No tickets, but I could see them coming.

With the gearing/power in these cars it is very easy to be over 100.... run through the first three gears and ..boom ........ you are there quick. Shift to 4th and ..pow..140... bye bye DL.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:30 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

I havent gotten ANY speeding tickets in my 951 (I am, however, at the end of my rope so to speak from driving other cars) but the mid range rush is a problem.

You do the speed limit, say 70mph in the middle lane, and you want to pass someone. You hear the wooooooossssssssssshhhhh and the next thing you know youre doing 90-100. You make your pass, and get back into the lane and slow down. Conviently, an officer tags you during that pass and you get a nasty fine.

Im trying to be careful, one more ticket and im losing my driving privilages.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:15 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

I was alot like you mike. During my years of driving 944 n/a's. I never had a problem. Within a couple of months of me getting the turbo and getting it back from lindsey I was in all kinds of hell. I calmed down and only really got on it in certain spots and that seemed to work just fine.

Now years later and I haven't even driven my dang car my record is back to normal. I am however about to switch over to a NY license. Any words or wisdom considering we practically live ontop of one another?
Old 02-17-2009, 01:27 AM
lejams
Pro

Albeit a difficult one to adhere to at times, Ye'old Golden Rule helps - Never be the fastest car on the road
Old 02-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
I am however about to switch over to a NY license. Any words or wisdom considering we practically live ontop of one another?
If you get a ticket, play the game and go to traffic court. Say, "You caught me, can we reduce the charge?" Frequently you can get it out of the speeding category.

Thinking over the (numerous) tickets I've gotten over the years, I'd say the majority of them are from speed traps. Far fewer from just "passing a cop going the other way". I take this to mean that it's more important to obey town speed limits, but, between the towns, where the limit is frequently 55, you usually have some more latitude.

Only amateurs speed on the Thruway and Taconic.

Don't drink and drive (get caught). DWI tickets you can't fight yourself - you'll need a very expensive lawyer. NY is quite tough on intoxicated driving.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:59 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Van
If you get a ticket, play the game and go to traffic court. Say, "You caught me, can we reduce the charge?" Frequently you can get it out of the speeding category.

Thinking over the (numerous) tickets I've gotten over the years, I'd say the majority of them are from speed traps. Far fewer from just "passing a cop going the other way". I take this to mean that it's more important to obey town speed limits, but, between the towns, where the limit is frequently 55, you usually have some more latitude.

Only amateurs speed on the Thruway and Taconic.

Don't drink and drive (get caught). DWI tickets you can't fight yourself - you'll need a very expensive lawyer. NY is quite tough on intoxicated driving.
I don't really drink often. Certainly would never drink and drive. Thanks for the tips on the thruway. Are their lots of speed traps?

Around the midhudson valley area cops seem pretty lax. Although im sure when im in the city it will be just like home
Old 02-17-2009, 03:33 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

you want a list of where not to dive? dont even think about driving your car after 10 or expect to be pulled over for everything imaginable. especially in new paltz. there are 4 active police forces in new paltz and they are all out in force on thursday friday and saturday nights. staties, sherrifs, town cops, and the suny new paltz cops(they have the same power as the town cops)

thruway is nuts but i have never had problems on the taconic. just keep a radar detector and your fine on there.

and driving through rosendale slow down there is a cop that lives there names officer hastings and hes a state trooper. lives right on that road if he catches you doing 5 miles over he will rail you like you wouldnt believe. he would give his own mom a ticket.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Zack222
AutoX

Hastings got me on rt32 doing 57 in a 55. He's a pain!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:32 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Funny enough I have had more than a dozen speeding tickets in almost as many states, and only one of them has been in either of the 2 951's I have owned. I have had more tickets in my toyota rav4. Automatics kill me every time.
Haha...same here. I always speed way more in my gf's auto sable than any of my cars. Still never gotten any tickets though.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:45 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I swear you better not talk crap about the RAV.

It's a 130hp 27mpg 4wd trail killer based on a corolla.

And it's mean. Real mean.
Not talking crap about the RAV4, just not sure I would want to be caught driving one...I usualy stick to my P-cars or the Audi..

I only drive the Durango when I am hauling the whole family or pulling something behind it...but then my Durango only gets 12MPG at best....

Only ticket I have gotten in YEARS was in My 85 Subaru Brat (DOH there I go admitting I drove a BRAT)...LOL
Old 02-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Not talking crap about the RAV4, just not sure I would want to be caught driving one...I usualy stick to my P-cars or the Audi..

I only drive the Durango when I am hauling the whole family or pulling something behind it...but then my Durango only gets 12MPG at best....

Only ticket I have gotten in YEARS was in My 85 Subaru Brat (DOH there I go admitting I drove a BRAT)...LOL
That's good, I was going to have to send the rennlist hit squad after you

Quick Reply: Anyone else have this problem?